Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My cholesterol has gotten worst? page 2

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Because eating meat constantly will increase cholesterol levels. Go veggie for a week and eat fruit. Don't worry fruit will not get you fat!
    Last edited by Barefoot Gentile; 10-07-2012 at 12:30 PM.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acafer View Post
    Help,
    I have been eating Primal since March. I have lost 22 pounds. I am a female I am 5' 2" and weigh 110 and my body fat is 12%.
    All the meat I eat is 100% grass fed and finished I eat high quality wild salmon at least 2x a week and tons of vegetables. There is absolutely no grains in my diet. I do eat sweet potatoes on hard lifting days and cycling interval training days. I take a high quality omega 3 supplement. I look and feel great.

My question is why have my cholesterol lab values gotten worst? Here are the before Paleo and during Paleo results: I am a 36 years old female.
    BEFORE: AFTER
    Cholesterol 159. 229
    Triglycerides 65. 57
    HDL 59. 67
    Cholesterol/HDL 2.69. 3.42
    LDL calculated 87. 151
    LDL/HDL 1.47. 2.25

Any Helpful comments would be great
    Thanks,
    Amy
    Your cholesterol panel has changed, but by no means is it 'worse'. Do some reading (not just conventional medicine) and see what this is all about. Triglycerides are down. HDL up. Those are positive signs.

Congratulations on the weight loss and other success.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
    Because eating meat constantly will increase cholesterol levels. Go veggie for a week and eat fruit. Don't worry fruit will not get you fat!
    Why would any sane person worry about high cholestorol if HDL is up the Triglicerides are down and the LDL was calculated incorrectly, and the LDL they have is big and fluffly like they want?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    Your cholesterol panel has changed, but by no means is it 'worse'. Do some reading (not just conventional medicine) and see what this is all about. Triglycerides are down. HDL up. Those are positive signs.

Congratulations on the weight loss and other success.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Why would any sane person worry about high cholestorol if HDL is up the Triglicerides are down and the LDL was calculated incorrectly, and the LDL they have is big and fluffly like they want?
    Indeed. The OP's cholesterol is nothing to worry about.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Supposedly the large fluffy particles don't stick to the artery walls as easily as the small ones which .

Again, not a scientist, but that has been the consensus unless something has come up very recently that I hadn't heard.
    Peter Attia's series addresses this - but the section that addresses i directly the most is in here:

The straight dope on cholesterol

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    Peter Attia's series addresses this - but the section that addresses i directly the most is in here:

The straight dope on cholesterol
    So, from how I read, he's saying it's a matter of the oods being higher because the number of particles is higher? I might agree with that, but I still think the makeup of the particles (which is different for small, dense and large, bouyant) makes a difference. They're going to act differently.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    So, from how I read, he's saying it's a matter of the oods being higher because the number of particles is higher? I might agree with that, but I still think the makeup of the particles (which is different for small, dense and large, bouyant) makes a difference. They're going to act differently.
    The two tend to be correlated, since obviously if your LDL is small, then you will need more particles to carry all of your cholesterol.

I think that there's still value in aiming for large LDL, which in practical terms means shooting for low trigs.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

jpatti is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acafer View Post
    Help,
    BEFORE: AFTER
    Cholesterol 159. 229
    Triglycerides 65. 57
    HDL 59. 67
    Cholesterol/HDL 2.69. 3.42
    LDL calculated 87. 151
    LDL/HDL 1.47. 2.25
    Total was bad before, not enough cholesterol to maintain steroidogenesis and vitamin D synthesis. Looks better now.

Triglycerides are down and HDL up, so that's good too - in fact, they're pretty much ideal.

Others have already explained how calculated LDL is a useless value; that's the only "bad" one in the bunch, but it's meaningless calculated.

I've HAD a heart attack, and my goal is triglycerides < 60, HDL > 60, total 200-240 (LDL irrelevant cause they always calculate it and don't do particle counts, so I ignore it entirely).

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    LDL particle counts? How do you ask for that when asking for a cholesterol panel (is the actual name of the test a particle count?)? I am going to get one run when I go in this winter for a physical this winter. The highest my total cholesterol has ever been is 150; lowest 103. Triglycerides <60. HDL on the HIGH end of the reference range and calculated LDL outside of the reference range LOW. A .8 ratio. But, if that means nothing I'd love to have a meaningful assessment.

This would be my first Primal panel. I'm so curious. I've been eating so much more meat/fat this summer and fall. Can't wait to hear what the MD has to say about my diet!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12