Thread: Question about things I don't understand :( page

Chipmunk222 is offline Junior Member

Question about things I don't understand :(

I have always had a sensitive stomach, always as in forever, even when I was a little kid, and even the first time I tried to eat primal about 4 years ago (at 42), I couldn't eat greasy, meaty foods without feeling really ill with terrible indigestion for days on end. 4 years ago, I did not need to lose weight, but I was probably skinny fat, I looked good in clothes but I have a feeling I thought I looked better than what I really did, even at my ideal weight of 115. That being said, I have always been able to eat whatever I wanted and how much I wanted and never had a weight problem, never counted calories, watched what I ate or when I ate.... it didn't matter, I stayed at around 115-125 depending on the time of year. Holidays I guess I gained more because I moved around less and ate more, possibly.

Somewhere within the last 4 years, I have acquired a bigger appetite than I had before, one that was not satisfied by eating.... very scary that I could eat 24 hours a day and never get that FULL or that feeling that you didn't want any more to eat. I was out eating my husband and everyone else in my family, and could eat more within minutes of finishing a large meal. It did not seem to matter what the meal was, besides the fact that I rarely ate crap. I did eat breads, cakes and such, but I also ate huge amounts of lean meat, veggies fruits and salad. I do not add dressings or sauces to my food except for maybe some of my moms homemade gravy.

At this time of increased eating, I did gain some control of my appetite by eating more protein, I eat greek yogurt with protein powder sometimes 3 times a day and it helped.... now I am down to eating yogurt and protein 1 time a day and I am eating more meat, eggs and veggies. I have been fairly successful eating under 100 g of carbs a day. I no longer eat grain/bread/cereal etc.

Now, my question... the first is of course, why am I not losing weight, inches or my body changing in any way. I am eating the same amount of calories as I was before I cut out the non primal stuff... and I'm not gaining. I am fairly active during the day with my work, I figure I am moderately active. I have been eating primal for 3 weeks give or take a few days.

Next question is why after my stomach being so sensitive for all these years, not being able to eat bacon or burgers or anything greasy... that I can eat unlimited amounts of any greasy food now?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Also, how to get my weight loss started again, the only weight I have lost in this 2 year journey to get back to 115 lbs is when I finally went ballistic and dropped my calories to 1000 and started taking Liquid Amino drops. Yes, I realize that I can do this again, but I did not feel healthy and I was starving and hiding from my family gorging on food secretly because I felt like I was letting them down by cheating on my diet. I eat 1800 calories a day, less is not going to work well for me, I cannot function when I am hungry and my work is demanding and stressful, cutting calories may get me fired, literally.

Help?

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Cutting out the wheat and grains can help a lot with a sensitive stomach.

Try cutting calories a small amount and make gradual changes. you also don't mention what you do for exercise, slow movement, lifting and play.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Lifting lately is done at work, I lift varying weights of items, furniture, boxes etc for several hours sometimes all day. When I wasn't doing that I was lifting weights at home 3 days a week. Not much time for play, but I spend quite a bit of my day walking. The month of August I actually walked over 130 miles about 4 miles or more a day. I felt exhausted and have cut back during the month of September and since my job has been more strenuous this month, more lifting and walking for the last 3 weeks, I cut out lifting at home or supplemental walking until it slows back down at work. Despite any changes, walking, jogging for every third day in July, cutting calories, adding calories etc... nothing has proven to help me lose any weight. I have actually been within the same 3 pounds since June 1 and I have been logging everything I eat and I only drink unsweetened green and regular tea (homemade not bottled) or water, and maybe 1 coconut water a week (natural)

The actual change in my being able to eat greasy foods happened before I made the change to cut out grains... I only cut grains to see if that would spur some weight loss or at least flatten my belly.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chipmunk222 View Post
    Now, my question... the first is of course, why am I not losing weight, inches or my body changing in any way. I am eating the same amount of calories as I was before I cut out the non primal stuff... and I'm not gaining. I am fairly active during the day with my work, I figure I am moderately active. I have been eating primal for 3 weeks give or take a few days.
    Three weeks is not very long, and it depends on a lot of other things -- including, for example, getting enough sleep (8 to 10 hours in winter) and in sufficient darkness.

Next question is why after my stomach being so sensitive for all these years, not being able to eat bacon or burgers or anything greasy... that I can eat unlimited amounts of any greasy food now?
    There may have been a degree of gut-repair, owing to your stopping eating grains and legumes. Or perhaps you just got gradually used to the diet.

I eat 1800 calories a day, less is not going to work well for me, I cannot function when I am hungry and my work is demanding and stressful, cutting calories may get me fired, literally.
    I'm sure less wouldn't, and I wouldn't try it. Most health departments around the world advise 2000 upwards calories for women, so you're already probably eating less than you should unless you're very small and highly sedentary. That might explain the "unsatisfied" appetite you mention. When you lost weight on 1000 calories a day that was probably mostly muscle-mass. You don't want to lose that: but this is just what a scale won't tell you. I would stop worrying about "weight" as such and just eat good primal food and enough of it to feel satisfied. Perhaps keep an occasional eye on waist-circumference, but I wouldn't worry about it.

I notice you mention Greek yoghurt, protein powder, bacon, burgers, and "meat, eggs and veggies". There's no mention of seafood in there at all. That's not unusual with Paleo diets, unfortunately, as people's food logs often show. However, some have a view that this foodstuff is of vital importance -- see here, for example:

BRAIN GUT 6: EPI-PALEO Rx | Living an Optimized Life

In fact, a emphasis on fish probably goes a long way to explain why the Mediterranean Diet performs consistently well in studies:

Mediterranean diet - Health news - NHS Choices

I would just eat good food from land and sea -- and enough to feel satiated. Get some good sleep as well. Loss of fat (it's that you want not weight-loss as such) will probably follow, but I wouldn't worry about it.

DigiSurg is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Allergic to shellfish, but I do eat fish. It's not a main staple in my diet because I am the only one in the house that eats it, so it's hard to have a different meal than everyone else.

I try very hard to sleep, but my husband is a noisy sleeper and he keeps me awake, and sleeping in another room is not an option. I try to keep it DARK in my room, I even run an air cleaner to block out extra noise. It doesn't seem to matter though, when I wake up in the morning, no matter what time it is, I cannot go back to sleep, I will toss and turn for hours, and I can't take naps unless I'm really sick.
    Last edited by Chipmunk222; 10-09-2012 at 08:01 PM.