Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to those of you that quit CrossFit? page 3

mark2741 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks everyone for the discussion. I formally quit CrossFit yesterday morning and plan on joining a local gym soon. My pinched nerve is still acting up a bit so I won't be doing any LHT until it clears up but once it does I want to start a Stronglifts-like routine. While I loved the olympic lifts in Crossfit, I didn't like the high-reps/speed that was required/encouraged during the WODs. I'll start another thread for my next dilemma - picking a gym : (

Thanks again.

mark h is offline Junior Member
    I quit Crossfit a few years ago, but I believe the basics are still the best. I never knew why Crossfit went so heavily into Olympic weight lifting. I guess it was because it is difficult to find Gymnastic equipment or trainers. My theory is that I have never seen an out of shape Gymnast. I have seen plenty of out of shape but strong lifters and plenty runners that could hardly pass a physical. For me, I still check the work out of the day and modify it to my likings.
    Keep it going, Mark

mark2741 is offline Member
    FWIW....an update on how I fared after quitting CrossFit.

In a nutshell: I've thrived.

I began the Starting Strength-like program, but only twice per week most weeks. I also do some occasional walking on treadmill as well as a once a week basic yoga class (all of this at my local globo-gym). I also will pick a HIIT activity to do once per week to 10 days, and sometimes that's whatever WOD is prescribed at the little CrossFit area at my gym (they have classes, but I have no interest in it for now). But I just joined an adult indoor soccer league last week and that was one heck of a workout so I will just be doing that once per week as well.

In terms of strength gains - in the 2 months since quitting crossfit my strength gains have doubled. I can comfortably back squat 165 now with proper form. When I left crossfit I could only do about 90lbs with perfect form.

Most importantly to me - I have muscle definition now that I didn't have when I was killing myself doing crossfit. So, for me, both aesthetically and statistically, I've improved immensely since stopping crossfit. Why? Two reasons (IMO):

1. The constant chronic cardio (which is what crossfit is, let's be honest) and the stress that triggers is no longer an issue
    2. Instead of rushing through and worrying about points/score/time/competing with others/finishing before the next session starts, I can take my time and focus on form and focus on pure compound exercises that a guy like me needs: squats, chest presses, etc., not 'farmer carries' followed by kettlebells as fast as you can followed by an occasional olympic lift that had to be light weight unless you want to injure yourself because of the speed/time component, and other assorted bullshit they would throw together in sequences....

I've become a big fan of olympic lifting now. Done properly - not rushed.

My 2 cents : )

My 2 cents...

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    Look into yoga to improve some of those flexibility issues. If you deal with those I bet CF would be much more enjoyable
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

irishfoxy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark2741 View Post
    My pinched nerve is still acting up a bit....
    I know nothing about CrossFit, but from the discussions here I don't think I will ever try it...

But in regards to your pinched nerve, which you have mentioned twice here, have you ever considered getting assessed by a chiropractor? I suspect they will be able to do wonders for it without ever stuffing you into an MRI machine. Acupuncture might help too.
    28 years old, insurance broker
    starting weight 195 lbs (5'4")
    working on losing weight, getting active, and curing my GERD

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark2741 View Post
    FWIW....an update on how I fared after quitting CrossFit.

In a nutshell: I've thrived.

I began the Starting Strength-like program, but only twice per week most weeks. I also do some occasional walking on treadmill as well as a once a week basic yoga class (all of this at my local globo-gym). I also will pick a HIIT activity to do once per week to 10 days, and sometimes that's whatever WOD is prescribed at the little CrossFit area at my gym (they have classes, but I have no interest in it for now). But I just joined an adult indoor soccer league last week and that was one heck of a workout so I will just be doing that once per week as well.

In terms of strength gains - in the 2 months since quitting crossfit my strength gains have doubled. I can comfortably back squat 165 now with proper form. When I left crossfit I could only do about 90lbs with perfect form.

Most importantly to me - I have muscle definition now that I didn't have when I was killing myself doing crossfit. So, for me, both aesthetically and statistically, I've improved immensely since stopping crossfit. Why? Two reasons (IMO):

1. The constant chronic cardio (which is what crossfit is, let's be honest) and the stress that triggers is no longer an issue
    2. Instead of rushing through and worrying about points/score/time/competing with others/finishing before the next session starts, I can take my time and focus on form and focus on pure compound exercises that a guy like me needs: squats, chest presses, etc., not 'farmer carries' followed by kettlebells as fast as you can followed by an occasional olympic lift that had to be light weight unless you want to injure yourself because of the speed/time component, and other assorted bullshit they would throw together in sequences....

I've become a big fan of olympic lifting now. Done properly - not rushed.

My 2 cents : )

My 2 cents...

Great to hear! Cross fit is an athletic event. No need participating in an athletic event with high rates of injury if your not interested in competing in the cross fit games IMO. Training for strength and health via a program such as you have going now sounds much more sustainable and healthy to me.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Never involved in Crossfit but am aware of what it is all about. I have been on weights for 25 plus years. Recently dabbled in bodyweight movements. Downhill ski, hike, mountain bike, etc. Anything that put the hurt on the body as you suggest is not a good thing as others have mentioned, your body is telling you something, listen too it. Most of us have made that mistake at one time or another and have learned sometime less is more, especially when of good quality.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

hazmatt is offline Junior Member
    I'd recommend Ross Enamait's stuff at rosstraining.com . It basically teaches you how to create your own program.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    There are many great things about Crossfit, but I find the main problem with Crossfit is the lack of rest between high intenstity workouts. In addition you should periodize your workouts and their intensity. Taking a week completely off every 6 weeks is a good start. Look at Crossfit as something you should do for about 3 continuous months, then switch it up and do some yoga, some basic resistance training that focuses on strict form (no cheating - no kips!) or head to the track for some intervals. Do this for a few months, then head back to the Crossfit gym and you will kick ass.

A great book to get is Steve Ilg's book Total Body Transformation -

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Total Body Transformation: A 3-Month Personal Fitness Prescription For a Strong, Lean Body and a Calmer Mind.

Found it incredibly enlightening.
    Last edited by canuck416; 12-09-2012 at 10:10 PM.

AlyciaJ is offline Junior Member
    I'm so glad I stumbled on this thread. My 6 month Crossfit membership expired in December and I was on the fence about returning. I enjoyed the heavy lifting the most and I think I'll go back to my globo gym and work through Starting Strength now that I have the basics down.

I liked Crossfit, but not enough to keep making the financial sacrifices. Maybe when I make a little more money I'll rejoin.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast