Thread: Questions about Rooibos and Cafelib page

butcher is offline Junior Member

Questions about Rooibos and Cafelib

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi, I love coffee but I can't have coffee because of a heart arrhythmia. I am currently drinking Cafelib, which is a coffee substitute made of roasted barley, rye, chicory, beet roots.

Do you think Cafelib fits in a paleo diet? I don't think so but I'd like to see what you think.

What do you think about Rooibos? According to a few website it's a good tea, but is it Paleo?

Thanks
    Eric

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the forum, Eric.

The Cafelib sounds like it would not fit with a Paleo diet since it contains barley and rye, both of which, like wheat, contain gluten.

I think Rooibos definitely fits. I haven't heard of any negative effects that it would cause.

Thanks for the reply yodiewan.

Eric

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    You might try the Crio Bru that alot of people on this forum are talking about. It is roasted cocoa beans from what I've heard. I haven't tried it yet but am going to as soon as I can get some ordered.
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Crio Bru can have up to about 5g of caffeine in a cup, depending on the bean; that's about 1/20 of what coffee has. Rooibos "teas" are actually not really tea, but an herbal plant that's dried and brewed like tea, and has no caffeine. You can get rooibos in different flavors, and I like all I've tried.

Just for comparison:

(Type) (#g caffeine/cup, average)
    Rooibos 0g
    Decaf Coffee 0.3g
    White Tea 2g
    Oolong Tea 10g
    Green Tea 10g
    Mate Tea 100g
    Coffee 100g

Thanks for the reply everybody, this site is great...

I wouldn't want to take in more caffeine than a decaf coffee, so it looks like my only options are Rooibos and decaf coffee.

Thanks again.
    Eric

spicegirl is offline Senior Member
    Actually, I just talked with a Teechino rep this week who was in my local HF store. He said that the gluten from the barley doesn't made it into the water as it is passing over it to brew.

BUT, I find it best to follow what my body tells me, versus what other people say. Every body is different. If you feel good when you drink Cafelib, then that's all that matters. I'd look at the carb content, but I'm careful about carbs.

Personally, I find that dandelion root tea (sometimes with a little roasted chicory and carob) is a nice treat. I don't like how I feel if I drink more than one cup though.

spicegirl

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    spicegirl, have you experienced some diuretic effects from the dandelion root tea ?

Thanks
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

joeobowyer is offline Junior Member
    I haven't heard of any negative effects that it would cause.