Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fake olive oil in canned fish page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Fake olive oil in canned fish

I think the oil in my canned fish is fake olive oil. I've been eating canned sardines in olive oil from several different brands every day for about a month now. My shoulders and ribs (do we have joints in our ribs??) have been getting stiffer and there's all kinds of popping and cracking going on. I had joint pain issues before I went primal and thought it was sort of a miracle that they went away. Then someone told me the joint pain cleared up because of the lack of cheap vegetable oils. So I think this new cracking and popping might be an indication the oil in canned fish is fake.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i feel like the brands i eat might be fake too. at the very least, it doesn't taste like good olive oil. i haven't done the fridge test yet, but i think i might just switch to a packed in water brand without needing the confirmation.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I usually shoot for mine in spring water....I also drink the water (cheap sardine broth perhaps?). I'd give that a shot. And the ribs do have joints at the costovertebral (back) and costosternal (front) points. These can get misaligned or otherwise fixated and become painful. Or just become inflamed due to diet.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I buy only Wild Planet--they are what they claim.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    I buy only Wild Planet--they are what they claim.
    And Wild Planet doesn't add any oil... the liquid in the can is actual fish juice, from the fish in the can. Add your own oils as desired.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    I suppose you could put the can in the fridge to see if the oil solidifies...
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    My knee is popping, too. This is really annoying. Wow, just shows you how powerfully bad this stuff is. From now on, fish in fish juice. I suspect my Italian olive oil might be fake, too, even though it's from Trader Joe's. I've been eating a lot of olive oil lately. This makes me really mad because it's like I suddenly feel like crap and I had been feeling so awesome for so long, it really sucks to feel like this.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Trader Joe's carries sardines packed in water, too, sbhikes. They taste pretty good--sardines have plenty of oil in them anyway! I eat 2-3 cans a week.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

brandymerrit is offline Junior Member
    it doesn't taste like good olive oil

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here's one thing I've found over time. Once a food/supplement/etc. becomes "the next great thing," someone out there will adulterate it to make a profit. I read a 2011 study and the two olive oils I remember being really what they stated they were on the label were Kirkland (Costco brand) and California Olive Growers. I'm sorry but I didn't save the link, so consider this purely hearsay.

Since we don't have Costco here and they don't sell their olive oil online, I've pretty much put olive oil in that category of "too much work to get the real thing," and avoid it completely. I like avocado oil for now, but as soon as it becomes mainstream, I'm sure I'll have to find an alternative for that also.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast