Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: making your own sausages page 2

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Standard stuff, but professional sized.
    http://www.theprimalprepper.com - preparing for life's worst while living for the best

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I made some fantastic breakfast sausages with pork belly, shoulder, and smoked bacon, plus a few mild spices - white pepper, sage, and maybe a touch of fennel? They were so good, they didn't last long. I need to make some again!

We also tried to make African Boewars sausage and polish sausage. They were good, but the texture wasn't quite right on them.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i find the texture of brought sausages changes depending on who has made them anyways. my kids, for example, wont eat any of our local free range pork places sausages as they are gritty. they also happen to have maize flour in them so it will be pretty awesome to be able to make my own. fennel in sausages is pretty tasty. i put some fennel and some anise in one lot. it's such a good thing to be able to do as you can make any mediocre fatty cut into something tasty.

Sharyn54 is offline Junior Member
    I make my own sausages using the Italian poaching method. Whizz fatty mince, onion, garlic and whatever seasoning you want in a processor. Divide into equal size pieces - 60-65g works well (2-3ozs?). Roll into a sausage shape, roll tightly in foil and twist the ends like an old fashioned sweet (candy?).

Poach in boiling water for 4 minutes. Drain, unwrap and fry in a pan with good fat, or cool and freeze. Thaw and fry.

I am making pork and rosemary, pork and smoked parpika (like chorizo) and beef and chilli this morning.

i wonder if that would work with minced paua ( abalone ). i have a recipe somewhere for paua ravioli which uses wonton wrappers. cant do them so i did think about maybe sausage skinning them. they would be little sausages as paua is not as plentiful as beef or pork. but i may try that. you could poss even do it with baking paper and string of some kind if you didnt want to put tin foil on them? i shall have to experiment.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Sharyn - this sounds great. Will definitely try it soon.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    I think Steve Marianski has some seafood sausage recipes in his book on home processing of quality meats and sausages.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    We will be trying our hand at making probiotic salami next weekend. No nitrates or other chemicals are used instead probiotics, salt and a mold used in cheese making. We'll be using grass fed beef; we have so much ground beef from the half cow we bought it seems like a good way to use it. Here's the link for instructions:

Probiotic Salami Recipe & Pig In A Day E-Book - - Healthy Kitchen

i made salami with my sausages by just hanging them. 30g salt per kg i think off the top of my head. i didnt do any of the probiotic stuff. just hung and air dried. it was yummy and none of us got food poisoning either lol

The Grazer: Homemade Salami

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That looks fantastic!
    http://www.theprimalprepper.com - preparing for life's worst while living for the best

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12