Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please help :( breastfeeding, type 2, sugars gone crazy, can't lose weight. page

Megan.Eng is offline Member

please help :( breastfeeding, type 2, sugars gone crazy, can't lose weight.

Primal Fuel
    I am at a lose for words. And I don't know what to do.

I was doing well, ~90% primal, found out I was pregnant (3/11), and since I'm type 2 diabetic, the high risk doctor said if I didn't follow their nutritionist's guidelines, they'd drop me from their care. I started eating grains again, ended up on insulin (definitely needed it during the pregnancy) and had a healthy baby who had no glucose issues. yay. All very very good.

Now, 10 months later, I cannot lose weight. Primally, SAD'ly, any way. Pretty common in breastfeeding moms-- saving up in times of famine, yada yada yada. It's good for the baby. I planned on doing baby-led weaning. It may be 5 more years from now. (The natural average weaning age of a mammal is half way to sexual maturity. In the case of humans, age 5-7.) I've even gained weight. My sugars slowly kept getting higher and higher.

Now, at random checks throughout the day, I'm constantly above 150. Even if I eat no carbs, only veggies meats and fats for the entire day, I'm constantly high. Nothing is working.

When I work out, in an attempt to burn some more calories, (lots of moving slowly- ~3 miles or so on the treadmill. Lifting the barbell with all kinds of weight on it, like a log lift, just bursts of max power occasionally.) but the more I work out, the higher my sugars get. It makes no sense!

I tested before I started working out, was at 147. Afterwards, I was at 245. During the hour I worked out, I drank ~40oz of water, and had a piece of beef jerky right before I tested.

I'm scared. I don't know what to do, that is *breastfeeding safe,* the doctor will want me on oral meds, if not insulin. I just want to be healthy.

Update p 2
    Last edited by Megan.Eng; 10-31-2012 at 12:26 AM.

I haven't eaten anything since before 7pm. I just checked, and my sugars were 161. Any help, starting point, research, or advice would be appreciated.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I have no idea per se.

If you are insulin dependent right now, I -- personally if it were me -- be ok with that.

Second to this, when I had my baby (just one), I did BLW. I did ultimately wean him at yr 3 because of my own needs, but what I noticed is that the 'breastfeeding weight' fell off around 14 months, when he was eating a fair amount of food with his nursing.

Thus, if I were you, I would go ahead and get the medications needed, not worry too much about weight loss right now, and just focus on getting into a healthy primal rhythm (sleep, movement, food), and then also breastfeeding and caring for the baby (obviously).

Then, in several months when the baby starts eating food (mine started at 8 months, but, as I said, wasn't really eating for nutrition until 14 months), then your body will adjust and you'll have a better sense of what is what and what you need to do.

You might discover that after this time, your body is behaving more "normally" and then you can loose weight and get off meds and all of that.

It's the best that I have to offer, and I'm sorry if it's not helpful.

You were very helpful. I feel less like a failure, contemplating insulin, knowing others trying to be primal might make that choice...

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    kellymom.com is the best resource for breastfeeding and may have something that will help or reassure you, but ultimately what Zoebird said in spades. The body has its reasons, I guess, nourish it and your baby the best you can and forget about the weight until you wean completely (which with mine was four and was DEFINITELY mother led as the little vampire boy would not self wean). BLW is great and we followed the instructions, but if I was in the room ours always wanted mummy milk first and food, maybe, second. Also, fantastic of you for sticking with it. Well done - you're doing the best thing.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Thank you I've poured over kellymom from start to finish. My friend is an IBCLC, and that was the first resource she gave me.

Seriously, you ladies rock. I was so stressed out today. I just didn't know what to do, or who to talk to.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yeah, sometimes it just helps to have random internet people around to reassure you.

i think that so much of the stress in those early days of being a mommy comes form the immense social pressure that we experience to have a bikini body 6-8 weeks after having a baby, and everything being all martha-steward perfect all the time.

it just isn't like that. and even if you expect to have things take their time, you don't expect it to take that much time. I was often told "9 months in, 9 months out!" in terms of how long it takes to loose the weight and get back to normal. But even that was *bust* in the sense that it was 14 months before things got anywhere near normal!

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    DS is is the process of self-weaning right now and turned 2 at the end of May. When he turned 1 I stopped offering and nursed 100% on demand. He's my second and I didn't lose all the weight from my first before getting pregnant again. I tried various things to lose the weight after DS turned 1, but my body resisted. Only after given up wheat, consciously eating enough, and 3 months did I start to lose. I began the Primal journey in Feb and am down neary 20lbs, under what I weighed prior to my first pregnancy! It's been slower than I'd like, but until a month ago DS was still nursing 2x/day. As he slowed down my body started to shed more quickly.

So just eat what you know is healthy - by primal standards. Give your body some time to adjust as well. Can you find a doctor that will work with you to manage your diabetes as needed while you change your diet? Take the insulin as needed but eat what you know you should. Your body should start to respond better with time.

lowcarbjas is offline Member
    I have t2 diabetes too and have a baby. My weight loss was slow at first, but I've recently started losing weight and my BG#s are getting much lower coz I'm really pushing myself at the gym BUT I'm not breastfeeding though - and I'm sure this makes weight loss even harder. I would just concentrate on eating well - and enough and on exercise when you can and the weight will eventually come off.

The beef jerky probs made your BG# higher after exercise.

Don't feel bad - it takes time for most women to lose the pregnancy weight
    Start Weight: 63.6kg/140lbs
    Goal Weight: 54kg/118lbs

The only reason I'm concerned about the weight is the more weight I carry, the harder it is to control my sugars. I weigh more now than I did at my highest weight while pregnant.

Dec. 2010- 260#, dxd with t2.
    March 2011- 190#, completely through eating primally.
    Nov. 2011- 200#, 190# immediately after baby was born.
    Now- 220# 60% primal.

I'm working on getting there again.

Lowcarbjas, I'm not sure how a half a playing card amount of protein upped my sugars. I ate at it the same time I tested, so working out and water increased my sugars by 100 points? If I could control my sugars, I wouldn't care about the weight. But for me, anything over 200# makes it hard to control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast