Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega 3 fish oil capsules contain triglycerides? page

memechaser is offline Junior Member

Omega 3 fish oil capsules contain triglycerides?

Shop Now
    I've recently bought some omega 3 fish oil capsules, as I don't think I'm getting enough omega 3 in my diet.

I notice on the ingredients list that it includes fish oil, capsule shell (beef gelatin and glycerol), but also triglycerides and sunflower lecithin.

The last two sound bad to me, I thought triglycerides weren't that good for you...

I'm curious if other brands of fish oil also contain the same types of stuff, and since they're such small quantities there's nothing to be concerned about?

(They're Sainsbury's capsules in the UK, 1000mg, comprising 350mg omega 3, 180mg EPA, and 120mg DHA.)

Anyone?

mannymima is offline Junior Member
    Hi, I`m not sure if it is good or bad. I take fish oil from nature`s sunshine. All organic ingredients and a good value too.
    I think with supplements , you get what you pay for.
    Here is the info about fish oil:
    Omega-3 is a classification of certain kinds of fatty acids that result from the breakdown of dietary fats in the body. They are used to form membranes surrounding each of our trillions of cells. Fish get omega-3 oils from the plankton they eat. The names of these omega-3 oils are EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). DHA is most concentrated in the brain and retina. Both are included in this formulation-EPA 180mg and DHA 120mg, with natural d-alpha tocopherol acetate (vitamin E) to help preserve freshness. Sources for these fish oils are the flesh of cold water fish such as salmon and mackerel. Does not contain fish liver oils.

If you want to give it a go, PM me.

SkinnyMochaJoe is offline Junior Member
    Dude, I know it tastes rank but you gotta switch to the liquid stuff. I use seven seas high strength stuff which set me back 5 from sainsburys also and the omega 3 nutrient stats are, per 10ml omega 3 nutrients total 2450mg of which EPA and DHA 1900mg! You get quite used to the taste after a while, I'd even go so far to say that I quite like the taste.....cough cough......

SkinnyMochaJoe is offline Junior Member
    also no added glycerol or triglycerides to speak of. although does mention fractionated veg oil but not quite sure what that is yet.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    A triglyceride is an ester composed of a glycerol bound to three fatty acids (from wikipedia) Everything you eat is going to contain triglyceride. You can't consume dietary fats without them, that is not of consequence. A high serum triglyceride level means that a person is eating a lot of carbs and triglyceride levels in blood are a way to predicate total VLDL, which is bad.

So you're cool. Just stay away from the soda pop!

Thanks for all the replies

I'll keep taking them --- perhaps increasing to 2g or 3g daily at some point --- and will consider using the liquid stuff, given that it's far more potent.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    all fat has trigs i thought.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    So did i o_0
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyMochaJoe View Post
    Dude, I know it tastes rank but you gotta switch to the liquid stuff. I use seven seas high strength stuff which set me back 5 from sainsburys also and the omega 3 nutrient stats are, per 10ml omega 3 nutrients total 2450mg of which EPA and DHA 1900mg! You get quite used to the taste after a while, I'd even go so far to say that I quite like the taste.....cough cough......
    At the suggestion of another person on here, I just got a bottle of "Carlson Fish Oil Liquid Omega-3" Orange flavor, and it seriously tastes good. Actually, it almost has no taste other than a slight orange aftertaste.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast