Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to those of you that quit CrossFit? page

mark2741 is offline Member

What happened to those of you that quit CrossFit?

Primal Fuel
    Anyone here do CrossFit for a while and then quit? If so, what did you do to replace it, fitness-wise, and how did it/is it working for you?

I ask because I think I'm at the end of the CrossFit experience for me. But I'm afraid to quit as I am in the best shape of my life. Problem is, I always feel worn out and am always battling little nagging injuries ever since starting CrossFit.

A little about me:

I've been CrossFitting for about 4 months now. Every month I've contemplated quitting, but then I just say to myself, "One more month." It's not that it doesn't work in terms of giving me a great workout, but the problems are:

1. I'm too competitive. But I don't have the fitness level to back it up. This is a flaw with me of course, not CrossFit. And it would be fine...if I were in better shape and better at CrossFit, but many of the movements I am not even close and never will be due to lack of flexibility (to that point where it is now holding me back from getting better with the olympic lifts) and in some cases fear (Handstands, rope climbs).

2. I'm constantly either injured or just feeling like shit.

A few weeks ago I was doing cleans when I tweaked my wrist. It took 2 weeks to heal. And I have a pinched nerve in my neck/back (never was definitively diagnosed because of my claustrophobia - couldn't go through with the MRI). That has been acting up the last week ever since going all out with a WOD.

3. I am not motivated by the community/group workouts. At times, I get kind of annoyed with the "Keep it up!" and "One more rep!!!" that I get mid-WOD from my peers. I know I'm not normal in this regard : )

Discipline isn't an issue for me, so I'm thinking about joining a local globo-gym as I am certain that I'll need to do strength training. I live in the Northeast so working out doing playground workouts is not going to be an option in another month or two, given the weather.

I am just afraid that what little fitness level I've built up over these 4 months will go away no matter what I do, as I have no interest in the high-rep/high-intensity WODs anymore. But a once per week doing a sensible (for me) HIIT session is definitely in the cards.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    We have a weight bench at home. For us, it's (a) cheaper in the long run since weights don't wear out and (b) makes a higher likelihood we exercise with 2 small kids. I switch between following PBF and a weight lifting program (starting strength for now). I have seen some great gains. I'm hoping to hang a pull up bar in the garage when we move as well so it's less awkward. I also play soccer once a week and do a sprint session as the weather (and life) allows.

Nick the Destroyer is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like your workouts and your goals don't align. I'm a proud globo gym member - my whole family is on the membership for 1/3 the price of me doing crossfit by myself. This is what I do, and it works well for not just fitness, but strength.
    2 days of strength training - one day squats, deadlifts, presses and their variations, one day of simple olympic lifts - power cleans, push presses, power snatches, etc...
    2 days of cardio strength circuits - bodyweight excercises, kettlebells, TRX - set up in circuits of 5-9 exercises, usually five rounds for time
    2 days of straight up cardio - sprints, shorter distance runs, ellyptical intervals
    1 day of rest or active rest.
    You push the strength and fitness, you get alot of variety so you don't get hurt, and you gauge how hard you need to work. May not be Crossfit levels, but its more than enough for most people.
    "Suffer no guilt yee who wield this in the name of Crom"
    Quote on the Father's Sword

Thanks Nick - that sounds like a heck of a routine you have. I never thought about a 'cardio strength' routine. Will have to keep that in mind.

As for my goals - my goal is simply to feel good and look good. That's it. I'm 41yoa - lost 70lbs a couple of years ago via a low-carb approach and have kept it off pretty easily, but with that weight loss came an increase in energy levels and I eventually decided to 'become a fitness nut' : ) Problem is, CrossFit is just not for me. I truly do think it's great, but just not for me. I'm glad I've done it and stuck it out - it got me to a good baseline fitness level and I'm now flexible enough to actually do strength training on my own with proper form (before I couldn't even do a squat correctly due to my lack of flexibility).

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    Mark imagine you were thinking of joining CrossFit for the first time now and talking to your future self about it.
    Here's how I see the conversation going:

Mark: I'm thinking of starting CrossFit, how is it?

Future Mark: Great, I'm fitter and better at CrossFit than I was before starting CrossFit

Mark: And you feel better & stronger day to day too?

Future Mark: Oh no, I'm pretty worn out. I feel older than I am and something is always sore.

Mark: Like sore muscles?

Future Mark: Those too, but mostly joints and bones and I'm mentally run down.

Mark: What about skills, are you good at the Olympic lifts and other techniques?

Future Mark: A little, mostly we focus on reps and speed though. Some of the lifts hurt.

Future Mark: So, are you going to join?

Mark: um, maybe....

This is where I think CF can be a bit cultish. It's not working for you, it's not aligned with your goals, but the group mentality I imagine is that "we are CrossFit people. We don't quit CrossFit. You'll be weak."

If you quit I'm sure you'll lose capacity for CF, but you can probably find something more appropriate for you.
    Don't be afraid to take the good components of CF away with you though.

Mike,

You nailed it : )

CrossFit has taught me a lot about fitness, what intensity is, etc. I don't want to bash it - it's been great in some ways. My options are:

a. Continue to do CrossFit and, due to my own stupidity and inability to 'dial it back', continue to injure myself or
    b. Quit and do something else

I'm definitely looking at option b. I just don't know what exactly that routine looks like. When you go from a VERY high intensity CFIT routine 3 times per week, I imagine there has to be a drop-off. I could care less about the metrics that a lot of the CrossFitters care about (Deadlift weight, "Fran" time, doing handstand pushups, etc.). I'm not a firefighter so I'm as 'functionally fit' as I need/desire to be. I just want to build muscle and continue to lean out. After doing CF for 4 months, I honestly think I would be more muscular/lean if I had just done 2x per week traditional weightlifting. Would I be as good at burpees or doing a metcon, or have the mental toughness to do a metcon for 30 minutes straight? No. But it's not something I care about, hence my choosing to quit.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    Don't be afraid to take the good components of CF away with you though.
    I was going to say the same thing.
    No workout routine is perfect for everyone, but there are usually plenty of good things to take from them, while adding things that work for you in order to make it a routine that you enjoy doing, and one that you will benefit from.
    Over the years, I've done many different routines and exercises, and changing things up and customizing routines is normal, and a great way to keep you interested and doing it consistently.
    Crossfit isn't the only way to fitness. Not by a longshot.
    Some things will work great for you, and others won't. Stick with what works for you.
    Sometimes you have to think for yourself instead of always listening to others tell you what to do, and it sounds like you're doing just that. Good for you.
    Good luck. I'm sure you'll figure it out, and you'll learn some good stuff in the process.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Mark, as you've said, Crossfit isn't for everyone. (I've been a dedicated Crossfitter for over 2 years.) You stuck it out for long enough to have given it a really good try, so don't let anyone make you feel "inadequate" or "inferior". At my box, if someone gives it a reasonable amount of time to see if it's for them, but then moves on, there are no judgements made or hard feelings.

Take what you've learned, get advice from others who are knowledgeable, and make your own fitness plan. The important thing is to keep moving and have fun!

Diogenes is offline Member
    Check out the CC Super FAQ, it may address some of your issues.

Super FAQ

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Is there another box nearby that could maybe assist you in reaching your goals? If you are tweaking yourself and injuring yourself during WOD's, the staff there should be pulling you back and verifying that your form is good. If it's not, you need to be doing less weight or less reps, and again, they should be watching this.

I've never done Crossfit, but I see these kinds of complaints and I always wonder about the advisability of doing intense workouts to failure or near failure that require high levels of technique as well. In the Army we push to failure, but it's never anything more complicated than a kettlebell swing or hanging heel hooks (with spotters).

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast