Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Questions about STOCK! This stuff is the bomb :) page 2

  1. #11
    gopintos's Avatar
    gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,787
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    2. I do mine in a slow cooker set on low. 8 hours or so for a chicken and 12+ for beef.
    I do crock pot also, but I do my chicken for 24 hours. Right or wrong, I dont know, but I like to grind bones and veggies all up, so I like the bones softer. It is pretty thick. Love it! I dont use a whole chicken though, just the roasted bones that usually has some meat left also.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

    Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

  2. #12
    Dynamo's Avatar
    Dynamo is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    49
    Gopintos...interesting...

    When you say you like to grind up the bones and the veggies it sounds like you are keeping this in the broth/stock. I have read that we should discard the bones and veggies after we simmer the broth (for however long we choose).

    If you are grinding and keeping, how do you grind it? If you are grinding and discarding I assume you just pour it through a sieve? Sorry. I am such a visual learner and trying to create pictures in my head with words, is challenging for me I am actually not as stupid as I might sound. LOL.

  3. #13
    KWM's Avatar
    KWM
    KWM is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    47
    I fill the crock pot with water, which will evaporate to some degree even with the lid left on. "Congealing" in the fridge is A Very Good Thing -- that's protein! If it won't congeal, you've got too much water. Still edible, but diluted.
    __________________________________________
    He not busy bein' born is busy dyin' ~ Bob Dylan

  4. #14
    gopintos's Avatar
    gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo View Post
    Gopintos...interesting...

    When you say you like to grind up the bones and the veggies it sounds like you are keeping this in the broth/stock. I have read that we should discard the bones and veggies after we simmer the broth (for however long we choose).

    If you are grinding and keeping, how do you grind it? If you are grinding and discarding I assume you just pour it through a sieve? Sorry. I am such a visual learner and trying to create pictures in my head with words, is challenging for me I am actually not as stupid as I might sound. LOL.

    Yal see, I just hate the thought of throwing anything away If someone says, dont use them, then I will stop. But after 24 hours, they are very soft. I just run it all through my blender. I dont have alot of fat in it, but if I do, I let it set up and discard the chicken fat off the top. I havent done beef yet, but I know to keep the beef fat, discard the chicken fat.

    Most of it is ground up, so I dont strain it. Sometimes I might get a few little pieces at the very bottom of the cup or last bit in the container. If I can't chew it, I throw it out.

    I am a bone chewer I guess, doesnt bother me. Little growling doesnt hurt either DH though doesnt like the texture (I think due to the bones) so he won't hardly eat(drink) it. So I still have some homemade chicken stock in the freezer I will save for him. Same process but strained.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

    Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

  5. #15
    Credodisi's Avatar
    Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by KWM View Post

    I also add the broth to my pet food
    Hadn't thought of this.. great idea!

  6. #16
    honeybuns's Avatar
    honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,220
    One time I cooked bones for the dogs in the pressure cooker thinking it would toughen them up. Nope. They crumbled. Bones get really soft in the pressure cooker.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

  7. #17
    Dynamo's Avatar
    Dynamo is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    49
    Gopintos, thanks for sharing the details. I am thinking I would not like the texture either but it is an idea worth contemplating...

    Honeybuns! Just when I was about convinced to go with a crock pot, you post this!!! LOL! I would seriously prefer a pressure cooker (based on the time I have) but am concerned about "high rapid heat" damaging something. From what I am about now gathering is it is a matter of preference

    I so appreciate all the replies and ideas! Thank you!

  8. #18
    gopintos's Avatar
    gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo View Post
    Gopintos, thanks for sharing the details. I am thinking I would not like the texture either but it is an idea worth contemplating...
    yw. See, I like the texture, nice and thick, like I am eating something more substantial, rather than just drinking some broth. In fact, whether I use a bowl or a cup, I still use a spoon. Mental I know, but I think I am eating I guess
    65lbs gone and counting!!

    Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

  9. #19
    LauraSB's Avatar
    LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Delaware Valley
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo View Post
    When you crockers set the pot on low for 8 hours, do you keep the lid tight? When you go back to look at it in 8 hours has any water evaporated? (I am not a crocker so this would be my first time). Do you just put the broth in the fridge, still in the crock pot when you let it cool down? I am thinking that after it cools and I want to make the chicken soup I can just skim the fat and plug the unit back in, adding my veggies and chicken.
    With the lid on and after 12 hours, I see very little evaporation. When I used to do it on the stove, I was constantly adding water back. I strain the broth before putting it in the frig, so it's no longer in the crock pot. I used to skim the fat, but don't any more. I don't generally make a point to eat extra fat, but neither do I avoid it. From good meat, it adds a nice flavor to the broth, IMO.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

  10. #20
    gopintos's Avatar
    gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I used to skim the fat, but don't any more. I don't generally make a point to eat extra fat, but neither do I avoid it. From good meat, it adds a nice flavor to the broth, IMO.
    I get rid of the chicken fat because of this statement from Mark:

    Speaking of fat, I’d toss poultry fat. It’s a relatively high-PUFA animal fat, and a day of simmering has probably damaged it beyond repair. If you’re stewing bones with more saturated animal fat, though, you should absolutely save the fat layer.

    Read more: Cooking with Bones | Mark's Daily Apple
    65lbs gone and counting!!

    Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •