Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Really dumb question - why do we care about preserving lean body mass? page 5

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I do pushups and dips, too, in my office.

I think I'll see if I can find a personal trainer who can give me a fitness assessment.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Okay, so here's another illustration. I can wear a size 4 woman's pants. That's a respectable size. I even have a size 2 in my closet that fits comfortably. However, I cannot wear a pair of Ugg boots. Now don't just poo-poo that with "ugg boots are ugly." I cannot wear any boots that come up to your calves. I don't think I've ever had any hair on the backs of my calves due to how tights pants tend to be there. I don't lift like Staci, either.

I guess Dan understands here. That if you lose weight you won't need so much muscle. I want more muscle on my upper body, but less fat AND muscle on the lower body. I just want to be strong enough. I don't want to be an upside-down Pop-eye.
    Calfs are what they are and you hike so will have larger than normal calfs. Boots....are made for women who sit on their asses. I ride horses and where knee high boots. ANYONE with a modicum of activity has to get custom boots because off the shelf boots are made for tiny calfed women.

Your calfs are SHAPELY. You don't have cankles.

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    Also, j crew has extended-calf boots. Or, get a pair of lace-up boots. Sexier, imo. I used to have a pair of stacked-heel lace-up boots that hit right below the calf muscle, and I wore those babies every single day until they wore out. I'm still mourning the loss... They were so perfect - black leather, squarish toe, chunky heel, looked great with everything. Haven't found a similar pair since.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    I don't know what I'm asking, really. I see all these slender women with really amazing muscle definition but I look at my own legs and figure I'd have to eliminate bone to be that slender and then I wonder what is wrong with me. I am wondering what to do next.
    there are certain weighted exercises i point blank refuse to do in case they make me bigger. i know it is me being neurotic but for example i wont do leg extension in case i get huge quads. the guy who taught me the gym based paper when i did personal training said to measure your whatever and then keep measurements to track if they really are getting bigger or more defined. i never used to do upper body till relatively recently as i feared ending up looking like arnie. i have done lots of recent. once a week i go hard at the gym. i now have arms more like madonna than a female body builder as i had just gotten more defined and not bigger at all.

i occasionally do compounds with dumbbells at home. the idea is you use the weight you can do the weakest exercise on which is in my case the overhead press. i have 6kg dumbbells. prob could go a bit heavier. i also have some 6kg clubbells which are awesome. even look at something like convict conditioning as none of those body weight people are huge. i have a copy in the post atm as i am gonna get locked up with the kids for 6 weeks during the school hols lol

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I believe you were pretty darn self-conscious about being so skinny. Or maybe you weren't. For sure you were really self-conscious about how much you ate.
    I wouldn't sweat it. Everyone is a critic It is your body. Unless you are ill (ie anorexia, bulimia, etc), which I don't think you are, there is no reason why you should feel bad about your aesthetics (or should listen to other people telling you you should gain more muscle).

If you want to get lean, than you need to train to get lean. I don't think there is any reason that you couldn't/shouldn't decide to that you have too much muscle mass (in your legs, for example) and should do something about it.

One thing people here don't like to talk about is that calories matter, even when you are eating primal. You need to do two things if you want to stay healthy and lose muscle mass.

1. Count your calories. You probably need to go into a caloric deficit, stay off carbs, and only have moderate protein rather than lots of protein. You still should eat, though. THis means most of your macros will be fat (maybe 35% protein, 50% fat), BUT keep yourself in a caloric deficit (like 200 calories less a day than you need for maintenance). It is gonna stink, though.

2. Exercise very heavy with lower reps. Upper body you can do heavy with moderate reps, lower body should be heavy with few reps. If you are running, it does take a fair amount for that to start being catabolic. Like 20+ miles a week at a minimum.

My two cents.

Me

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everybody. To Tormag, I think it was, who asked me to estimate the miles I've hiked. In case you really wanted to know, in the last 5 years I have probably hiked about 4000 miles or so, maybe a few hundred more. Don't let anybody tell you that slow movement can't build muscle.

I don't know what to believe about the calories thing. When I reduce them I don't lose weight. When I increase them I don't gain weight. When I reduce them I get hungry and tired. When I increase them I get energetic and feel strong and want to do crazy adventures. I don't know, it all evens out I guess.

Can't get any response from any personal trainers in town.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In case you really wanted to know, in the last 5 years I have probably hiked about 4000 miles or so, maybe a few hundred more. Don't let anybody tell you that slow movement can't build muscle.

I don't know what to believe about the calories thing. When I reduce them I don't lose weight. When I increase them I don't gain weight. When I reduce them I get hungry and tired. When I increase them I get energetic and feel strong and want to do crazy adventures. I don't know, it all evens out I guess.

Can't get any response from any personal trainers in town.
    I have prob covered a similar amount of ground over the same time period. i dont build big muscles so i am sure it is genetic. i am totally with you on the calories but i lose weight if i undereat, not that i do very often. i studied personal training. they are awesome for motivation but often very CW focussed. i have achieved heaps with mine in terms of strength gains as i couldnt whimp out. he has a totally different focus to me in that he works in a body builders / power lifters gym so i learn heaps every time i go see him. i have even climbed a 9m rockwall and i have vertigo by pretending he was there lol
    i found this btw. it is an interesting read.
    How to Lose Muscle Mass on Purpose?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345