Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making your own sausages page

seaweed is offline Senior Member

making your own sausages

Primal Fuel
    i have been making venison sausages as my juicer came with a mincer attachment and sausage nozzle. i got some sausage skins from the butcher. i dont usually like sausages as the ones in the shops always have some from of grain in them. i made these with just venison, onion, garlic, salt and spices and they are super yummy. it is kinda like the world is my oyster now as i am having so many ideas of flavour combos i can do.

does anyone else make their own sausages? anyone tried making salami? good recipes?

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Making sausage is a great way to know exactly what is in your sausage. I do make my own fresh and cured sausages, as well as bacon. That being said, I read 5 or 6 books on the subject before I made any sausages. I recommend any of Stanley Marianski's books. The one I learned the most from was his book "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages". He also has a pretty good book on smokehouse construction etc.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I really want to do this too, but I've found that "gluten free" sausages (which I buy from my local organic / pasture fed pork farm) are tougher / less succulent. Can I use something like cooked white rice or mashed potato to mix into the meat for succulence, or does extra fat work?

I have the mincing (grinding) /sausage making attachment for my Kenwood Chef and really would love to make some. All advice much appreciated!!!
    Last edited by breadsauce; 10-08-2012 at 04:12 AM. Reason: typo

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    I made some veinison sausage last year but did not add enough fat and when cooked, it was dry and kind of tough. Try using @ 20% fat by weight to make your sausage juicier.

Bestill is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i have been making venison sausages as my juicer came with a mincer attachment and sausage nozzle. i got some sausage skins from the butcher. i dont usually like sausages as the ones in the shops always have some from of grain in them. i made these with just venison, onion, garlic, salt and spices and they are super yummy. it is kinda like the world is my oyster now as i am having so many ideas of flavour combos i can do.

does anyone else make their own sausages? anyone tried making salami? good recipes?
    I have made them before with venison and other meats. I can tell you that wild venison is so lean that I would cut in some fatty cuts of pork or beef to improve taste and texture. My butcher friend tells me he does a 60-40 mix of venison to pork. I know it sounds like a lot of pork, but it is hard to make a decent sausage without some added fatty meats. My favorite way to punch up my sausages is with fresh garlic and jalapeno peppers.

i made mine with the meat off the ribs of the deer. it was quite fatty. i didnt add any grains at all. i fail to see the point. when i cook them, fat comes out and they definitely arent dry. i do cover them while they are cooking as i have a mental smoke alarm in my house and only stab them to release the juices when they are almost done.

I have the mincing (grinding) /sausage making attachment for my Kenwood Chef and really would love to make some. All advice much appreciated!!!
    you will need a sausage stuffing attachment too which is just a funnel that goes on the end of the mincer. you put the sausage casing over the end of it. it can be quite a trick getting the meat into the skin in a neat and tidy manner, but it is just practise.

trying venison, sage and juniper next.

DouglaCorbi is offline Junior Member
    I read 5 or 6 books on the subject before I made any sausages.

i just googled recipes. i figured it was doable as we have had sausages way before we have all those chemicals they add to sausages and salami.

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    I volunteered with a local guy who makes artisanal cured meats and sausages. It was a great learning experience. Now I just need some equipment!
    http://www.theprimalprepper.com - preparing for life's worst while living for the best

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    did he use special equipment or just the standard mincer and sausage stuffer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast