Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Just my curiosity. How long have you been primal, AND.... page 5

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Aside from the occasional holiday I'll likely keep eating this way. At Christmas though I WILL pig out on mocha cakes, pork pies and egg nog until I collapse with a fever. Oh, chocolate too.
    But yeah holidays are the exception for me. And even then the amount of meat I end up eating usually saves me from a complete GI fukushima.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Primal Papa, when are you going to have your blood work done? I read somewhere that you should wait until you're near your goal weight to have your blood work done. My husband had his blood checked earlier and he was a little disappointed that his numbers weren't better. But he's been overweight pretty much all his adult life (he recently moved out of the obese category) and I think it takes time for the changes to show up in the blood work.

I had insomnia for years and it finally improved with primal eating and the addition of magnesium. I've been eating primally for about 2 1/2 yrs. This is how I eat now; I have no intention to going back to eating grains I honestly don't miss them. My overall health is so much better, I had no idea that my health could be better, I thought my little aches and pains, insomnia weight gain, headaches were all just part of getting older. Not so!

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Papa View Post
    Owly, the sleep is the big issue. I have frequent insomnia, and even when I don't, between kids getting up for school, wife heading out to work, and two dogs, well, sleep is not easy to get in big amounts. I worked 19 years on the 3Pm - 11PM shift, and I was going to bed at 2 - 3AM... I haven't had that job in 3 years, and I still can't usually fall asleep until that time.... and the house gets up at 6AM....
    My parents switched to primal (and they aren't exactly the strictest adherents, but it's still an improvement) early last year when they visited for a couple of weeks. My mum (in her early 60's) has suffered from insomnia for decades, usually getting to sleep ok but waking early and then unable to get back to sleep. She found that after cutting grains for a couple of months this improved dramatically, and when she slips off the wagon and has too much cake / bread or to often, her sleep deteriorates again.

I echo what others have said about making your choice to stick with primal based on a blood test, for several of reasons:

1. A blood test is a snapshot in time, if you're talking about a cholesterol test (sorry, just skimming ) then results can vary quite a bit from day to day, let alone month to month.

2. Cholesterol tests are often misinterpreted by doctors who just look at the total cholesterol levels, or triglyceride levels (which can easily be incorrect for people who eat this way due to the formula commonly used to calculate trigs from HDL & LDL giving false readings when HDL levels are under 100 (I think, may be lower).

3. Cholesteorl tests don't mean a great deal in and of themselves. They are but one dipstick indicator to overall health / cardiovascular heart disease risk that are only really relevant if you have a number of other risk factors (High blood cholesterol, diabetes & prediabetes, smoking, lack of physical activity, poor diet, high stress, family history of heart disease).

4. Be patient.You've had your whole life to get to where you're body's in it's current state, you're not going to fix that in 2 weeks, or even 2 months! It could take a while, but you should slowly but surely see, or at least feel the difference. Just stick with it, exactly as Mark has prescribed in the book (ignore 90% of what's said on the forum as they are often made by people who haven't even read the book, or the freely available info here. Or if they have, they are experimenting with any number of hacks or tweaks) for a couple of months and then judge how you feel, look and perform in your chosen physical activities.

5. If you're following all of the principles of the primal blueprint (e.g. being active, reducing/managing stress, eating primally, etc. basically reducing or mitigating a number of the other risk factors) and you don't feel any better, or feel worse (other than after the first couple of weeks of adjustment from burning sugar to burning fat, and any possible withdrawal sypmtoms from cutting out grains & process sugars etc.) then I'd think again. If you're feeling good, maybe lost some body fat (if needed/desired) then why would you stop just because a printout has a number on it that you or your doctor doesn't like? (bearing point 3 in mind).

Of course, you could just ignore all of this. After all I'm just some guy on the internet

Afterthought: Also, if it is blood lipids/cholestorl tests that you're referring to, then as Urban Forager alludes to, if you are overweight and find that being primal for a month or two helps you lose weight, the result of that will be that your body releases cholesterol from your dimishing fat cells back into your blood stream, which will inflate the scores on your test. However, once your weight stabilises you should find your readings are better.
    Last edited by Misabi; 10-08-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Primal Papa, when are you going to have your blood work done? I read somewhere that you should wait until you're near your goal weight to have your blood work done. ...

That seems kind of silly to me. These will be close to my baseline numbers, I was talking to a doctor who specializes in blood, and he said that it takes 10 weeks to 12 weeks ( of a new way of eating ) to get a good feel for what's in your blood. So, I had my numbers done early in the year, and all were pretty good except my A1C. The next time I will have my blood work done is in early 2013. I plan to think of those as my baseline numbers after eating primaly for about 16 weeks.
    Last edited by Primal Papa; 10-09-2012 at 04:00 AM.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think you should do some research on those blood numbers. They are artificial. They don't show what doctors think they show. They are usually misinterpreted as well as mis-calculated..
    + 1 on this before I say anything else. I would be very very careful to judge my health by numbers and not how I feel.

I have been loosely primal since last year and VLC primal since April (except one cheat a week when I have about 150-250 g of mostly primal carbs). I have non-primal food ocassionally but I hardly ever crave it. Primal sweets give me enough "cheating" potential

Before going primal it took me about a year to get myself convinced and read all the possible books on paleo/primal to make me a firm believer. It wasn't about weightloss but easy maintenance really - I lost about 20 kgs over two years ago by clean diet and calorie counting but I was looking for some lifestyle approach that would be sustainable for life and would sort out a lot of other little problems I had - insulin resistance, PCOS, mood swings, cravings, inflammation etc. Now, having had a proper go at it, I believe it is my choice for life. The only thing I can see stopping me is total lack of money/sources for real food and I will make sure that doesn't happen. Let's face it - any healthy diet is not cheap or available to everyone. It's only the worst bit of CW that's really cheap
    At the same time my lab numbers are better than ever (better than they were after clean conventional diet and weightloss), trigs are non-existant, HDL is much higher than LDL, totals low and the correlations ideal. So I am happy - even with numbers

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Ah, well, if it's your A1C I bet it will be improved, as well as your triglycerides. Your blood pressure has probably started to drop as well.

Some people on very low carbohydrate diets might actually see A1C go up over time, however, but that's a physiological response that doctors don't understand very well and can be fixed without having to go back to eating processed food, bread and pastries.

It's the LDL and the HDL that are less straightforward and nowadays it seems more and more research shows that they really don't know what those numbers mean or whether they really are linked to the food you eat or whether you're going to have a heart attack.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    PrimalPapa, I don't know if you've read my journal where I detailed my husbands experiences with Primal and bloodwork so I will update you here.
    We started eating this way in May of 2011. It took us a little bit of time to get the junk out of our menu plan but shortly after we did, he had an appointment with the cardiologist for bloodwork. Seven years ago he had a heart attack due to high cholesterol and arterial plaque. After a few months of eating things cooked in butter, eating fatty meats and doing what the cardiologists tell you to avoid he was so sure that his cholesterol levels would come back worse than before. When the results came back they had IMPROVED. Fast forward a year. Another appointment with the cardiologist, this time for a nuclear test to show the heart a work and at rest plus more blood work. Not only did the blood work come back better than before, but the cardiologist was happily surprised to find that his arteries are now completely normal.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    PrimalPapa, I don't know if you've read my journal where I detailed my husbands experiences with Primal and bloodwork so I will update you here.
    We started eating this way in May of 2011. It took us a little bit of time to get the junk out of our menu plan but shortly after we did, he had an appointment with the cardiologist for bloodwork. Seven years ago he had a heart attack due to high cholesterol and arterial plaque. After a few months of eating things cooked in butter, eating fatty meats and doing what the cardiologists tell you to avoid he was so sure that his cholesterol levels would come back worse than before. When the results came back they had IMPROVED. Fast forward a year. Another appointment with the cardiologist, this time for a nuclear test to show the heart a work and at rest plus more blood work. Not only did the blood work come back better than before, but the cardiologist was happily surprised to find that his arteries are now completely normal.
    That's awsome Honeybuns
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Nearly three years primal, and I don't ever intend to "go back." My life and health have changed so much, it has made me rethink priorities in my life and changed me for the better in many ways. I will say though, that after doing some experimentation on myself I notice no benefit to cutting dairy (for me), and now that I'm at a great weight and general health I see little benefit to low carbing on purpose, or to worrying about macros. Life is definitely better with some dairy in it and some white potatoes. I'm sure that the Paleo Jesus types will ban me from their circle of coolness now, but I'm not too interested in that conversation any more.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure that the Paleo Jesus types will ban me from their circle of coolness now, but I'm not too interested in that conversation any more.
    Hells yeah.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast