Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking I need to cut dairy... page

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member

Thinking I need to cut dairy...

Shop Now
    I'm 15 days into the PB diet and I'm really enjoying it, and one of the things I enjoy the most is my high fat dairy, i.e. heavy cream, butter, and good cheese.
    However, lately I've noticed that I get an itchy upper throat and possibly sinus inflammation when I have my super creamy coffee, I'm not sure about cheese yet though. I really don't want to drop the creamy stuff, but I guess i'll give it a go if I want to feel better. Does anyone else have experience with this itchiness, and do you have any suggestions for switching to non-dairy, such as replacement foods that might make the cross-over easier. Thanks in advance.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Lard is the other good fat. Not so good in coffee though....
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people who don't do dairy use coconut oil for just about everything- it works in coffee, for cooking, etc.

It might just be the quality that you are getting, too. Certain brands of milk cause me to get more mucus-y than others, and I can't do conventional bananas or avocados now, because I either get numbness from the antifungals, or itchy mouth from ... whatever it is they put on conventional avocados.

Try different brands, go organic, or pastured if you can.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I got used to coconut milk in my coffee pretty quickly.

I had big problems with ghee, but switched back to butter and am fine.

Thanks jfreaksho, that is a great first step, because I'd love to keep on using real cream. I'll try and get some high quality stuff and avoid the dark place known as wal-mart.

Have you tried it in coffee?

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I have coconut milk in my chai and it's really lovely. I especially like to chill it in the fridge so it separates and thickens, so when I add it to my drink, the whole thing cools off a bit.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    I'm lactose intolerant so I do try to avoid it completely. However at times when I go to social gathering I have a little bit of cake here and there and I know for a fact it makes me gassy. I also tend to produce more mucus the next day after having it. I actually put lactose free milk in my coffee but no more that 1 cup a day. That's the extent of my dairy consumption. Maybe a slice of lactose free cheese in a day as well.

It's very possible it's the milk that's making your throat itchy. I can't say I have had this experience. Since i switched to Paleo grain exposure really affects my allergy symptoms.

catholicchick is offline Senior Member
    If you are only 15 days in you might want to give yourself a little more time before you give it up completely -or do some experimentation and see how you react without it. I personally love my heavy cream in my breakfast shake in the mornings. I tried Trader Joe's coconut cream for awhile, but didn't see any difference so I went back to heavy cream. That's my n=1, but we all need to our own and fit to our lifestyle. Good luck on your journey!
    Height - 5'8"
    SW - 191
    CW - 162
    GW - 155

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Thanks everyone, all great input, I'll apply it as soon as possible. I've already gotten some higher quality cream and I'll give it a go this afternoon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast