Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fake olive oil in canned fish page 2

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It could be really crappy olive oil...kind of similar to conventionally raised vs grass-fed beef.

I also eat the TJ's sardines and they taste awesome. So another vote in that direction if you want an alternate source.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Olive oil seems to be a dodgy claim a lot or processed foods that say olive oil like dressing or mayonnaise that say with olive oil actual contain a little behind canola or veg oil.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'd stick to sardines and anchovies packed in water.

If you want the olive oil flavor with them, just add your own good stuff from a bottle.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    For sure I will avoid it. I was seeking convenience, not having to ride my bike with a container of olive oil in my panier. I can get farmer's market olive oil so that's what I will do and keep it at the office. I wonder how long to clear up the damage? My ankles and feet were popping last night.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    After Mark's recent post on the cheating that goes on with olive oils, I had the same suspicion about the "EVOO" that tuna and sardines are allegedly packed in. Here in Chicago I found a California olive oil that is clearly the real thing--has that strong tangy-burn after taste and goes totally solid in the fridge--so I think I'll go with the suggestions here and get the fish in water and add my own oil.

As for the popping joints, that's interesting--I'd love to know if it clears up for you once you switch the oils. I had some joint pain a few weeks ago, but think it was indicative of a cold/virus coming on--after I kicked the cold the pain went away...but it was also right after I was on vacation, with some non-preferred food choices, oils especially.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    I buy fish canned in water or brine. I don't trust the "olive oil" in there because canned fish is so cheap.

ezeflier is offline Member
    I have noticed that much canned fish that claims to be packed in water actually is packed in "vegetable broth" which very often has soy in it. Bah!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    If I have bad oils, my joint popping and pain usually disappears within a day or two since last exposure.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezeflier View Post
    I have noticed that much canned fish that claims to be packed in water actually is packed in "vegetable broth" which very often has soy in it. Bah!
    Yeah, I ignore the front label and read the actual ingredient list.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    wow, same thing for me! i've found that the only tuna in olive oil that seems to not make me joint-inflamed is the trader joe's yellow fin. i'd been eating that 'genovo tonno' brand that's not too cheap that you can get at ralph's, but i'm highly skeptical now.

as for sardines, i usually get them in water anyway. sometimes i add EVOO, sometimes not, they're fatty as is. but i do like my tuna in olive oil.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast