Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Omega 3 fish oil capsules contain triglycerides? page 2

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by memechaser View Post
    I've recently bought some omega 3 fish oil capsules, as I don't think I'm getting enough omega 3 in my diet.

I notice on the ingredients list that it includes fish oil, capsule shell (beef gelatin and glycerol), but also triglycerides and sunflower lecithin.

The last two sound bad to me, I thought triglycerides weren't that good for you...

I'm curious if other brands of fish oil also contain the same types of stuff, and since they're such small quantities there's nothing to be concerned about?

(They're Sainsbury's capsules in the UK, 1000mg, comprising 350mg omega 3, 180mg EPA, and 120mg DHA.)
    Hi memechaser --- in regards to brands of fish oils.The general opinion in the U.K. on various websites is that cheap is, in the main, not good.

I personally use a brand called Pura EPA.They have a 90% concentrate of EPA per 100mg and also have 100mg of Borage oil.

They have,allegedly,the highest concentrate per 100mg of any omega 3 fish oil capsule.They're not
    cheap but they seem effective.If your interested just Google Pura EPA for where to buy from.

There's a lot of to choose from.Best to research the web and make your choice.I did.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Ive only heard good things about carlsons
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Cosima is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrappler View Post
    Ive only heard good things about carlsons
    +1

I use the Carlson's lemon flavor fish oil and it has no fishy taste, no fish burbs and doesn't impact my system negatively at all.

mcschmidt_00 is offline Junior Member
    why is liquid fish oil better than gelcaps?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Because if you're taking a lot of fish oil it is a lot more pleasant than having more gelcaps in your meal than food. *wince*
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    I was recommended in health food shop 'Nordic Naturals' Omega -3 with lemon oil in liquid form. Quite pricey. Bugger!!!!! I've just read the small print and it says vit E derived from refined soybean oil!! oh well I've only just bought it and will use it up. There will only be a tiny amount in the 1 tsp dose recommended. I really should take my reading glasses when buying things with small print!

Cosima is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcschmidt_00 View Post
    why is liquid fish oil better than gelcaps?
    Once you realize exactly how much fish oil you need it's immediately apparent that mere teaspoons of oil versus maybe 20 gel caps is the way to go.

Plus those gelcaps can go rancid and you'd never know it unless you're in the habit of breaking one open every once in a while.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shadgal View Post
    I was recommended in health food shop 'Nordic Naturals' Omega -3 with lemon oil in liquid form. Quite pricey. Bugger!!!!!
    It does NOT matter which kind you buy. If it's molecularly distilled, it's pure regardless of the brand.

The things to consider:
    your budget
    the amount of dha/epa per gram
    how much you personally need to offset your dietary intake of Ω
    the ratio of dha/epa

In nature DHA occurs at greater amounts than EPA. Most fish oils supply the *opposite* ratio of what nature supplies. Go for what we *really* evolved eating, not what supplement mfgs are supplying us with ftmp.

There are high dha oils available, Now DHA-500 is one of the many. See my linked docs below for more information.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

kathiepeterson is offline Junior Member
    I've been taking fish oil capsules, particularly Maxalife, because the fish they came from comes from New Zealand. Anyway, I'm taking it for my heart condition and my dry eyes. So far so good!

But yes, why the liquid fish oil compared to capsule? I personally like capsules because I don't get to taste it. It goes straight to my tummy! So far, so good!

sarah_allen is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i also take fish oil capsules from Maxalife. it has been helping me a lot. i also prefer capsules to liquid because it's more convenient for me. i don't think the ingredients are harmful but i guess a right amount of those ingredients won't really hurt. if you are still worried, you can try asking a doctor. or research on the ingredients to see whether they are really good or bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12