Thread: Blood work back - doctor concerned - someone make sense of the numbers? page

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member

Blood work back - doctor concerned - someone make sense of the numbers?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Uk numbers converted to US numbers as follows:

Total - 6.71 mmol/l = 259.47409 mg/dl
    HDL - 2.55 mmol/l = 98.60789 mg/dl
    LDL - 3.97 mmol/l = 153.51895 mg/dl
    Serum tri - 0.42 mmol/l = 37.20106 mg/dl

Hopefully that converts over ok and makes sense.

Thanks
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Actually, I've looked at the figures using the Iranian formula and am very happy with how things look!

If i'm wrong, please shout.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilingjustalittlebit View Post
    Uk numbers converted to US numbers as follows:

Total - 6.71 mmol/l = 259.47409 mg/dl
    HDL - 2.55 mmol/l = 98.60789 mg/dl
    LDL - 3.97 mmol/l = 153.51895 mg/dl
    Serum tri - 0.42 mmol/l = 37.20106 mg/dl

Hopefully that converts over ok and makes sense.

Thanks
    Gee, you HDL is well high and trigs are low, the HDL/trigs ratio is fab I believe. It is only the LDL that is causing your do concern, if your HDL was half what it is (which would be bad), you'd probably be in a range that the doc would love :-)

Using the Iranian equation my LDL comes in at 2.85. I believe that with trigs being as low as they are the Friedewald equation will present an inflated LDL total yes?

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    What PureFunctionalFitness said and with trigs so low your LDL is calculated higher than it is.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Marvellous. Thing is, I now want to roll the results into a tiny little ball, put them inside the mouth of a large fish (salmon probably) and smack her around the face with it.

This paleo thing, it kinda works no?

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Yea it does. I had similar numbers

Total 173
    Tri 57
    HDL 78
    LDL 84 Friedewald 57 Iranian

Even by CW standards I think my numbers look good but my dumbnuts doctor started raising concern about LDL levels and when I brought up the different types of LDL she cut my off and said all LDL is bad....can you guess who is looking for a new doc?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

I would LOVE to find a paleo friendly doctor. I'm going to start looking.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    That looks really good. Get an LDL pattern test if you're concerned. Studies show that ~240 total cholesterol tends to be healthier than <200 total cholesterol. Your doctor is likely a dolt caught up in the "total cholesterol" figure, which means little. Get your self a c-reactive protein test as well to see total systemic inflammation. It's hard for plaque buildup to kill you if you're not inflamed, and by hard I mean impossible since plaque can't penetrate the endothelium without chronic inflammation present.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.