View Poll Results: How should I remedy this?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cut out dairy

3 37.50%
  • Sleep more

0 0%
  • Other or combination of two

5 62.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16, Acne? page

Bischov is offline Junior Member

16, Acne?

Seeing as this could be primarily due to my diet, I posted here.

Ok, to the point. I have a lot of acne. It sucks, haha. I get it mostly on my face, chest, back, and most recently a few blemishes on my arms.

Have been primal for 6 month, lost 30 pounds, lifts went up, sleeping and feeling better, and recently did my first pull up. I sleep 9 hours a night, what else could be affecting my stress levels/acne breakouts? U do drink milk, so that's a possibility.

Any thoughts on acne, primal troubleshooting, and overcoming it will be VERY welcome.

And g'night, off for my 9 hours.

Also, I hit puberty years ago, but have recently noticed even more hair on my chest, stomach, arms, and face. Friends have noted my voice getting even deeper. Maybe a hormone influx?

bump.

RobinNM is offline Senior Member
    I would definitely try getting rid of the milk. It could help with the acne and it will probably help your ooverall health as well. A non food things to thing about is change your pillow case every night. Not rubbing the same oils into your face for eight hours every night will make a big difference - it did for me. You can buy inexpensive pillow cases at WalMart. Think about the soap you are using and make sure it has no additional oils or anything like that. An antimicrobial soap woud probably work well. Good luck. Hope you get a handle on it.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Here's my take on it.

When I was 12/13, I started to get really bad acne. I was a very clean eater overall. my mother was into very healthy, simple foods, and I ate mostly meat, veg, and fruit. Grains were minimal, because I don't care for them. Modest sugar and fried foods. Very little processed foods. Lots of sleep. Every angle you could think of to rid myself of acne (from natural to prescription treatments).

Basically, nothing worked.

Then, I turned 18. My skin cleared up miraculously. I was eating the same, sleeping the same, exercising the same, etc.

It was just the hormones. Honestly. Weird, but true. I haven't had acne like that since!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure at your age, the hormones are the main problem, but you coułd try to cut the dairy. That seems to help the adult sufferers on here.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Topical application of a benzoyl peroxide cream. I don't know why, but I break out occasionally since I moved to a warm climate. A gentle cleanser followed by benzoyl peroxide cream seems to clear it up. I've tried letting them run their course, but that seems to make the situation worse.

I use a product called AcneFree Severe. It's a 10% concentration. I'm sure there is probably some long term affect from using benzoyl peroxide, so do a google search to make an informed decision. Since my acne only seems to happen a few times per year, I'm not that worried about a topical cream this strong.

You will grow out of it, but my mother and my brother had terrible adolescent acne, so I know telling you that you'll grow out of it is small comfort. Good luck.

proo is offline Member
    Are you using topical products?
    Sometimes they can actually cause acne by destroying your natural acid mantle.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    I had horrible acne while I was a teen. I tried all medication out there (with the exception of accutane, which was going to be the next step. I think it's been pulled of the shelf since then). My sister told me about ProActive. I was very skeptical that it would work since no other topical options had worked for me (all prescription - not off the shelf stuff). I used it as it was directed and have not have any acne outbreaks for the past decade. I get the occasional pimple at that time of the month, but use it during that week and they all go away. No scaring at all (didn't do much picking, which obviously likely helped a lot). I used to drink A LOT of dairy (from Canada - may be different than what's sold where you are). If you haven't tried it, you may want to give it a shot for about 3-6 months, see if there is any improvements. Not super expensive either. Best of luck!

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think at your age it's definately hormone related. But there are things that might help. Removing dairy is one.

I know this sounds crazy but it usually works. I have two teenage daughters who had mild acne and found this has helped them tramendously. They have even gotten alot of thier friends at school to use it with great sucess. I have them apply Apple cider vinegar to thier face like you would a toner (smells horendous unfortunately). Meaning at night before bed they take a cotton ball and apply the ACV to freshly cleaned skin. It works like a natural Retenol A. As the ACV has alot of Vitamin A in it as well as C and many others. I also use this as a wrinkle inhibitor daily on myself. I then have them apply coconut oil to thier faces instead of using a moisturizer. This feels wierd the first few times you use it. Kind of the oppisite (oily feeling) of what you think you need when you have acne but the coconut oil is rich in antibiotics and is very nourishing to the skin. It usually soaks into the skin really quickly. Both my daughters acne have disappeared and they now will not go without the ACV and coconut oil. They even take a little container of Coconut oil to school for after PE class.
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast