Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fake olive oil in canned fish page 3

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We recently watched a programme on olive oil, and the thing that stood out for me was they suggested that you buy olive oil that is produced in your own country. The tests they did on imported oil into NZ, had some interesting results. Oil that obviously sat around on the wharf getting approved, so old out of date stuff, also oil not true to label etc...If the origin is from your country, one would hope that you could do some more intense homework on that product, and once you do find a good one....stick with it.
    So even thou NZ is not renowned for its oils, I have started buying locally made, and they are good.
    As an aside, I can bring some over to primal con next year - if anyone wants to try our own little NZ stuff?

Also - what is the fridge test ????
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    The fridge test is where you put the oil in the fridge. If it becomes solid or has lots of solid blobs after a day or two, then it's olive oil. However, you can still get solids even if it's been diluted with crap oils so it's not fool-proof.

The other test is the lamp oil test. Real olive oil can keep an oil lamp burning. This, too, is only partially reliable.

Fortunately there are olive farms near me so I can get olive oil from local farmers. It's just going to cost me way more than $6 for a quart like at Trader Joe's. I've never priced it. I figured since I had to ask, I probably couldn't afford it. I wouldn't be surprised if it costs $20 or even $40 a quart.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    ok put the word out to family and friends .... that you want some Olive oil from round the road for christmas!!!!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    For sure I will avoid it. I was seeking convenience, not having to ride my bike with a container of olive oil in my panier. I can get farmer's market olive oil so that's what I will do and keep it at the office. I wonder how long to clear up the damage? My ankles and feet were popping last night.
    Probably not long to clear up any damage honestly. I mean, it COULD take a while if you were doing it for a long enough period, but I doubt it. Just remove the offensive substances and things will right themselves.

kitana is offline Senior Member
    Originally Posted by emmie

I buy only Wild Planet--they are what they claim.

And Wild Planet doesn't add any oil... the liquid in the can is actual fish juice, from the fish in the can. Add your own oils as desired.
    This! I used to hate canned fish, but I'm addicted to theirs. They also slap a whole fillet in a can (at least their salmon) and it's not a bunch of mushy, measly, past-their-prime scraps. The juice is perfect, just a leeetle salty, just a leeetle oily and awesome as a 'dressing' on top of a bunch of chopped veggies.

Plus, since they process their fish in the can (as opposed to prior to canning), the natural omega 3's are left intact and they don't have to add it back in afterwards.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    As I understand they don't export the better oils. Italian olive oil for export has been found to be the left overs and or lowest quality produced, and its also not uncommon to be cut with canola. Like Gwamma says, if you can buy it produced from were you live, that's better. In the USA that would mean California olive oil. I believe that is were the Kirkland brand is sourced.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123