Thread: So does anybody have any good recipes for a Tangine? page

TorMag is offline Senior Member

So does anybody have any good recipes for a Tangine?

Shop Now
    My mother in law got me a Tangine for Christmas last year and I had not used it until last week when see guilted me into tyring it. Once reason, it takes a day to season and cure the Tangine. I have made two dishes with it so far and I am loving it. The last dish, I just took some left over chicken thighs, mixed a whole bunch of spices together, some coconut milk, onions and zuchinni and it came out great.

Please let me know if you have any recipes.

Thanks
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Nobody?

Here is a picture of a Tangine

Last edited by TorMag; 10-09-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    I've made them before, it's a really good dish! I usually just take a recipe from the FoodNetwork website. You'd just omit flour or replace it with some other thickener, e.g. tapioca starch. Chicken + apricots + almonds and beef + prunes make good combos for the base.

brandymerrit is offline Junior Member
    I usually just take a recipe from the FoodNetwork website

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Lamb tagine!!!! Oh, is it good. I haven't used the actual tagine, though. I make it in my dutch oven. It is a bit sweet due to dried apricots, but you can scale back to your liking.

1.5lbs lamb (I use the bone in steaks and toss the bone in) cut in cubes
    1/2 t salt
    2c chopped onions
    1 t cinnamon
    1.5 t cumin
    1t ground red pepper (I use flakes)
    8 cloves garlic, crushed
    2T honey (or less)
    1.5T tomato paste
    1/2 c dried apricots, quartered
    16oz beef broth

Season lamb with salt. Brown in dutch oven (use some kind of oil or ghee). Remove and set aside. Brown onions in same pan. Add cumin, cinnamon, red pepper, garlic and saute 1 minute until fragrant. Add tomato paste and honey. Stir constantly for a minute. Add broth, apricots and lamb back to pan. Bring to boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook one hour. I cover only partially because I like the sauce to get reduced and thick. SOOOOO good.

I don't know how this translates to the tagine, but the taste is so good. No thickener needed if you allow sauce to reduce.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

peril is offline Senior Member
    Lamb tagine with saffron and preserved lemon recipe

To die for. The preserved lemon really makes it.

NB in Australia, pumpkin includes many of the squashes, including butternut, which we always buy fresh rather than canned. You could used canned without problem. Have also made it with kumara (orange sweet potato?)
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Tweet30346 is offline Junior Member
    Moroccan Food - Moroccan Recipes, Moroccan Cooking, Moroccan Cuisine

Search for "tagine" at the top and you will be rewarded with more Moroccan yumminess than you could know what to do with. Some of my favorites are Tagine Makfoul, tagine of lamb (or beef) with prunes as mentioned above, and the meatball tagine (kefta) tagine with eggs - a staple in my house, for sure!

Tweet30346 is offline Junior Member
    Oh and if you have the patience to preserve lemons, you MUST try the chicken with preserved lemons and olives. YUM!

MichelCleark is offline Junior Member
    2131 Blackstone Landing Dr, Kissimmee, FL 34758
    And lemon is a best preservative for Chicken. Search my Chicken recipe with lemon here. http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes.../lemon-chicken. You will surely like it.

pjgh is online now Senior Member
    Lamb shanks! You can stand them up with the lid holding them in place.
    Make a spicy tomato sauce with it. It's not Moroccan, but use their "cooker" to do lamb shanks the best ever.

If you "do a tagine", as in make a North African meal the North African way, make it pretty.

Meat or fish in the middle, veggies around the edge:

Prior to paleo, so excuse the cous cous. Now, I serve with cauliflower cous cous - steam cauli florets and simply crush with a knife: