Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Polyamoruous Love Sickness: Can This Be Primal? page 12

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    as far as grok and emotions and fidelity? lmao. monogamy and marriage are constructions of the church, to aid in men consolidating wealth and assets. it had nothing to do with "love", only power. marrying for "love" is a very recent notion and makes peeps make all high-holy-hell of bad decisions.

my understanding is that aboriginal and hunter/gatherer groups had/have far more fluid norms about sexuality and who does what with whom. tribal living is the norm, so the offspring of any spread seed were cared for by many, not just in a tiny household like now.

for generations, it was more comfortable for male researchers to stick with the notion that women are inherently monogamous and men are innately randy. all sorts of misguided, ignorant and hurtful notions of women's carnality helped keep women second-class and housebound. in many cases, literally. denying them education, reproductive rights and hobbling them with corsets and hoop skirts. here's a fan and some smelling salts, miss, in case that overheated vagina gives you any trouble. The Straight Dope: What is nymphomania?

today in many cultures, the idea of a woman being sexually autonomous remains so threatening that they undergo clitoral mutilation. women are forced to be covered from head-to-toe when in public, to prevent men from attacking them. it's not the man's fault for lacking self-control, it's that she-devil showing her elbow.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Zanna is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LordPistacchio View Post
    OW is profoundly hurt and that makes her selfish, not evil. I was supposed to be the strong one but I let it go too far before I recognized what was happening...

...and that's being dishonest. I let it go too far before I was willing to see what was happening. So, magnolia1973, I don't really like what you're saying because it's the truth. Maybe I was even the lead in this dance, and despite what I tell myself and everyone else, I'm a pig who preys upon emotionally vulnerable women. I don't want to believe that, but it's intriguing that no one has taken OW's side in this.
    I'm not cutting her much slack because that reduces her to a weak, emotional thing to whom bad things happen. Which, incidentally, absolves her of any guilt, and firmly places all responsibility (whether you're saving her or screwing her) on your manly shoulders. I'm not cutting you much slack either, but I find it interesting that this continues to be framed through a lens where you are the majority player and she's just a damaged woman who can't do anything to help herself.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    We should all read "The Female Brain" and "The Male Brain" and start a new thread.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/28/bo...pagewanted=all

Really quite interesting. I am half way through the Female version. It is science based, and gives quite an insight into gender behavior. We really are different.
    +1

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    I'm not cutting her much slack because that reduces her to a weak, emotional thing to whom bad things happen. Which, incidentally, absolves her of any guilt, and firmly places all responsibility (whether you're saving her or screwing her) on your manly shoulders. I'm not cutting you much slack either, but I find it interesting that this continues to be framed through a lens where you are the majority player and she's just a damaged woman who can't do anything to help herself.
    Yeah, that's kind of what I'm seeing too. You "letting" it get too far removes any responsibility from OW, which isn't fair. It doesn't matter how "damaged" one is, you are still responsible for your own actions. Can they be a bit excused for emotional duress? Yes, I'd like to think so. I would not like to think that someone hated me because I was rude to them while in the midst of a deep depression, but it's still my responsibility to DO something about the depression. Maybe that is a bit harsh to some, it's a fine line, I think, but that's how I feel. I wonder how much OW really WANTS to change/get help, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Good luck with the counselling. I think that and separation from OW will help.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    We should all read "The Female Brain" and "The Male Brain" and start a new thread.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/28/bo...pagewanted=all

Really quite interesting. I am half way through the Female version. It is science based, and gives quite an insight into gender behavior. We really are different.
    And the end of that NY Times article states....
    "What’s the evidence for all this? Brizendine cites a single 2008 brain-scan study, of 14 women and 12 men, which found a gender difference in part of a lab experiment that tried to simulate empathy. The paper itself declares that “functional neuro*imaging data on gender differences in empathy remain scarce.” When I asked a couple of scientists to weigh in, one said he wouldn’t base any substantive conclusion on this paper, since initial findings of sex differences in the brain often don’t amount to much. The other pointed out that if men and women really processed emotions differently, you’d expect to see far greater variation in fMRI data.

Yet one of Brizendine’s more believable claims is that when she weaves theories like the one about TPJ for her patients, they smile with recognition. Maybe this is because the science will one day catch up with Brizendine’s ideas. Or maybe as a species we’re predisposed to be preoccupied by difference, as the Harvard psychologist Elizabeth Spelke argues. Or maybe we are still in recovery from that brief time in the 1970s when boys really were expected to play with dolls and some New Age man somewhere hung his house with crystals.

But isn’t it time to acknowledge that any rigid insistence that men and women are exactly the same has long since given way to common sense? Brizendine’s trick, after all, is to give a scientific veneer to “Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus.” Which dates to 1992. At this point, it’s hardly daring to say that there are momentous innate sex differences in the brain. It’s just dubious."

As I've stated before... while there are many women and men who fit a set of normative feminine and masculine 'values' perfectly (enough to form major stereotypes)... just as many do not (enough to form other alternate stereotypes).
    Many lie somewhere in the middle... and some are polar opposites to the reactions you'd expect from the sex.
    The brain chemistry is not so simple as female sexual organs = has all feelings as all women do.
    Or the same equation but for male sex organs and men.
    Not by a long shot.

There are sex/gender issues that come into play.
    Sex and sexuality issues, that may or may not change a persons feminine or masculine traits.
    And many other issues, such as how our society and culture DEFINES what masculine and feminine traits are.
    Last edited by cori93437; 10-11-2012 at 09:58 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post

...is it possible they had discussed this little emotional dalliance before you came forward?
    I suspect so. I know they've been talking together a LOT about the funk I've been in lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    I find it interesting that this continues to be framed through a lens where you are the majority player and she's just a damaged woman who can't do anything to help herself.
    No, she's not helpless and she has engaged in some pretty significant manipulation and deceit. But right now, I don't think she's fully capable of understanding consequences. What's my excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    The "knight in shining armor saving the (now manipulative, evil) damsel in distress" is dubious.
    Not dubious, it's a lie. I lie I told myself. Not that altruistically aiding others can't be its own reward, but when there's damsel, with big brown eyes...

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    And the end of that NY Times article states....
    "What’s the evidence for all this? Brizendine cites a single 2008 brain-scan study, of 14 women and 12 men, which found a gender difference in part of a lab experiment that tried to simulate empathy. The paper itself declares that “functional neuro*imaging data on gender differences in empathy remain scarce.” When I asked a couple of scientists to weigh in, one said he wouldn’t base any substantive conclusion on this paper, since initial findings of sex differences in the brain often don’t amount to much. The other pointed out that if men and women really processed emotions differently, you’d expect to see far greater variation in fMRI data.

Yet one of Brizendine’s more believable claims is that when she weaves theories like the one about TPJ for her patients, they smile with recognition. Maybe this is because the science will one day catch up with Brizendine’s ideas. Or maybe as a species we’re predisposed to be preoccupied by difference, as the Harvard psychologist Elizabeth Spelke argues. Or maybe we are still in recovery from that brief time in the 1970s when boys really were expected to play with dolls and some New Age man somewhere hung his house with crystals.

But isn’t it time to acknowledge that any rigid insistence that men and women are exactly the same has long since given way to common sense? Brizendine’s trick, after all, is to give a scientific veneer to “Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus.” Which dates to 1992. At this point, it’s hardly daring to say that there are momentous innate sex differences in the brain. It’s just dubious."

As I've stated before... while there are many women and men who fit a set of normative feminine and masculine 'values' perfectly (enough to form major stereotypes)... just as many do not (enough to form other alternate stereotypes).
    Many lie somewhere in the middle... and some are polar opposites to the reactions you'd expect from the sex.
    The brain chemistry is not so simple as female sexual organs = has all feelings as all women do.
    Or the same equation but for male sex organs and men.
    Not by a long shot.

There are sex/gender issues that come into play.
    Sex and sexuality issues, that may or may not change a persons feminine or masculine traits.
    And many other issues, such as how our society and culture DEFINES what masculine and feminine traits are.
    Oh, I get that this won't fit everyone. The book is much more than just that one study and the analysis of adult behavior. It goes through other studies of infants/children that many of us who had college courses probably remember. I still think it is very interesting, but I'm not changing my life based on what I read.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LordPistacchio View Post
    Not that altruistically aiding others can't be its own reward, but when there's damsel, with big brown eyes...
    then its not truly altruism

This thread has gone on longer than I ever anticipated and my story really doesn't deserve the attention. But I would like to thank everyone who has responded. There isn't a single response that hasn't be helpful or thought-provoking in some way. And even though some of them were stern, none were condescending or mean-spirited.

What will happen:

• I will see a therapist
    • My wife will get more loving attention than she can stand
    • No cheating with OW will happen
    • At a minimum, no situations that facilitate sex with OW will happen
    • AND it makes sense to distance myself from OW somewhat, but our families are too close for separation

The only new update is that my wife and OW are arranging a double date with me/wife and OW/douchebag for tomorrow evening. I'm terrified.

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    then its not truly altruism
    Semantically correct. But then altruism isn't truly possible.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast