Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long did it take you to lose 40 pounds? And... page 3

dreadlockmama is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks again, everyone. This thread is such an encouragement.

I just started primal living on October 1st.

What I am beginning to understand is that although each person is unique and therefore the pace of weight loss will be individualized, there do seem to be some tried and true tips that work for many/most people.

Thank you so much!

I want to believe this will work for me...and I need to keep pressing forward and learn as I go.

dlm

Quote Originally Posted by Donna* View Post
    Dreadlockmama, my back pain has almost gone (had a couple of twinges over a couple of days last week and the week before), the pain in my knees has totally gone, I could not have considered doing squats or lunges at the start of this. I didn't feel safe walking downstairs holding my granddaughter, my knees felt as if they were going to give way and were very painful. I still have a sore elbow from a fall down the stairs a few months ago (thankfully, not carrying my granddaughter at that time) and I am hoping that having bone broth daily will help to improve this soon. All other pre-primal aches and pains completely gone and energy levels very much improved. I have moments of feeling incredible happiness for no reason throughout the day and I attribute this to eating food that nourishes my body correctly, generally much happier! Hope it goes well for you, Good Luck
    AWESOME! And very encouraging! Thanks Donna...and congrats on your pain free back, increased energy and bouts of incredible happiness!

dlm

Quote Originally Posted by dogfuel View Post
    .... but it was only after I realized calories DO matter, even when eating primaly or intermittently fasting, and stepped up the exercise, was able to average 1-2 lbs/week.
    Thanks...that's some seriously good advice!

dlm

WIChuck is offline Member
    When I did my bigger weight loss, It was about one pound per week. At the time, I was doing a pretty severe low carb diet.

Now that I'm primal, I'm losing about the same per week, but have gotten to a point where I'm building muscle and losing bad inches faster than losing weight. I've lost about 20 lbs from the end of April to today, still close to 1 lb per week, but I lost a lot around my waist and have built strength.

So far, I've gone from 210 to 160 and I still have few more pounds to go.

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    I lost 40 lbs from mid October to beginning of March, with a few breaks from my plan, for the holidays.

Lost it doing alternate day intermittent fasting with SAD
    Transitioned to maintenance in March and began doing the 5:2 IF plan and lost a bit more
    Then decided to go primal in April and in the few weeks of that I've lost more-have cut back my IF days to just one a week, because the weight loss is continuing
    Hit a new low today, so now I don't know what to do.

Last October my weight was 171, today it's 124.5lbs. I've gone from a size 14 jean to a size 2. Surreal!

Exercise-I did nothing during my weight loss phase. In March, when I started transitioning to maintenance, I started walking several times a week. In April I started Mark Lauren's Body By You strength training program (love it!). I now walk ten miles a week (5 days/2miles).
    Last edited by mom23kids; 05-10-2013 at 06:07 AM.
    *~Sara~*

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    A few years back it took me 7 months of long walks and intermittent fasting (though I didn't realize there was a name for what I was doing) to lose 30 pounds without a focus on losing weight specifically. This time I was restricting my intake, and the first 40 pounds took about 6 months.

Primal-V is offline Member

Cool

Hi there,

I've lost 36lbs so far in about 10 months, (my aim was around 45 total) like so many people the loss was greatest at the start (7lbs in 2 weeks!) but the last 4lbs has taken 5 months. It's easy to say, but try not to get caught up in the numbers and how long it takes. Try to focus on how well you've done each day (set goals like not eating breakfast cereal, I started aiming for 2 primal meals out of 3, then moved on from there). I also put stars in my diary for each day I didn't eat sugar for the first couple of weeks.

It gets easier and the weight WILL come off, but you have to try to focus on the process not the goals. I'm waaay less worried about the last 10lbs than I thought I'd be, I'm holding steady at around 148lbs which is technically overweight for my height, but my waist to hip ratio is 0.68 (which is excellent) and as a curvy girl perhaps my body likes this weight.

However you cut it I've turned the tide of insidious weight gain, I eat food I love (which now seems 'normal' to me) and eat indulgent things when I fancy them (generally primal treats). I eat lots of veggies and my weight is stable (possibly dropping very slowly), I now appreciate that it's not a race, this is a comfortable meander through life enjoying the scenery on the way.

Primal living will give you things you never expected, just stick with it and let your body show you what it wants to be!

Best of luck

BlueGlaucus is offline Junior Member
    jan 6th to march 8th to lose 40lbs (72lbs 2 days ago), long way to go and starting with more to lose than most ~150lbs in total.
    1200-1800 calories a day with one day a week 3000calories, so can have an Indian mixed grill, kebab or other low carb takeaway. Not eating burnt calories from exercise unless I'm absolutely starving.
    Max 75g a day carbs
    one can of mackerel a day pretty much every day for lunch.
    cooked chicken breast, brazil nuts or low carb jerky for snacks (1 a day max)
    breakfast is usually two eggs poached in onion, green leaf and chopped tomato sauce. or a fish omelette, things along those lines
    Dinner is a normal meal, meat and veg and most of my days calories 800+ is usual. rather feel fall once a day than eat often and feel hungry all the time, a big meal usually sorts me out for most of the day 6-7pm till 1-2pm the next day without hunger cravings. Lots of people say eat little and often, this just doesn't work for me, listen to what your body says is a must.

Lots of walking. A few miles most days(3-6miles, walk to work or the supermarket or something) + 1 long walk a week, that long walk is now up to 20miles. Got a charity event in September which is 31miles and doing Kilimajaro in October 2014 so there's a good reason for the walking.

I think the biggest thing is to set a target that costs money, tell everyone and thus it'll keep you motivated, otherwise you look like a fool. Kili is costing me ~2.5k and the best thing I've ever signed up for, always wanted to do it since a kid anyway.
    Primal sorts the physical cravings out, but it doesn't sort the psychological cravings out.
    Last edited by BlueGlaucus; 05-10-2013 at 10:52 AM.

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadlockmama View Post
    Hi everyone,

If you have lost 40+ pounds...

How long did it take to lose that 40?

What was your basic diet and exercise strategy?

What do you feel was the secret to your success?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Thanks,

dlm
    About a month and a half...
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueGlaucus View Post
    jan 6th to march 8th to lose 40lbs (72lbs 2 days ago), long way to go and starting with more to lose than most ~150lbs in total.
    1200-1800 calories a day with one a day a week 3000calories, so can have an Indian mixed grill, kebab or other low carb takeaway. Not eating burnt calories from exercise unless I'm absolutely starving.
    Max 75g a day carbs
    one can of mackerel a day pretty much every day for lunch.
    cooked chicken breast, brazil nuts or low carb jerky for snacks (1 a day max)
    breakfast is usually two eggs poached in onion, green leaf and chopped tomato sauce. or a fish omelette, things along those lines
    Dinner is a normal meal, meat and veg and most of my days calories 800+ is usual. rather feel fall once a day than eat often and feel hungry all the time, a big meal usually sorts me out for most of the day 6-7pm till 1-2pm the next day without hunger cravings. Lots of people say eat little and often, this just doesn't work for me, listen to what your body says is a must.

Lots of walking. A few miles most days(3-6miles, walk to work or the supermarket or something) + 1 long walk a week, that long walk is now up to 20miles. Got a charity event in September which is 31miles and doing Kilimajaro in October 2014 so there's a good reason for the walking.

I think the biggest thing is to set a target that costs money, tell everyone and thus it'll keep you motivated, otherwise you look like a fall. Kili is costing me ~2.5k and the best thing I've ever signed up for, always wanted to do it since a kid anyway.
    Primal sorts the physical cravings out, but it doesn't sort the psychological cravings out.
    Wow, great job on the walking! I'd love to work my way up to a longer walk once a week- this would be a good goal for me to work towards this summer
    *~Sara~*

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast