Thread: Ketosis and breast feeding? page

Alison is offline Member

Ketosis and breast feeding?

Shop Now
    I am a breast feeding mother, infant is 3 months and some change
    Any thoughts on going into ketosis while BF. I am sure it is not harmful. After all the human race
    Is still alive right?

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I think there's some info on kellymom about it. But really there's no reason to limit carbs while breastfeeding. You shouldn't be making any drastic changes or you risk your milk drying up.

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    I read - sorry, can't remember where - that diet actually plays little part in changing the comp of breast milk. I'd say you'll be fine.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Alison is offline Member
    I have tried it once or twice in the past two weeks. I go for about two and half days and my supply dwindles significantly. However, I tracked my calories those days as well and I eat of course a lot fewer calories on lc. Baby seems to love it either way. I think calories comes into play while bf too.

DouglaCorbi is offline Junior Member
    I think there's some info on kellymom about it

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I have tried it once or twice in the past two weeks. I go for about two and half days and my supply dwindles significantly. However, I tracked my calories those days as well and I eat of course a lot fewer calories on lc. Baby seems to love it either way. I think calories comes into play while bf too.
    Yes. If you don't eat enough you will not make enough milk. Don't worry about losing weight right now. Eat healthy food when you are hungry, the weight will come off at the right time. I nursed both my kids for 18+ months. Just now after >5year pregnant/nursing am I below my pre-preg weight, but my kids got what they needed. Let nature take its course.

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    Yes. If you don't eat enough you will not make enough milk. Don't worry about losing weight right now. Eat healthy food when you are hungry, the weight will come off at the right time. I nursed both my kids for 18+ months. Just now after >5year pregnant/nursing am I below my pre-preg weight, but my kids got what they needed. Let nature take its course.
    +1 !!

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    My N=1 is that when I cut carbs, my supply tanked. I really needed to stay above 100g to keep up supply. I worked on making those really nutrient dense: sweet potatoes, fruit, dairy, etc.

Alison is offline Member
    I think that is so strange, don't you guys? I mean what happened when grokette was starving did her supply quit too? I try to think of bfing from that standpoint. Kinda like what would she have done? No doubt though that I will eat carbs to keep my supply up. I hope to bf for a long time!