Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Coke Zero free, high fat Paleo journey. page 2

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hi anne!

We went to an Oscar Wilde play last night, and all those fake English accents up on stage made me think of all the real English I talk to here on the MDA. Just that. Hope you are doing well!

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    growing up I ate breakfast, lunch and dinner
    For the Family Crabbcakes: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This family has never used the term "supper", although we run up against it in children's literature as in "...then she was sent to her bed without her supper".

"Tea time" is something you especially travel to a fancy tea house to partake of and you must make reservations at the closest one to here as they are always full and otherwise nobody would ever get in. This family drinks herbal teas at home regularly out of teapots and all, but we don't call it anything special except "I am making a pot of tea, does anybody want some?" and it happens at any hour at all - just whenever someone feels the hankering for some tea.

Common phrase in the US - "brown bag it" is a colloquial phrase and equals bringing your own lunch, although it may or may not actually be in the brown paper bag (it may be in some fancy-schmancy city-chic lunch kit with matching containers and stuff). If the Europeans here don't know what a (brown) lunch bag is, it is a plain small brown paper bag that are just called and labelled "lunch bags" here in the US and come in packages of 50, and in one standard size. Those brown paper bags are permanent stock at all stores everywhere and are used for much more than just lunches - they are used for more crafts than you can count. All forms of "packing lunch" are used, too, like "packed lunch", "bring your own packed lunch", "don't forget to pack a lunch", etc.

Then there is the "after-school snack" for the school age set. And the "midnight snack" for those who like to raid the fridge in the middle of the night. Brunch happens sometimes (= BReakfast and lUNCH portmanteau, and replaces both meals - you wait a little longer for your breakfast and then skip lunch as the meal will be heartier than the typical breakfast here).

We have lots of other terms, but they are descriptive of what kind of food event is happening: tailgate party, picnic, barbecue, hog roast, cookout, wine tasting, less often "feast" (usually a religious term), sometimes a banquet, pizza party, cocktail party, weenie roast, crab boil... the list is looooong.

...and now I am hungry!

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    I remember seeing on Oscar Wilde plays at school. The aristocratic accent always seemed really strange to me. We have cup of tea several times a day in ours, though just make it in my china mugs, no teapot to me.
    Thanks for the explanation of "brown bag it" actually looking at your term for brunch that is what I do of a weekend. Will start calling it that.
    I have bought some of those brown paper bags in a local shop, so I know what you mean.
    We have picnics, BBQ's, go for a Chinese Banquet (which means loads of courses.) I take a packed lunch to work each day, as do my husband and kids. Apart from youngest as he is on "hot dinners" - or school lunches.
    If we are in a restaurant and can't eat it all we ask "can we take a doggy bag home" which will contn the leftovers.
    Well we could ask but I never really do, but I know some people do. Maybe not in posh restaurants, though I don't eat in them!!!!

Saturday

(My new word) Brunch - fry up consisting of fried bacon, eggs and black pudding LOVE MY SATURDAY FRYUP.
    Tea - chicken with loads of skin, roasted sprouts in coconut oil
    Exercise
    60 minute intensive circuit training
    30 minutes walk at the beach.
    90 minutes tidy up of house.

Please to announce no coke zero, though my tea consumption has increased. Need to drink more water.
    Generally feel very well eating high fat, lots more energy. Felt great at circuit training today. There were a couple of girls at least half my age there today and they just couldn't do the plyometric jumping around we have to do. Made me realise how fit I have become.
    Woohoo. Going to classes has pushed me more than I could ever do myself.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Here's a new word for all of you: nammet. Which is a Caulkhead dialect word for lunch. Caulkheads are natives of the Isle of Wight, presumably because they caulked boats, but who really knows. My father's theory is that 'nammet' is a contraction of 'no meat', but again who knows. There are a few hundred dialect words, but honestly very, very few people know about them, let alone use them. I catch myself using 'somewhen' quite often though, which is another IoW oddity, instead of 'sometime'.

Good luck with breaking your attachment to Coke Zero - I'm fighting to break up with wine and peanut butter, false comforts both.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

I thought "caulkhead" might have come from "chalk" like those Dover cliffs I have seen pictures of. "Somewhen" I have heard before, and have used occasionally.

Here in the wilds of my hills, we had to get used to some local terminology as well. A "grinny" is a chipmunk. A "warble" is a kind of wormy larval thing that grows just under the skin of animals and when the boil erupts, leaves an awful large open lesion. All the farmers here know how to heal that thing. Blech! And ground beef is called "hamburg".

In the US, we often call/refer to each other by the names of our state nicknames. Ohioans are "Buckeyes" because Ohio is the Buckeye State. Hubby is a Hoosier because Indiana (where he mostly grew up) is the Hoosier State. All 50 states have official nicknames. Once I even got yelled at across an entire parking lot here - some guy just yelled out "Hey Garden State!!!" and I responded because I was the only one in the parking lot with New Jersey license plates (happened here in Ohio before we moved from NJ and NJ is the Garden State). Lots of university sports teams call themselves by their state nickname as well. For football, we have the Ohio State Buckeyes, and female athletes are often referred to as "lady Buckeyes".

Good job with the Coke thing. Right now I am wishing I had never heard of a Whole30. No nuthin' fun to eat.

Sunday Weigh in 151lb. Hurray. My high fat diet is having positive results on the weighing scales front.

Breakfast – boiled egg ( we were eating out and I didn’t want to go restaurant hungry
    Lunch Mushrooms drizzled in cheese and cream. Antipasti (just the meat) salad. Coffee with cream x 2
    Tea: home made broccoli, leek and stilton soup. Bacon x 2, egg, chicken thigh.

Exercise – not much -20 minutes Frisbee on the park.
    60 minutes walking around shops while husband and youngest played mini golf. I spent at least 30 minutes looking at flasks to take a hot drink to the football matches. (how sad am I.)

Never heard of any of your words before Badgergirl and Crabbcakes, not even the caulkhead.
    Didn’t know each state had a nickname. Liverpool folk are called “scousers”
    Good luck with your peanut butter and wine. I adore reeses peanut butter, but they are totally off the menu at the moment as unbelievably I have been eating really well for a week!!!! plus with the bonus of no chemicals from coke zero

My friend and I are going for a personal shopper experience in a Department store at the beginning of November, where they show you clothes that will suit you. We get to spend 225 each on clothes, get a makeover and a goody bag. It cost 200 (though I have not told my husband - he is on a strict need to know only basis!!! So my aim is to weigh 147lb by then, but I fear it may be wishful thinking.
    Hope Bess is OK havent seen her on the Boards lately

Quote Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
    My friend and I are going for a personal shopper experience in a Department store at the beginning of November, where they show you clothes that will suit you. We get to spend 225 each on clothes, get a makeover and a goody bag. It cost 200 (though I have not told my husband - he is on a strict need to know only basis!!! So my aim is to weigh 147lb by then, but I fear it may be wishful thinking.
    Can I come with you, pleeeeeeeze?? Sounds like incredible fun!

Monday

Breakfast – boiled egg ( we were eating out and I didn’t want to go restaurant hungry
    Lunch - tongue, lettuce, olive oil, balsamic vinegar
    Tea: 3 rashers bacon, on buttered cabbage

Was reading that when you eat high fat you should have salt, so been adding it to my food.
    Feeling food, been waiting to feel rubbish but surprisingly full of energy.

Exercise – 50 minutes circuit training
    20 minute Walk at lunch time.
    Last edited by annedawso; 10-16-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Tuesday got weighed 150 lb(cannot recall when I was last this weight.) the high fat diet up to now is really helping weight loss. I am up to 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs today. Feeling really full with all the fat and unusually not tempted to eat chocolate.

Worked from home today.
    Brunch: bacon slices x 3, egg fried in olive oil
    Snack 50 g macadamia nuts salted.
    Tea - salmon fried in butter and topped with grated cheese
    Coffee with cream

Going to Zumba for 60 minutes later
    Last edited by annedawso; 10-16-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Meant to change weight to 150lb

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast