Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much do your kids eat in a day? page 2

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    My daughter is also 12, and her typical diet at home would be:

B: 3 slices bacon, 2 fried eggs, dollop of butter on top
    L: homemade soup, some smoked fish or cold meat, maybe a baked potato with butter on, or some nuts, maybe some cheese
    Snacks: nuts, fruit, dried fruit, maybe some nut-flour biscuits if I've made them (or she sometimes makes them herself), or a cup of tea with coconut oil in it.
    Supper: meat/fish and plenty of vegetables, slathered in more butter

I know that when she's at school (boarding - so I have no control over her diet other than gluten-free) she does not eat as well - loads of gluten-free substitute foods. BUT her asthma and eczema are so much better if she eats LCHF that she attempts to do this off her own bat. She seems to be thriving on it.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Don't remember a whole day's diet, but my son's favorite snack for several years was a huge scoop of peanut butter, about 1/3 of the jar. Grabbed the jar to figure the counts, and it is:
    1520Kcal, 56gP, 40gC, 128gF
    and that was on top of and eggs and cereal breakfast; full packed lunch- meat sandwich, fruit, cheese, vegetables, and dessert; and meat and two veg dinner.

In other words: a lot!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    My daughter is 6, and ther eis no rhyme or reason to how she eats, and I go along with it. Right now she just shot up > half an inch in a month, and asks for rice all the time (alng with a can of wild sockeye salmon).

First time she asked I was reluctant (she was a 'banana and banana' before we switched to Primal for her so I am very careful not to let her digestion drive her back to bland foods only). Then I looked at her in her soccer uni and like "OMG, I think she needs it!" and set her against the measuring chart, and could not believe the growth.

I swear, she goes from quarter-back look to that 'sprout with too little sun' look in a matter of days.

My friend almost fell off the chair looking at her put away 3 roast chicken drumsticks last weekend, and yesterday she casually ate half a meatzza - my 190 lbs husband had the other half. Holy-moly.

And then she goes for days of bringing almost all her food home back from school in the "Mom, I was not hungry' mode.

I assume it's normal?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    My 8 year old boy is already an endless pit....he loves real food, as my 6 year old son is a carb junky for sure...and asks for WAY more snacks than his brother (cause real food is more filling!)

Todays breakfast was: 2 slices of bacon, sunny side egg, cubed, fried potatoes and half a GF bagel....and a cup of tea with honey.
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalPumpkin View Post
    I was wondering if parents of kids in the age range of 9-14 would tell me the amount of food your kids typically eat each day.
    I'd say my 9yo boy and 12yo girl are both capable of consuming adult sized meals any day of the week. Some days they do, some they don't. I don't track calories or anything. My little guy seems to need to eat more often because he NEEDS the fuel, but cant fill up his little belly in one sitting. Some days he really does need to eat again 30 min after dinner. I know he's hungry if he'll go eat a banana.

Meals and snacks are real food and they can eat as much as they want of whatever I make and whatever veggies and fruit they can find in the house. Treats and desserts are a regular thing, but portions monitored. They can have ONE granola bar, handful of cookies, piece of pie, bowl of ice cream, cup of yogurt, glass of milk, peanut butter sandwich, handful of chips, etc...not unlimited access. Still hungry? Eat an apple.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    My daughter is 6...

And then she goes for days of bringing almost all her food home back from school in the "Mom, I was not hungry' mode.

I assume it's normal?
    Totally normal.

When my 9yo was little, we used to joke that he only ate dinner every second night. We did figure out that he would lose interest in meals that were too much effort. If it had to be cut, or took too long to chew, or wouldnt' stay on his fork, he wouldn't put in the effort. Anything made with hamburger is his favorite.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    My son is 10 and has cystic fibrosis, so we load him up a bit more than average, but here's his routine:
    B: 2 eggs, bacon, avocado, fruit (1/2 an apple or pear), juice, vitamins (killer breakfast, really, almost what I eat)
    L: meat sandwich with avocado, fruit, juice, some kind of dessert like cookies (not that I approve of that part...)
    Snack: nuts, fruit, maybe a smoothie with fruit, yogurt and/or ice cream
    D: meat like chicken, burger, steak, etc., or occasionally meat-sauce pasta, either broccoli or green beans usually, fruit, then some sweet for dessert.
    Don't know what those calories add up to...

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Hey Tom B-D My 14 yr old son also has CF but he is pancreatic sufficient. He's always been a light eater until recently partly due to his age but mostly because he is on prednisone. He loves meat but his portions are relatively small about 3-4 oz. When he has eggs he usually only has one. He loves strong cheeses, exotic mushrooms (it's amazing how much he will eat) salmon and fruit. Lately he's been eating 2 large pomegranates a day. I'd say he eats about as much as I do for meals (1800 cal?) and then has several snacks of fruit and cheese in addition.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    he would lose interest in meals that were too much effort. If it had to be cut, or took too long to chew, or wouldnt' stay on his fork, he wouldn't put in the effort.
    I've definitely had this, too and had to feed or at least cut children's food for quite a long time. Thank goodness to be past that stage now.

Also, I am impressed with the primalness of kids' diets on here. Time to move my dd up a notch I think, starting with breakfast. She's an early bird so it's hard for me to get to the kitchen first, haha.

But if I can get her started on the bacon and eggs, she could move her ricies and yoghurt to afternoon snack, that would be nice and easy for her and me both.

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My 2.5 year old gets about 1700 cals a day. Kids like a mini space heater.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast