Thread: Raw Egg Yolks in Soup page

marthat is offline Senior Member

Raw Egg Yolks in Soup

Shop Now
    Thanks to being the proud new mama to 6 laying hens, I'm swimming in eggs these days - real, fresh (sometimes still warm!), dark yellow yolked eggs. So I'm finding different ways to use them.

I have a German onion soup recipe, passed down through hubby's family, for a soup with white wine broth with a raw egg laid on top of the cheese/bread layer and then stirred into the hot broth. It immediately cooks the yolk as it blends, making the broth creamy, rich and golden. A whole new soup-eating experience. And the idea, if not the German onion soup, is entirely Paleo and Whole30 compliant.

So today, I made turkey vegetable soup (what else the day after Canadian Thanksgiving ?). Because of being on a Whole30 restriction for October, I couldn't use potatos, starchy foods, legumes or dairy to "rich up" the soup. So I tried the egg yolk trick from my onion soup recipe. Just separate the yolk from the white as you crack the egg, then place it gently on the centre of the broth in the bowl. Then break the yolk with your spoon and stir in. Wow!! The broth goes from clear to opaque, but not like a milk based creaminess - it's something entirely different.

It could be done with any broth-based soup.

mommymd is offline Senior Member
    I am envious of your laying hens!!! Are you in a city?

I'm planning on thickening up my leftover turkey pie filling (not making the crust) with an egg yolk instead of flour.

turkey and sweet leek pie | Jamie Oliver | Food | Recipes (UK)

I did a whole 30 at the end of August into September. Didn't lose a single pound, but did get a huge shape change. As soon as I added full fat yogurt, sour cream, cream, cheese, and creme fraiche back I lost 3 lbs. Go figure. Good luck on yours, MarthaT.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I first had the egg yolk in soup thing one vacation in Bavaria, but they had it in the bottom of the soup bowl and poured the most crystal-clear, piping hot, rich bouillon over it. Was delish!

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    I have a giant stockpot of free range turkey broth cooling on the back deck right now. I think I know what I might be doing with some of it tomorrow, thanks marthat

Quote Originally Posted by mommymd View Post
    I am envious of your laying hens!!! Are you in a city?

I'm planning on thickening up my leftover turkey pie filling (not making the crust) with an egg yolk instead of flour.

turkey and sweet leek pie | Jamie Oliver | Food | Recipes (UK)

I did a whole 30 at the end of August into September. Didn't lose a single pound, but did get a huge shape change. As soon as I added full fat yogurt, sour cream, cream, cheese, and creme fraiche back I lost 3 lbs. Go figure. Good luck on yours, MarthaT.
    Happy Thanksgiving, my fellow Canadian PBers! No, MommyMD, I live in a subdivision about 10 minutes outside of a small city. I have immediate neighbours on one side, but a bush lot on the other side of me, at the end of the road. My girls wander next door, but otherwise stick around my own half-acre lot. The neighbours think they are great and put seed out for them. I free-range them for about 3-4 hours per day, otherwise they have a protected run attached to the coop. They give me 5-6 eggs/d.

You're in Toronto, right? You could check your city ordinances about caged livestock in the backyard. Cities are becoming more welcoming of this kind of thing. As long as you avoid roosters, they are quiet and cute.

This is my third Whole30 and I'm doing this one as a desperate attempt to heal an acute tendinitis (called de Quervains tenosynovitis) in my right hand that is really limiting what I can do, including most kinds of lifting or bodyweight exercises. I healed a chronic Achilles tendinitis about 2 weeks into my first Whole30, an amazing "all-in-one-day" kind of healing. I'm hoping for the same thing this time around. Avoiding all things dairy is the big change and challenge for me. I LOVE cheese!

mommymd is offline Senior Member
    I just looked it up. Seems to be in limbo here. When I lives in the Annex (a neighbourhood downtown) our Portuguese neighbour had 2 hens. Last January council voted against allowing them, but due to a charter challenge on Clagary( so Canadian to bring in the charter) they aren't enforcing the bylaws at the minute.

Enjoy yours!

Mommymd

Hemming is offline Junior Member
    I don't want to sound arrogant, but that's one of the oldest tricks in the book when making soups.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I've never heard of this, very cool. But how does it not scramble the egg?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Hemming is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I've never heard of this, very cool. But how does it not scramble the egg?
    You can't let it boil after you have added the egg yolk. It's the same idea as in a creme anglaise.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemming View Post
    I don't want to sound arrogant, but that's one of the oldest tricks in the book when making soups.
    Does "Danmark" in your location mean you are European? That would explain why it's old hat to you and not to me. It was my husband's European relatives that gave me the original "egg yolk in soup" recipe.