Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustrations with gifted sugar... page

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member

Frustrations with gifted sugar...

Shop Now
    My mom just can't let a holiday go by without sending me some sort of sentimental crap sugar. *sigh*
    Some of it I didn't even like as a kid - the chalky valentine's hearts spring to mind - and she pays money to ship these things to me even though she KNOWS I don't eat sugar except for "special" occasions (you know, super-rich home-made molten lava cake type occasions.)...

I thought she understood, when she didn't send me cadbury creme eggs this year (because, amongst other things, they just do NOT taste the same with HFCS and PGPR...)
    but today I opened up a package with an old book and some family recipes (which I was expecting), and I find a pound (whoops, just checked, inflation hit, it's only 11.18oz) of fun-size snickers. *sigh*

I don't even want a single fun-size snickers, and the thought process that's followed is a crazy downward spiral.
    I hate to waste food, but I shouldn't encourage ANYone to eat this $#!t, but the world can't sustain EVERYONE eating primal and it's their choice, so if they want it, who am I to interfere? And why did my mom think this was a good idea?.... and then my head explodes, and I look at the bag o' junk and sulk.

A few years ago, I posted on a low carb board about a vendor dropping in unannounced with a dozen donuts (for our office of 2, neither of whom are sugar eaters) and how annoyed I was with the waste of food and the fact the guy kept popping in (I have never, EVER received an office visit from someone in his line of work before, so it felt odd), and brought sugary treats on multiple occasions, expecting smiles (when I was in the middle of rushing a deadline and could barely manage time to use the bathroom and eat)...
    ...and SEVERAL people said I had "issues" and should just be happy that the guy was trying to be nice.

Primal people seem to be much more... uh... rational? less grumpy? I'm not exactly sure what to call it... but the point is... what do YOU do when presented with a well-meaning gift of sugar? Is there a way to tell the person "thanks for thinking of me, but please don't bring sugar" when it's likely to be a repetitive thing?

(note: I don't *really* expect solutions to the mom issue from an internet forum, but suggestions and personal anecdotes are always nice)

peril is offline Senior Member
    Make a sculpture of it that the giver may see next time they visit
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    My dad makes and gives us apricot jam, and I thank him for it every time he does, since it's a way of him showing love to us. And I like that he loves us. We make a big deal of it as a family whenever we use 'Grandpa's world famous apricot jam'.

Do you have kids? I'm sure that you can dole those snickers bars out to them over the course of a year. Or maybe melt/bake them into some sort of treaty chocolate pudding, mixed in with cream?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Make a sculpture of it that the giver may see next time they visit
    *snort* if I wouldn't get flack for it, I TOTALLY would!

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    My dad makes and gives us apricot jam, and I thank him for it every time he does, since it's a way of him showing love to us. And I like that he loves us. We make a big deal of it as a family whenever we use 'Grandpa's world famous apricot jam'.

Do you have kids? I'm sure that you can dole those snickers bars out to them over the course of a year. Or maybe melt/bake them into some sort of treaty chocolate pudding, mixed in with cream?
    Something homemade with love & sugar is different (at least in my mind) than a bag of snickers...
    I'll probably end up giving the snickers to the girl scout troop I lead... 1 per girl and they'll be gone before you can say "Thin Mint."
    Honestly, snickers melted or baked into a pudding mixed in with cream sounds absolutely disgusting to me (sorry), and they're just not something I want around the house (and not because I'm tempted by them).

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    "That is sooo sweet of you! But, I am sooo sorry, I am on a doctor's orders not to eat any sugar."

Of course, next time they'll bring some fake-sweetened-overly-processed-chemical-poop for you...
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    if it's from mom, say thank you. she won't be around forever
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Iím gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Give it to a food bank and say thank you.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    If you're getting them in the mail and she's not around to see you throw them out....then throw them out.
    ďThe whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    "That is sooo sweet of you! But, I am sooo sorry, I am on a doctor's orders not to eat any sugar."

Of course, next time they'll bring some fake-sweetened-overly-processed-chemical-poop for you...
    lol... too true... "look, I made this chemical-filled junk-bomb especially for YOU!" (aw crap, now I feel like 10x as guilty if I don't eat it... AWKward!)

and of course the "doctor's orders" thing doesn't work with family... they know I don't go to the doctor (I'm more into eastern medicine and knowing when to use western medicine)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Give it to a food bank and say thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    if it's from mom, say thank you. she won't be around forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    If you're getting them in the mail and she's not around to see you throw them out....then throw them out.
    yes, "thank you" is the appropriate response...
    ...except she knows better (on several levels... one of them I don't eat sugar, another being paying money to ship things that I can buy on the corner... I could go on...) - fortunately I have a really good relationship with my mom, except for the gift thing
    I just can't seem to THROW AWAY "perfectly good"... "food"... All the food banks I've worked with don't really want candy... lol? But I know some nuns and girl scouts that love it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast