Thread: AWESOME pork shoulder (butt) roast recipe! page

PHaselow is offline Senior Member

AWESOME pork shoulder (butt) roast recipe!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OK, not so perfectly primal (apples/cider), but the taste is wonderful and the pork was so tender!

Caramelized 2 large onions. Set aside.
    I took a 2 3/4 lb bone-in pork shoulder roast and browned it on all sides in dutch oven. Added salt
    Added onions and 2 honeycrisp apples, cored and sliced thick. Tossed in 2 bay leaves
    Poured in 2 c apple cider and 1c beef broth and brought to boil.
    Can either simmer on stove for 2.5 hours or put in oven at 300 (covered)

VERY simple and very good! I reduced the pan juices after removing the roast when it was done, but to avoid that fruit sugar you can just eat the roast without any juices and even without the onion/apple mash. Next time I will flip the juice/broth ratio to see if I still get that wonderful fall flavor.

I was busy yesterday afternoon, so the roast actually braised in the oven for 3 hours. My daughter turned off the oven at 2.5 hours for me, but it continued to sit in the warm oven until I got home. The meat just fell off the bone. That wonderful pork fat rendered and melted in my mouth! I used the fat to mix with my kabocha squash. Perfection.

I had a chunk for breakfast this morning. Oh, yum. I might try to incorporate bacon next time, too. Comfort food all around. My husband and daughter chowed down. The boys? They had something else. Not sure what to do about those boys. They remain a mystery.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    That sounds awesome. Especially with the kabocha squash. That is one of my favorite foods ever.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    What's not primal about that?
    The amount of fructose that would be present would be minimal. Nothing wrong with fruit.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Walkerdog is offline Junior Member
    Sounds awesome! Here's another recipe to try.
    Wet rub... In a food processor, throw 12 garlic cloves, 2 tbsp oregano, 2 tbsp ground cumin and pulse 10 times for a second each. Through the lid on processor pour 4 tbsp orange juice and then enough olive oil to make it a wet paste or slurry.

Pork shoulder - brine overnight ( use salt solution recipe brine from an Internet recipe)
    Brine over night, make sure you stab the pork shoulder like a maniac so brine enters easier.

The next day, slather the wet rub all over the pork. Stick the pig in the oven on a broiler pan at 225 degrees and let slow cook until internal temperature of 190 degrees. I usually smoke the butt or shoulder for 8 hrs but have found the oven does a good enough job. The wet rub makes a beautiful bark on the outside of the pork. I have made this 100's of times and get rave reviews every time. Like I said, I like to just leave it cook overnight and boy does the house smell awesome the next morning.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    That sounds great! I've found a source for 100% Berkshire pork. It is superb. I'll be making your recipe next week.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    That sounds great! I've found a source for 100% Berkshire pork. It is superb. I'll be making your recipe next week.
    Berkshire is... amazing.

I love pork butt, and my simple go-to is to rub it down with olive oil, a generous cover of S&P and rough-chopped rosemary, then lard in cloves of garlic until it's studded all over. Simple, classic, the pork flavor really marries well and shines through.

Damn. You've made me hungry.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Ahh...

When I get home from sending off grandfather I'll be roasting some pork.
    The comfort food will be much appreciated then.
    And no doubts... pork butt slow roasted with onions, garlic, apples, and spices IS premium comfort food.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

joeobowyer is offline Junior Member
    That is one of my favorite foods ever.