Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Tough Mudder page 2

zilog is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I've been running 2-3 times per week including a long trail run of approx 8-9 miles at the weekend. I'm going to gradually lengthen this to 12-13 miles, then when I'm comfortable with that I'll start throwing in obstacles every half mile/mile or so e.g. hill sprint repeats, tree climbing, log carrying, decline push ups on a bench, bear/commando crawls (I think these could be very handy as I hear there is a lot of crawling in the TM) etc

I lift weights already but am concentrating a lot now on deadlifts & pullups as I believe a lot of the obstacles will focus on upper-body strength.

My fitness is high generally as I ride my bike to work and back every day as well (16 miles) but I'm going to try to get super-fit by next May. I'm sure I'll enjoy the TM more if I am, plus it's given me a great goal to aim for. Will probably try to drop around 10-15 lbs as well which will get me down to around 10% BF.

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Mudding that doesn't involve my Honda?

Nah.

AC

Congrats! I did the Spartan Beast Race with minimal running in my training. Just lots of squats and single leg strength work. Hill sprints proved to be most valuable.

Browndog1986 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    I've been running 2-3 times per week including a long trail run of approx 8-9 miles at the weekend. I'm going to gradually lengthen this to 12-13 miles, then when I'm comfortable with that I'll start throwing in obstacles every half mile/mile or so e.g. hill sprint repeats, tree climbing, log carrying, decline push ups on a bench, bear/commando crawls (I think these could be very handy as I hear there is a lot of crawling in the TM) etc

I lift weights already but am concentrating a lot now on deadlifts & pullups as I believe a lot of the obstacles will focus on upper-body strength.

My fitness is high generally as I ride my bike to work and back every day as well (16 miles) but I'm going to try to get super-fit by next May. I'm sure I'll enjoy the TM more if I am, plus it's given me a great goal to aim for. Will probably try to drop around 10-15 lbs as well which will get me down to around 10% BF.
    Cool sounds like a good plan.
    I think i need to start doing them commando crawls i've done them before and i hated them.

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    Congrats and welcome to the club! For what it's worth for those looking to do one, I have run two so far. I did one in Canada in June and had been doing Crossfit three or four times a week and walking five times a week for an hour for four months. I continued the same workout plan into the last one I did back in October. I outran all but one of the "runners" on my team and had more endurance than the guys that mainly stuck to lifting at the gym. I was kind of the happy medium of my group.

I was eating pretty strict primal leading into my first and not as strict into my second and I definitely felt a difference for the worse.

Do one and you'll get addicted!
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

OscarC is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post

Unlike BrownDog1986, I don't think this is a good plan. I did my first ToughMudder last October. First, I was surprised how few people ran it, most people took leisurely paced walks from one obstacle to the next. I did run, but I ran very little during my training. I knew, as a long time runner, that upper body strength would be my major weakness, so I started lifting weights. The only running I did was a track workout once a week. Sprints or, better, hill sprint repeats, are all you need. Your plan includes way too much cardio. As readers of this forum know, that's not good. I did StrongLifts 3 times a week, sprints once a week, and I was absolutely surprised how easy the obstacles felt. I did the Berlin Walls with no assistance, completed the Funky Monkey without falling, I even did the Everest with no help. As I wrote in my log, the rest of the obstacles were practically piece of cake.

To anyone who is training for one, I strongly suggest, drop the cardio and get strong. That's what you really need.

The obstacles I truly hated, and just because of those I won't do a TM again, are the ones that include electric shocks. I don't get it; I don't know what they are meant to prove. It's painful, and it doesn't test or challenge your strength or stamina. Can't train for those. Ugh, hated them.
    Last edited by OscarC; 12-01-2012 at 08:44 PM.

zilog is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the input, it's great to hear from someone who's done a TM. I hear you about the strength training, I lift heavy already and by the time I do the TM next year will have done so for over a year. Interesting point about the running (or lack of it) between the obstacles - I had heard people don't exactly race it but had no idea people were walking!

interesting perspective too about the obstacles not being too challenging. I am a lot less apprehensive now! still dreading the shocks though! I agree with you, they seem utterly pointless. I suppose they're just to give the TM some macho credentials.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree about the "cardio". I can see why you might think I do a lot but TBH from my point of view I really don't. The cycling to work is totally functional and usually at a slow/medium pace (and only 40 mins). The long run is actually very enjoyable and low effort/heart rate and the short runs are always half hour or less and sometimes sprint intervals anyway.

WarlordBlade is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarC View Post
    The obstacles I truly hated, and just because of those I won't do a TM again, are the ones that include electric shocks. I don't get it; I don't know what they are meant to prove. It's painful, and it doesn't test or challenge your strength or stamina. Can't train for those. Ugh, hated them.
    100% Agreement here. I loved Everest, Funky Monkey, Berlin Walls - as obstacles they are good ones that feel good to conquer - but with training - not that hard really. The Electro-shock therapy at the end was just pain. It isn't something you can train for or conquer or minimize. Some people just don't react well to it and I'm apparently one of those. I think it would keep me from doing another one. I really enjoyed Tough Mudder but that last 'obstacle' really put a damper on the overall experience.

My training has been Yoga, Trail Running (because I enjoy it and if you go to hard enough (i.e. STEEP) trails and mountains it's more primal than most 'cardio' and many non-cardio exercises), Bodyweight Exercises (especially pullups and muscle-ups), and the occasional crazy-hard HIIT or Crossfit workout. (at least once a week) - oh and I also trained some BJJ occasionally - but really started more of that AFTER TM.
    ~It's All Relative!~
    34 - 5'11" CW - 159 GW - 175 10% BF or less!

Primal Journal
    Fitness Blog - Instagram
    Join me on Fitocracy

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WarlordBlade View Post
    100% Agreement here. I loved Everest, Funky Monkey, Berlin Walls - as obstacles they are good ones that feel good to conquer - but with training - not that hard really. The Electro-shock therapy at the end was just pain. It isn't something you can train for or conquer or minimize. Some people just don't react well to it and I'm apparently one of those. I think it would keep me from doing another one. I really enjoyed Tough Mudder but that last 'obstacle' really put a damper on the overall experience.
    I think the thing about the Electro-shock obstacles (they typically have three such obstacles now per course) is the mental challenge it brings. I think the same could very well be said for an obstacle like "Walk the Plank" where you have to jump off the 15 foot platform. You don't have to train for that (I suppose to get up on the obstacle maybe) but it certianly doesn't require athletic ability to hurl yourself off the thing. I can understand people's hesitance to run more than one due to the shocks... I was on the Electric Eel obstacle most recently and got popped 7 or 8 times and one was definitely a 10,000 volter... Not my favorite obstacles by far but in my opinion, I don't think it's a reason to not run the course again.
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

jmoore374 is offline Junior Member
    Y'all should check out Run for your Lives. It's a new race that just popped up this past year, and if you're into The Walking Dead at all like me, you'll have the URGE to do this one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12