Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RAW uncooked Veggies page 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaya76 View Post
    I agree with Drumroll.

My naturopathic doctor plans to start me on the primal/paleo diet next month. I've been doing some research on this lifestyle to see if it's something I'm even interested in doing. When I first started researching I thought "oh it's the raw food with meat on the side" lol. I have noticed a lack of veggie talk when it comes to this lifestyle. It seems like people only eat meat. I'm dealing with an illness, so I couldn't care less about losing weight. Which by the way I have lost weight by just changing my diet and focusing on being healthy. So, I will keep juicing and eating huge salads along with adding clean meats and healthy fats to my diet. Which I doubt is diffrent than how many primals really eat, it's just pics of bacon looks better lol.
    From a primal perspective on carbs, juicing may not be the optimal way to cobsune your veggies. You lose a lot of the nutrient content and increase carb content that way. I suppose it depends on what your goals are, especially in relation to carbs, but from my perspective, I'd just eat more veggies in their whole state, either cooked or raw. You'll get the same nutrient content and maybe even MORE that way.

But that's just my opinion on it. Don't take it as law. Glad you're going to be joining us in a healthier way of eating!

Yaya76 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    From a primal perspective on carbs, juicing may not be the optimal way to cobsune your veggies. You lose a lot of the nutrient content and increase carb content that way. I suppose it depends on what your goals are, especially in relation to carbs, but from my perspective, I'd just eat more veggies in their whole state, either cooked or raw. You'll get the same nutrient content and maybe even MORE that way.

But that's just my opinion on it. Don't take it as law. Glad you're going to be joining us in a healthier way of eating!
    The reason I like juicing is because it allows me to get in a ton of veggies quick. I am person who went most of my life avoiding veggies, so eating a ton is something I would have to work up to. I'm proud of myself that I can eat huge salads. I didn't know juicing you lose the nutrients, I thought it was actually better cause your body doesn't have to work to digest it. I'll have to research that and ask my naturopath.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

This is counterintuitive to me. Could you explain? I get that juicing in a juicer gets rid of pulp, but primal doesn't advocate lots of fiber. And I get that juicing and green smoothies bypass chewing and so absorption of nutrients including carbs is faster, and so not necessarily good. But I don't get the decrease in nutrients overall.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    This is counterintuitive to me. Could you explain? I get that juicing in a juicer gets rid of pulp, but primal doesn't advocate lots of fiber. And I get that juicing and green smoothies bypass chewing and so absorption of nutrients including carbs is faster, and so not necessarily good. But I don't get the decrease in nutrients overall.
    I have a Vitamix that breaks down fibers into digestible size and we throw nothing away. I tried to up my greens significantly at the beginning of summer by making green smoothies, with a bit of added fruit juice, carrot, and a banana. That ended badly, at least for me. I couldn't handle the increased fiber, and my intestines rebelled. After a month, we cut the smoothies out, but by then, combined with a bad water notice from the town, I came down with a bowel infection. An antibiotic was needed. Since then I've been relying more on fermented veggies, which are "cooked" only by bacteria, and have the benefits of raw veggies enhanced.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Juicing turns your carbs into accellular carbs.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

statikcat is offline Senior Member

Most nutrients are not found in the outer layer of vegetables commonly used in juicing. You will get more dense nutrients per calorie/weight, more absorbable nutrients, and greater variety. Sure, there is some waste and you don't need to juice vegetables to be healthy but no doubt it is a big help. I would encourage anyone to do so it has great benefits. In a 16oz drink you can get mass nutrients from a variety of vegetables and consume it all in a minute or two and benefit immediately. Variety of leafy greens, carrots, cucumber/celery, beats, etc all in one drink. Try getting that variety of nutrients in a comparable calorie amount.

And don't give me the carbs in juicing crap. There are not many carbs in most vegetables period.
    Last edited by statikcat; 10-09-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I thought the reason not to juice was mainly with fruits... when you juice them you get concentrated fructose with a few vitamins and minerals. Very spiky for the insulin. I'm not sure about juicing veggies, it might be alright.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    paleo doesn't advocate lots of raw?

what about the BAS
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

aakash is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, I try to have veggies with every meal. A lot of the time it's salad greens, which qualify as raw and uncooked. But I often have cooked veggies... it frees up the nutrients. I don't think there's any real NEED to eat uncooked veggies at all. But veggies in general, we do need.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12