Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Just my curiosity. How long have you been primal, AND.... page 4

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I don't really get this. Are you not enjoying the changes you've made? If that's the case, maybe you've jumped in too fast, or bought into a definition of primal that's too restrictive. There's a lot of primal as religion in this forum and it can be overwhelming to someone who's finding their way.

I think it is pretty simple. If my blood work shows poor results then I won't stay on primal. My thoughts have nothing to do with what others think about how they look at primal. I have read some books, and read this site, and others, and i have formed my opinions, just like everybody else does for themselves.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Almost 9 months.

Absolutely, I will eat this way for the rest of my life.

No numbers back from my doctor will make me include rancid oils, processed foods, excess sugars, or even grains and legumes.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    A year for me. And yeah, as long as I think that this is the healthy life, why wouldn't I continue it?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Papa View Post
    I think it is pretty simple. If my blood work shows poor results then I won't stay on primal. My thoughts have nothing to do with what others think about how they look at primal. I have read some books, and read this site, and others, and i have formed my opinions, just like everybody else does for themselves.
    Well, of course, everyone will make the choices they think are in their best interests. But I don't see primal as simple. Some people prefer something like 70% fat/10% carb. I am closer to 40% fat/30% carb. They are both primal, but maybe not equally healthy for every person. What they have in common is stepping away from grains and processed foods. Now, if you question the value of that, it would be hard to maintain in any circumstances.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

CrazyCatLady is offline Member
    I have been eating primal since August, doing sleep and exercise for a little less time. I think I am in this for the long haul with short forays into sourdough bread every so often. (Most certainly the 80/20.)

Since going primal I no longer have afternoon shaky need to eat Triscuit time. My hip that has hurt for the past 7 years hasn't hurt. I am sleeping better. The "bible bump" I had on my wrist is gone. I hate paying money for bigger clothes each year, I would rather wear out what I have first and buy new things the same size. I have 4 family members (grandparents, aunt and brother) who have/had type II diabetes. Not letting that happen. I am not hungry, yet have lost weight - this is something new compared to other diets. I like the science that supports this.

For me, the primal meals are pretty easy to make as I made all my food from scratch before. I just add more veges and take out the pasta, rice and grains. Stir fries, curries, etc are pretty easy and easy to do primal. I miss grinding my own flour and making my own bread, but I feel so much better, and have so few cravings now.

I tried some "Krave" cereal at the store the other day as a sample. It seemed sweeter than sugar and I joked with my kids that it was Calving and Hobbes' Sugar Coats Sugar Bomb Cereal. I certainly do not "krave" it anymore. Even my kids needed to get a drink of water after that one!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Owly, the sleep is the big issue. I have frequent insomnia, and even when I don't, between kids getting up for school, wife heading out to work, and two dogs, well, sleep is not easy to get in big amounts. I worked 19 years on the 3Pm - 11PM shift, and I was going to bed at 2 - 3AM... I haven't had that job in 3 years, and I still can't usually fall asleep until that time.... and the house gets up at 6AM....
    I live with a man like that--he worked nights for many years and still tends to be a night owl when left to himself. I'm an insomniac on the other end of the night (early waking, rather than having trouble falling asleep) so the early nights are good for me since I tend to wake early regardless, but he's definitely had trouble adjusting to earlier sleep times. I'm going to put f.lux on his computer to see if that helps him at all, and he's also trying to cut down on the lighting in the evenings, so maybe that will make a difference. He starts work at 6:00am these days, so the late bedtimes really take their toll if he isn't careful.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    2 1/2 years and never looking back to CW. I've never felt and looked better in all my 46 years. More energy, better outlook on life, great food(although I have an occasional treat), and the support from the people around here has been fantastic...What more is there!!!!!
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I think it's a mistake to base your decision on something like blood work. For starters, if you're still losing weight by then, your blood work may not look so good (a lot of people get elevated cholesterol when they're still losing weight on primal). Also, shouldn't it be more about how you feel/function, than some numbers? Obviously if you are following primal and feel like crap, then you might have a reason to go off it... but if you're feeling fantastic, losing weight etc. why would you quit, even if your "numbers" are bad?

I see from another post you are worried about your insomnia. Do you feel primal has exacerbated this problem? If so, I can understand why this would be a problem for you. However, it may be something you can easily address without going off primal, too. To be honest, I've found it harder to sleep lately than I usually do... even last night I was still awake at midnight despite getting up at 5.35 for CrossFit (AND daylight savings only just started here on Sunday, so it was more like 4.35am). I do wonder what I can do to address this (I've read some people say that they need more carbs or they get insomnia).

Still, this won't get me to quit primal, at all! It's just something I have to figure out how to deal with if it continues to be a problem, and I'm sure there are answers to it that don't involve me going back to CW eating.

I just don't see any other benefits AT ALL to going back to what I was doing before, which left me overweight and unmotivated. I haven't a frigging clue about bloodwork, as I've never in my life had bloodwork done, and I don't plan to start now . I don't want some doctor casting judgement on my life because I don't do the same thing that 95% of the population do.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Started eating strict paleo back in 2008, then naturally gravitated towards a more primal diet for a while before finding Marks blog and realising that it just all made absolute sense. Since then I haven't looked back
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I think you should do some research on those blood numbers. They are artificial. They don't show what doctors think they show. They are usually misinterpreted as well as mis-calculated.

I feel so incredibly healthy now that even if my cholesterol was 400 I wouldn't change anything. You can't tell me that to look like these deflated, brain-fogged, dried up, tired-looking old men on statins is healthier than feeling fully alive with a bad cholesterol number. I don't know if I have high cholesterol, but if I did, there's no way I'd want to be like these old men I know. They can't think, they look terrible, they suffer depression and confusion and can't keep up with fast-moving conversation, they look tired and like they've already had the heart-attack they are trying to avoid.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast