Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed, please... page

normdave is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

My wife decided to join me for an entire week she did the Grok thing, food wise and worked out (which she has for a long time with me) the only difference in our foods was a little more eaten on her part and 16 ounces of wine almost everyday. She lost no pounds, not a one and is very upset. The carb count was below 50 except for one day, all from fruit or veggies. I know she did not vary and feel bad for her. Any good advice would be appreciated.

jpippenger Guest

We need a little more info. What exactly did the two of you eat?

What kind of condition are you in? You noted that the two of you have worked out for a "long time". If your wife is good shape and is only a few pounds over her desired weight, it might take some time to drop those last few pounds. A week isn't really that long of a time.

A few things to remember. Weight is the worst way to measure yourself. If you look at other strands around here, you will see people commenting on how they have changed as much as four pounds from one day to the next. There are any number of reasons for why your wife didn't drop any weight.

It could be that she was holding less water at the beginning of the week and dropped some fat weight, but gained water weight the next time she weighed in.

She could have gained some muscle mass while losing fat.

She may need to tweek what she is eating. We have no idea how many calories she is consuming. Where those calories are coming from. What physical condition she is in to begin with.

The one piece of advice I can give at this point, is to give the lifestyle more time than a week (at least 30 days) and first look at how much better she feels.

Sorry, she is large boned, and strong. We both did the fitday site to track our meals, usually around the 50/30/10 fat, protein, carb. She has around 30 pounds to lose. I agree about the scale and do not rely on it, but it does seem to affect women more than men. Nothing meant by that. We have been active and into fitness for 30 plus years, but menopause kicked her butt and she has been trying to recover ever since.

jpippenger Guest

If she is strong, where did she get her ideal weight number? It may not be realistic for her, as she may be only able to achieve such a weight by losing muscle.

She should look more towards a body fat percentage and measure that. As your ratios look good, it sounds like persistance and patience would be best. If she is post menopause and active already, she is at the stage where her weight loss is going to be slow.

The most important thing is to focus on health, if she follows PB, she will find she is feeling better and she will reach an ideal body fat ratio.

I get caught up in weight loss from time to time as its so easy to step on a scale and say, I want to reach such and such a weight, but it is a self-destructive mentality. It often causes dissapointment. Focusing on how much better one feels and watching your body composition change is a much more rewarding way to go.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Good on the Fitday, but how many calories? Were they reduced from what they used to be?

If I want weight loss results, my calorie load MUST be 1500 a day deficit or more. (I'm 6'3" and now 252 pounds.) And carbs below 50. If either of those intakes, change, I don't lose weight.

That's me, YMMV.

Catalina is offline Member

I agree that one week just isn't enough to give any true indicator of weight loss. . .at least a month would be good to see how she feels and if she loses.

I couldn't tell from your post whether you are each drinking 16 ounces of wine most days, or if that is between the two of you. I think that one 5-6 ounce glass of wine is a recommendation for women (at least during a weight loss period). Not sure--maybe some other folks can chime in on that.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Ok, did I read that right? 16 ounces of wine?

If I'm not mistaken, one serving is 3 or 4 ounces. I would wager that might be part of the problem.

Yes, you read that right about the wine. She will not give it up. Her calories were up in the 2000 range also. I do not drink at all. I agree with the scale being not as effective as measurement.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

Dave, if she wants results she should give up the wine - or cut back to 1 serve. Alcohol will be burned for energy preferentially.

She wants to access her stored body fat. If she wants to see results she has to be prepared to give things up. Otherwise she can stay 30 pounds overweight.

She could keep her carbs to 20g for a couple of weeks to get things moving and up to 50g.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Absolutely. She's going ot have to make a choice. Weight loss or wine.

I love wine too. It's one of my most favorite things in the whole world, but I love losing weight more, so my love of wine has gone to the back burner. I'm sure she'll see results if she cuts down to just 3 ounces a day. Obviously she'll see more results if she reduces to 3 ounces a week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast