OK, not so perfectly primal (apples/cider), but the taste is wonderful and the pork was so tender!

Caramelized 2 large onions. Set aside.
I took a 2 3/4 lb bone-in pork shoulder roast and browned it on all sides in dutch oven. Added salt
Added onions and 2 honeycrisp apples, cored and sliced thick. Tossed in 2 bay leaves
Poured in 2 c apple cider and 1c beef broth and brought to boil.
Can either simmer on stove for 2.5 hours or put in oven at 300 (covered)

VERY simple and very good! I reduced the pan juices after removing the roast when it was done, but to avoid that fruit sugar you can just eat the roast without any juices and even without the onion/apple mash. Next time I will flip the juice/broth ratio to see if I still get that wonderful fall flavor.

I was busy yesterday afternoon, so the roast actually braised in the oven for 3 hours. My daughter turned off the oven at 2.5 hours for me, but it continued to sit in the warm oven until I got home. The meat just fell off the bone. That wonderful pork fat rendered and melted in my mouth! I used the fat to mix with my kabocha squash. Perfection.

I had a chunk for breakfast this morning. Oh, yum. I might try to incorporate bacon next time, too. Comfort food all around. My husband and daughter chowed down. The boys? They had something else. Not sure what to do about those boys. They remain a mystery.