Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking I need to cut dairy... page 2

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm doing a little dairy experiment... I was really enjoying the heavy cream in coffee.. it was so good that I started drinking coffee again after I'd gone awhile without it, had been drinking green tea instead... I have some frozen raspberries, I realized how delicious berries and cream were, and I'd end up going through a (tiny, but still seriously caloric) carton of heavy cream in under 2 days. It was dangerous for me to have it in the house. Plus, when it came to the decision "coffee or tea?" upon waking up, I would go for coffee 9/10 times if there was cream for it, and 0/10 times if there wasn't.

I've been reading "The Mood Cure" by Dr. Julia Ross (I think that's right) and it's about how low serotonin levels make you depressed, and caffeine is anti-serotonin... it's amazing how many here, a place where CW is promptly discarded, still cling to coffee... so acidic, I've read something about it strips calcium from your bones?

Anyway... my point is, cream was not good for me. Having it around encouraged me to ingest more caffeine than I otherwise would, plus I was adding like 500 cals of sat fat to my diet everyday... I bought organic cream, which I hope you do too, but even that is probably from corn and grain-fed cows. It definitely left me mucousy. So I ditched the cream.

But I also had a Greek yogurt addiction to tend to... I was eating at least 1 cup a day of Stonyfield Organic GY but it was non-fat (all I could find), which I justified by saying, hey, I drink half a carton of cream a day, I'm definitely factoring the dairy fat back in... but I wanted to go further and see if I could really de-mucus-ify myself by going cold turkey on dairy altogether.

I went about 9 days completely dairy free, aside from frying broccoli in butter 1 time, but yesterday I caved and got some organic whole milk yogurt (I guess the Greek stuff is history for me, I can't find an organic full fat version, not even at Whole Foods which I have to drive an hr to get to in the first place). Honestly, I think my body was craving the live active cultures. I'm learning that all-or-nothing isn't for me. I'm cutting back my dairy intake, but I can't do 100% dairy-free. I need a sprinkle of cheese here and there and my occasional "sundae" of yogurt, banana, peanut butter, and walnuts...but I don't need to be relying heavily on dairy like I was before. I can't be trusted with cream. I don't like the way I feel when I drink coffee, really strung out and burned out, I feel better drinking a cup of organic green tea with lemon

I figured I'd share my story... I guess the moral is, you don't have to cut it entirely, but we could probably all benefit from cutting back on dairy. I don't regard dairy as healthy, but as a necessary indulgence to keep me sane. If the ability to have my yogurt sundae keeps me from eating a whole bar of dark chocolate in one sitting, it has a positive place in my diet no matter if it is carb-y and legume-y and a bit omega-6-ish.
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 10-09-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12