Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is it best to eat fish instead of taking fish oil supplementation page 2

Rich Capalbo is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    there is a certain romance to the image of a band of groks, spears in hand, chasing down and killing large prey. that being said, it's much easier to scoop small fish, catch turtles and snakes and harvest mollusks. it's a project one could do in a scant amount of time and have plenty of food, vs. possibly coming up empty-handed after a hunt. "fishing" and small critter collecting could be easily done by women, children and the elderly too. it requires little strength and no fleetness of foot.

yes, eat fish. i know the carlson's is a good brand, but stuff like this is way better gotten from food.
    Not to mention stealing eggs from nests (mind the ostrich).

jakey is offline Senior Member
    two things - 1) don't read anymore jack kruse; 2) thankfully he's quite right on this one.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    The simple answer is 'yes'. The other answer is longer. Since I apparently love to see my crap in print, I will tell you:

I see you don't like fish. So, make sure you make the effort to eat the biggest bang for the buck: WILD caught Pacific/cold water salmon. Cold water, fatty fish in general have the highest Omega 3 content. Anchovies, mackeral (Atlantic), sardines. If you don't like fish, you might *hate* those. Pacific black cod is also high in Omega 3s.

Halibut is OK source. Shrimp are a little less.

It really is important to attend to the source and farming practices. Like beef, fish fed on farmed food diets will not have the fatty acid content you desire.

A little fish oil in capsules won't hurt.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    two things - 1) don't read anymore jack kruse; 2) thankfully he's quite right on this one.
    wah ha ha ha ha
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    agreed - jack kruse is spot on wrt seafood.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    It really is important to attend to the source and farming practices. Like beef, fish fed on farmed food diets will not have the fatty acid content you desire.
    i simply don't buy any farmed fish anymore. the flavor is awful and they eat an utterly unnatural diet of soy and corn. they barely swim and live in very crowded conditions. complete yuk in every way. i eat canned wild salmon a few times per week and fresh local wild fish or oysters at least once per week.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    We are fortunate to live in an area where wild-caught alaskan salmon is easy to get, and relatively inexpensive. Our son, as a matter of fact, spent the summer in Alaska, on a fishing boat, hand catching wild salmon! (I think his Omega 3 levels are probably pretty darned fantastic right now - pretty much all they eat on the boats during the season is the fish) He brought us home some fresh/frozen fillets that he caught.

That being said, I also take the Carlson cod liver oil. I have always been a huge believer in cod liver oil, especially since I have used it, successfully, several times to ward off strep throat [imagine long, detailed anecdotal account]. Now, I'm using it more often to ensure enough O3s.

Once I am in "perfect health", I might back down the fish oil... for right now, I consider it to just be a good idea.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaeVynn View Post
    We are fortunate to live in an area where wild-caught alaskan salmon is easy to get, and relatively inexpensive. Our son, as a matter of fact, spent the summer in Alaska, on a fishing boat, hand catching wild salmon! (I think his Omega 3 levels are probably pretty darned fantastic right now - pretty much all they eat on the boats during the season is the fish) He brought us home some fresh/frozen fillets that he caught.

That being said, I also take the Carlson cod liver oil. I have always been a huge believer in cod liver oil, especially since I have used it, successfully, several times to ward off strep throat [imagine long, detailed anecdotal account]. Now, I'm using it more often to ensure enough O3s.

Once I am in "perfect health", I might back down the fish oil... for right now, I consider it to just be a good idea.
    My son, as a toddler, had tons of sweet potato colored ear wax. To boost his language abilities (autism), I started using Carlson's CLO for brain development (1 generous teaspoon/day). Within 2 weeks, all of that ear wax formation had disappeared.

I started researching, and found in a veterinary journal (yes, dogs), that excessive ear wax was a sign of an Omega 3 fatty acid deficiency. Although my son is not a German Shepherd cited in the study, I attribute his physical changes to the fatty acids.

I kept him on fish oil and cod liver oil for several years. Essential fatty acids are a mighty force.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    That is fascinating. I've always had weird ear wax issues. Huh.

I'm going to go chug some fish oil now...

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    My son, as a toddler, had tons of sweet potato colored ear wax. To boost his language abilities (autism), I started using Carlson's CLO for brain development (1 generous teaspoon/day). Within 2 weeks, all of that ear wax formation had disappeared.
    wow. amazing. am hearing more and more about parents experimenting with their children's diets to help with autism and learning disorders and having brilliant success.

way to be proactive.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12