Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lesser of two evils -- cream page

Snauzoo is offline Senior Member

Lesser of two evils -- cream

Primal Fuel
    Setting aside the anti dairy sentiment for the moment, and keeping in mind that raw cream is a non entity where I live, and online ordering is way beyond what a pair of retires can afford, I have a choice. I can get rBST free organic ultra pasteurized or rBST free not organic but grass fed regular pasteurized cream. Neither is a rebranded generic national brand like Trader Joes. The organic is from a dairy collective in No. Calif, the other is from Clover Stornetta, a local family owned dairy in Petaluma, Ca. I buy both depending on where I shop on a given day. I only use cream in coffee and for some egg recipes. Do not drink milk at all and eat mostly raw milk cheeses when I can find them at TJs or Sprouts.

Don't tell me not to consume dairy. I did a whole 30 and it made no difference. I am northern European descent, tall, very fair and blue eyed. My ancestors were dairy producers going back to 1478 which I found out doing a genealogy project. I just wonder which of these two products is better. I know full well that getting organic cert in Calif is prohibitive and often buy organic pastured eggs from a local farmer who is not certified. So if we eat nothing but Kerrygold butter, not organic, what harm is not organic cream?

mmack66 is offline Member
    Of the two choices given, I would opt for the grass fed regular pasteurized cream.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    I like Clover. I always get that cream in my coffee when I go to one of the coffee shops nearby where I work.

mmac, That is where I am leaning also. But I read that the temp differential is minimal, like 5 degrees F.

The other is Organic Valley. Sprouts has both, actually. I buy OV raw milk cheese and also their cream cheese.

I would just die without my HWC in my coffee. I gave up willingly chocolate, beer, nuts, all starchy veggies, balsamic vinegar, and fruit to try to get my insulin resistance under control. I can live on 20 grams of veggies plus a shitton of fat, and grassfed beef. Coffee makes that doable lol. And coffee black sucks IMHO. Nicaraguan Angelina this week. Most tasty.
    Last edited by Snauzoo; 10-09-2012 at 04:16 PM.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm, I personally would go for the organic option in this case. I'd prefer dairy from a cow who was fed pesticide-free food (even if it means grain) over dairy from a cow who might be munching on a hefty dose of Roundup-sprayed grass.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    If I know farmers at all, I would guess that they aren't spraying roundup, or much of anything else on the fields where the cows graze. There's not any return on that investment.

I'm not a fan of Organic Valley (rubbed off from my wife, who comes from a family of dairy farmers) and definitely not a fan of ultra-pasteurized anything.

I'd go with the pastured, not ultra-pasteurized.
    J.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Pasture doesn't get sprayed with round up; it would die. It may get fertilizer. The farm my horse is at sprays fertilizer once a year, the rest of the time chemical free. Hay production is similar.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    I'd go with the grass-fed. Organic grain is still grain, and if you are eating/drinking cow fat, you should get as much quality fat as you can.

Okay Clover Stornetta it is. Strauss is a close neighbor, but for some reason not available within 20 miles from me. I can get their yogurt but not cream. Used to buy their milk when it came in glass bottles. Raleys dumped that for that horrid Horizon.

Thanks to everyone who replied and especially for not telling me no dairy.n

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snauzoo View Post
    Okay Clover Stornetta it is. Strauss is a close neighbor, but for some reason not available within 20 miles from me. I can get their yogurt but not cream. Used to buy their milk when it came in glass bottles. Raleys dumped that for that horrid Horizon.

Thanks to everyone who replied and especially for not telling me no dairy.n
    Where do you live, exactly? I see Strauss and Claravale all the time at the Mountain View Milk Pail Market. Or I think it's just Strauss that is stocked at Foothill Produce in Los Altos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast