Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Coke Zero free, high fat Paleo journey. page 3

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I am a language geek and love the discussion on language here! I am from the American deep South and we have our own share of language. Often southerners from Florida and Georgia are called crackers, possibly from the crack the cowboy's whip makes. We don't say a little of something..it is 'just a tad'. Maybe from tadpoles? In the Keys area of Florida natives are called conchheads from the conch shells. We have breakfast, lunch and supper. It used to be that lunch was the big meal of the day to fuel the day's hard work. Now it is supper. And of course there is the ubiquitous "y'all"...meaning any group more than one As in "y'all come back now, you hear!".

3 rashers bacon, on buttered cabbage
    I have always wondered how much a rasher is?
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Century Gothic]You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    hello fellow cunning linguists!
    I just remembered a little bit of South African terminology. The staple remover (jawed device used to take staples out) is called a 'mother-in-law'.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Hi Valmasson01 and Badgergirl,
    well out of all those terms you said I have only heard of tad and y'all. Think the older generation here, my mum and gran etc when they were alive would say "a tad more" if they were offered more cake.
    I like the MIL for a stapler.

A rasher of bacon is just a thin slice of bacon. Though I know when we in Florida the supermarket didnt seem to have bacon like we did at home.
    Last edited by annedawso; 10-17-2012 at 01:27 AM.

A rasher of bacon is just a thin slice of bacon. Though I know when we in Florida the supermarket didnt seem to have bacon like we did at home.
    How funny! I have always pictured a rasher of bacon as being a huge amount. What is the difference in the bacon here and in the UK? (I am also a culture and anthropology geek. I love anything about other cultures and how they are the same/different.)

I like the MIL for a stapler.
    Huh??
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Century Gothic]You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    hello fellow cunning linguists!
    I just remembered a little bit of South African terminology. The staple remover (jawed device used to take staples out) is called a 'mother-in-law'.

Oops! I read the posts out of order. Now I see. How funny! I love it.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

I have only just realised "cunning linguists" is a double entendre. Badgergirl I am shocked and embarrassed that I didn't realise sooner.
    I always have to have jokes explained.

Bacon rashers, not sure what US bacon is like, but here's UK's.
    http://www.picturenation.co.uk/view/...rashers&page=1
    Last edited by annedawso; 10-17-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
    I have only just realised "cunning linguists" is a double entendre.
    I can hear Moneypenny's voice saying that line to James Bond

I had to come and visit your journal because I'm tackling my coke zero addiction yet again. I'm loving the language conversations, though - in NZ we have lots of similarities with England, but have the influence of US TV programmes, as well as our own ways of doing things. My English friends say that they thought they'd have no trouble when they emigrated, but found out that we have quite a different way of saying some things. One of the things that cracks me up lately is the athletes talking about bonking on their marathons. Hmmmm - even though I know what they're talking about, I still have the mental image of runners or cyclists ripping off their tank tops, grabbing a fellow competitor, and running off to bonk during a race.

We usually talk about breakfast, lunch and tea. Supper is the treat right before bed. Sweet as
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Hi Jac,
    Can't remember it from James Bond films but just googled it.
    I've just cold turkey end on the coke zero. Though I have done this before for several weeks and eventually succumbed again. Thi
    My uncle and his family emigrated to NZ about 10 years ago. I think to Auckland (my geography is rubbish) His kids all love it, however he misses England, though doubt he would ever come back to live.
    I can remember he moved from a 3 bedroom semi bar a busy road in Liverpool to a detached house with a swimming pool. Fabulous.

We use both bomkng to mean both in the UK. It is amazing all the different variations of words between English speaking countries. I shouldn't be surprised as there are loads of regional different meaning for words in the UK.
    Last edited by annedawso; 10-17-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Wednesday
    Breakfast – boiled egg x 2
    Lunch salmon and lettuce
    Tea: chicken thigh. Cabbage in butter, roasted cauliflower
    Snack 50g macadamia nuts

Eating the nuts to get my fat and salt numbers up, will stop if starts affecting weight loss.

Exercise – 20 minutes walk
    30 minutes heavy weights in gym
    7 minutes of 30 second walks then sprints (fastest 10 miles per hour)

Coke zero free for 10 days!!!!!!
    Last edited by annedawso; 10-18-2012 at 12:51 AM.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
    I shouldn't be surprised as there are loads of regional different meaning for words in the UK.
    Tight= someone who is mean with money. Except on the Isle, when I was a lassie...
    Tight=frigid
    Cue confusion when, as a youngster, I left the Isle for brief jaunts and talked to overners (people who live over the water/on the mainland).
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast