Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What happened to those of you that quit CrossFit? page 5

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hmm this thread has me thinking... See, I just found out that my college gym is offering two free crossfit sessions a week starting next week, taught by a level 1 trainer. I looked into crossfit very briefly a year or so ago but when I noticed the cost it really deterred me from trying it out or learning more about it. Now that I can attend for free however I was thinking about trying it to see what it's all about, but I'm not sure I like the idea of being pushed so hard and so intensely that I could get injured. I've done some basic strength training, but I definitely am an amateur when it comes to knowing the correct form for every exercise, and I admit I'm definitely not very strong at all and it seems a bit daunting to me, being such a newbie to the whole crossfit scene. I'm a bit shy when it comes to working out also, and I typically prefer to do my own workouts in private, so I'm sort of nervous about trying this out in front of a bunch of people who are probably far fitter and stronger than me...

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I stopped CrossFit 7 months ago due to personal stuff with the trainer and an injury (from not resting nothing to do with the training, as he really did focus on good form). I will go back to CrossFit some day, as the workouts make sense, and I love the community of it.
    I gained 20 kg, but I did stop eating primal and the same time I stopped going. But rectifying things now Building up slowly, just walking now.

Hope you can reach your goals soon

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeera View Post
    Hmm this thread has me thinking... See, I just found out that my college gym is offering two free crossfit sessions a week starting next week, taught by a level 1 trainer. I looked into crossfit very briefly a year or so ago but when I noticed the cost it really deterred me from trying it out or learning more about it. Now that I can attend for free however I was thinking about trying it to see what it's all about, but I'm not sure I like the idea of being pushed so hard and so intensely that I could get injured. I've done some basic strength training, but I definitely am an amateur when it comes to knowing the correct form for every exercise, and I admit I'm definitely not very strong at all and it seems a bit daunting to me, being such a newbie to the whole crossfit scene. I'm a bit shy when it comes to working out also, and I typically prefer to do my own workouts in private, so I'm sort of nervous about trying this out in front of a bunch of people who are probably far fitter and stronger than me...
    The fear of injury plus feeling like I'm not strong or fit enough for crossfit has kept me from trying it. At least if it is free you can go to the first session and leave and never come back if you don't like it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

NickBall is offline Member
    I've been doing crossfit for four months or so recently returning to WOD's after a very painful back injury (not while doing crossfit). How I manage crossfit, and much to the trainer's dismay is I don't care at all about time. When lifting, pulling, pushing, or whatever, I focus entirely on form and heavy weight. I don't care if I turn in the slowest time of the day. I think I get better results (increased strength) by focusing on form and heavier weights than jerking myself and some weights around while trainers yell at me to not stop. For example, I'm not sure if I see the point of kipping. My goal is to increase my strength and ability to pull myself up not to increase my ability to do as many pull ups in a specific period of time. I'm usually 10 - 15 minutes slower than the average class member.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    My experience is similar to Heetseeker's. I just joined Crossfit, and I love it. I'm going very slowly because of a herniated disc and the fact that I haven't worked out in 4 years. Prior to that, I worked out as a high performing, age group master athlete in many types of sports and races. I'm very new to lifting and my 'box' is taking things very slowly with me, ensuring that my form is 100%. Currently i attend 2 work outs per week and I need the time in between to recover (I'm 48 yrs old). I hope to work up to 3 x per week over the next few months and then walk, sprint and enjoy some 5 and 10km running races in my spare time. I'm taking this slow and steady: I'm a patient athlete and know that I must build a solid base before I can build fast reps or higher weights into my programme. So far, I'm loving the cross fix experience, but I'm sure that every box and every coach is n=1 -- just like all of us are. /Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    When lifting, pulling, pushing, or whatever, I focus entirely on form and heavy weight. I don't care if I turn in the slowest time of the day. I think I get better results (increased strength) by focusing on form and heavier weights than jerking myself and some weights around while trainers yell at me to not stop.
    I applaud this. Especially if you've got coaches who are rushing you through lifts at the expense of form. Baaaaad.

I'm not sure if I see the point of kipping. My goal is to increase my strength and ability to pull myself up not to increase my ability to do as many pull ups in a specific period of time.
    I think people who don't see the point of kipping are still thinking of kipping pullups as a substitute for a strict pullup, when it's better to think of them as just a completely different exercise. It uses much more in the way of core strength and gymnastic ability than the shoulder/back strength that's the focus of pullups. It's meant to develop the hollow body position and gymnastic technique that will eventually allow you to do kip-ups and other more difficult bar work. It's basically cardio bar work (ergo, useful in metcons) that happens to mimic the end result of a pullup, so the word "pullup" is tossed in there, but in my mind, they're apples and oranges.

When I wanted to do a pullup, I practiced doing pullups, not kipping. When I wanted to do kipping pullups, I practiced kipping, not pullups. Being able to do one does not mean you're able to do the other (I know lots of people who can only do one or the other--yes, this includes people who can do strict pullups but can't get the hang of kipping).

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    when I did CrossFit we did work on kipping pull up as a separate practice from normal pull ups.
    When you couldn't do strict pull ups, like I couldn't you worked with bands and progressed down from there.

OP, I know I might be a little late to the show for you, have you looked at Military Athlete or Mountain Athlete? Same owner just two different training plans based on your needs as an athlete. Military Athlete's Operator Sessions are designed for someone in the Military who needs certain things in their fitness plan. Mountain Athlete's Base Fitness does the same thing for backpackers, climbers, ski, snowboarders, mountain runners, mountain bikers, etc... Just a thought that these two places may be a better place for you to be looking.

david.arellano.trainer is offline Junior Member
    Cross training aka crossfit was developed to train athletes during their off season. They only did this once or twice a week depending on the sport they played. If you want to get in shape without injury begin with basic bodyweight exercises and some cardio on a treadmill or bike or some sort of cardio machine. This will allow your muscles and joints adequate time to adjust to the new specific demands you place on your body.

Sent from my HTC One V using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

dml
    dml is offline Senior Member
    CrossFit and cross-training are not the same thing. Yeah, both terms contain the word "cross" and both might mean that you do more than a single primary sport or movement.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast