Thread: Need some calisthenic ideas page

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member

Need some calisthenic ideas

Primal Fuel
    So, while moving into a new apartment a few weeks ago, I missed a step going downstairs and..yeah..my knee hurts....anyways, I took the last three weeks off..only really did some walking as my only exercise...lots of stretching and what not. This last weekend it felt a lot better, I can go into the squat "sitting" position and the seiza position comfortably and decided to try going back to the gym..miserable. Even the warmup squat sets with the bar hurt like all hell..wasn't even able to complete one set of five at 95 pounds without intense pain in my knee.

So anyways, decided to give my knee some more time. Figured I'd do some calisthenics. Haven't done a body weight only program in a while and know I could use it and my gym is really good at suspending memberships for injury, vacation, etc so figured I could go this route for a couple months while I recoup.

So, long story short, anyone got any links to any programs they recommend I look at, if only for inspiration if nothing else. Probably wont be solely body weight, probably want to use my sandbags or kettlebells for carrying and for my back since I don't have anything sturdy enough to do pullups or chinups in my immediate vicinity. The vast majority of my strength training, for awhile, has been barbell focused. While strong, I know my body weight stuff is lacking, so something novice or beginner level would be nice...kinda to gauge.

Thanks

TheTeddy is offline Member
    PBF works wonders for me, and it's free from Mark too. It scales to any level, level 4 being your standard push up, pull up, front/side plank, and squat. It goes to level 8; level 9 being adding weight and such.

Danio ZG is offline Junior Member
    I've been having good results and a lot of fun with Convict Conditioning. The progressions are the best thing about the program IMO. The earlier steps are great for coming back from injuries.

The link to the book: http://www.dragondoor.com/shop-by-department/books/b41/

A topic on this forum: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread48485.html
    Last edited by Danio ZG; 10-10-2012 at 06:15 AM.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    I'll second Convict Conditioning. I've used it with great results, and now I'm back on it after a shoulder injury...which the early CC progressions helped me to rehab.
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

zilog is offline Senior Member
    something I've been wondering about the guys like Coach Wade/Al Kavadlo/etc. Although they train almost exclusively with bodyweight now, did they not all start off with traditional weights like barbells? Is that the best (quickest) way to get strong before progressing onto bodyweight training for "feats of strength" like pistol squat, handstand pushup and ultimately human flag? I must admit I tried CC but found it too slow & tedious in the early stages, unlike barbells where you basically start heavy and go heavier right away!

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    something I've been wondering about the guys like Coach Wade/Al Kavadlo/etc. Although they train almost exclusively with bodyweight now, did they not all start off with traditional weights like barbells?
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I did a hybrid of weight training and calisthenics for many years before switching exclusively to bodyweight training, which gave me a foundation towards getting more advanced calisthenics moves like HSPUs, human flag, etc. Though I've met people who've never lifted weights and got strong enough to do these things with just bodyweight. (By the way, both HSPUs and the flag still took a lot of skill specific training to acquire - I talk a bit about my journey to the human flag on my blog.)

Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    Is that the best (quickest) way to get strong before progressing onto bodyweight training for "feats of strength" like pistol squat, handstand pushup and ultimately human flag? I must admit I tried CC but found it too slow & tedious in the early stages, unlike barbells where you basically start heavy and go heavier right away!
    There is no "best" or "quick" way to get results. Regardless of modality, getting strong takes lots of patience and practice. Some people prefer bodyweight or weights for various reasons, but anyone who is strong put in a lot of time and effort to get that way.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

zilog is offline Senior Member
    There is no "best" or "quick" way to get results. Regardless of modality, getting strong takes lots of patience and practice. Some people prefer bodyweight or weights for various reasons, but anyone who is strong put in a lot of time and effort to get that way.
    Thanks for the reply! Makes sense, I guess I've got a lot of work ahead of me!

breetbree is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i usually do my pull ups and chinups first, those are what i'm worst at. then i do lots of different push up variations like wide grip, diamond, feet elevated, (and i use perfect push ups). even though i hate them because they leave me sore for days, i do squats and lunges with a 40 lb weighted vest. hold yourself up on the edge of a table in sitting position, have someone hold your legs out, while you do dips, they can do squats. burpees are good because it's push ups and cardio at one time! hope that gives you the idea for some starter stuff. i'm trying to work my way into doing hand stand pushups (: