Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GMO labeling page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

GMO labeling

Shop Now
    I'm curious if you are living in California, are you going to vote for the GMO labeling proposition? If so, why? If not, why not? If you live outside California, are you hopeful that we'll pass it or do you hope that we don't? Why or why not?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Not living there. (Lived in San Francisco 1974-1988.)

Hope you pass it. Why? Because CA has about 1/10th of the entire US population, so when something like that passes there, it's a big deal. Get NY, TX, IL, and FL on board, and the people have beat the big ugly known as Monsanto.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post

Hope you pass it. Why? Because CA has about 1/10th of the entire US population, so when something like that passes there, it's a big deal. Get NY, TX, IL, and FL on board, and the people have beat the big ugly known as Monsanto.
    +1...except for the san francisco bit, but i was there for a week a couple of years ago.
    if this is something that picks up steam in a lot of populous states, and other states hop on board, it could be a national standard before too long. that would be one hell of a fight, but one worth winning.

What I have heard is that since California is the 8th largest economy in the world, they'll likely not make a different set of labels just for California.

Yaya76 is offline Junior Member
    I live in Cali and hell yeah I'm voting for Prop 37! I want to make the decision for myself if I want to eat foods with GMO products in them(which I don't).

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    What I have heard is that since California is the 8th largest economy in the world, they'll likely not make a different set of labels just for California.
    Sure they will. CA is probably the main reason we have hybrid cars. When CA does it right (an imo, GMO labelling is the right thing to do), it makes a difference to all of us. Do you think that ConAgra, et al, want to have to stop selling their products to 10% of the country? No way. They'll cave. Most of the food industry operates on thin margins and they don't blithely toss out 10% of their customers.

If they did make different labels for California, the Internet would let us tell people in other states which things are GMO. The other thing I've heard is that since most things have HFCS in it and that's made of GMO corn, that most things will have the GMO label on it. It'll be like a huge red flag showing you where all the HFCS is hiding.

I'm curious if anybody thinks it is a bad idea to label GMO foods.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    It's a bad idea if you are trying to sell GMO foods.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post

It will never happen in Florida. In terms of social/health/financial progress, we tend to go backward rather than forward. Sux.

You never know with FL. If it could be shown that GMO foods or even HFCS or the growth hormones in beef and milk are contributing to elderly dementia, I bet you could get FL on board.

TX would probably also be a hard sell. But NY and IL would be awesome states. NY has already done the limiting of sugary sodas (which I disagree with), so they're ripe for this kind of law.

I'm in Louisiana. We probably won't pass a law like this 'til after I'm dead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast