Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: please help :( breastfeeding, type 2, sugars gone crazy, can't lose weight. page 2

lowcarbjas is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    It depends on the beef jerky - a lot of them have sugar. If it has sugar then your BG will jump really high. Some t2s can tolerate more sugar/carbs than others. You'll have to keep testing to see which foods cause a spike and which don't. I think a lack of sleep and stress causes higher readings as well.

I would talk to a dr about a combo of medicine & lower carb than cw to help with BG#s and weight loss.
    Start Weight: 63.6kg/140lbs
    Goal Weight: 54kg/118lbs

jpatti is offline Member
    IMO, insulin is a better choice than metformin right now. Generally, I'd say try metformin first, but no idea what that does to your milk, so insulin is a lot safer.

I do not recommend anything but metformin for most T2s. I do not think ANY of the other meds are safe except Symlin. I'm still not sure about Byetta. I am cautious, argued against Actos and Avandia for years and doctors thought I was paranoid; turned out I was right. I do not like the mode-of-action of most diabetic drugs.

IMO, every T2 ought to know how to dose insulin ANYWAYS, bG goes up for lots of reasons besides diet/exercise, and it's better to control than not. Personally, I maintained decent bG just via low-carbing for almost 2 decades, BUT... a toothache, a cold, the flu... all sorts of things would make my numbers skyhigh. I think my overall health would've been better if I'd had insulin available the entire time and known how to use it properly.

Insulin is NOT a failure. They make you think it is by "threatening" you, for years they say if you're "not good", you will "have" to go on insulin. Insulin is just a tool. And btw, it doesn't hurt, it hurts less than testing your bG. People should not be afraid of it. If you need it to control bG, then you need it.

It will make it harder to lose weight overall, but that is a much lesser concern than out-of-control bG, which causes organ damage. IMO, better to keep your limbs and eyesight than worry about weight loss.

Insulin can also cause potassium loss, so make sure you eat lots of nonstarchy veggies and low-sugar fruits; I keep Lite Salt around for muscle cramps.

And your use may well be temporary as insulin resistance can be improved by a lot of things.

My OTHER advice... there is a LOT of evidence coming about now that gut bacteria are strongly implicated in both diabetes and obesity. I would highly recommend a good probiotic, where "good" means "has lots of colonizing units" of "lots of different bacteria". Article about why I think this is important is here: GAPS for T2 diabetes: why GAPS for T2

Also, either take epsom salt baths or use magensium oil topically (can make your own just by dissolving MgCl2 in water) as diabetics tend to have very low magensium, which can screw up cellular energetics.

Also, anything that supports the liver is good for you; insulin resistance begins in the liver before spreading to peripheral cells. I wouldn't suggest silymarin, as I have no idea what it does to breast milk, but anything known to be good for the liver, like eating liver itself, is recommended.

Megan.Eng is offline Member
    Okay, so I went to the doctor. They were surprised by my strictness in terms of glucose control. They wanted me 140 or less, 2 hours after eating. I like to keep myself 120 or less, an hour after eating. We did a full blood panel, and I'm waiting for my follow up appointment.

I think stress and crazy hormones are still really digging into me, and my glucose control. I'm taking some pretty heavy courseloads right now in school, plus the baby. I think that has a big part of it. But I'm fast tracking for nursing school, so I've got to just cope with the stress for the time being.

My IBCLC researched metformin extensively, and found that it is completely safe for nursing mothers. It's one of the oldest glucose control medicines we currently have, and there is tons of data in lactating women. She nursed her child for 6 years, and knows the risk involved with nursing and medicine-- if she says it's safe, I trust her completely.

My glucose control apparently was better than I thought. They held off on Rx'ing meds until after the panel comes back. So my craziness and fervor was probably brought on by stress and lack of sleep.

Speaking of, baby has started sleeping through a greater portion of the night, and therefore, so have I. My fastings have gone down to a more normal range with more sleep/less nighttime nursing. One of the two. Night nursings burn a lot of sugar, making me go low, making my body kick out more sugar, making me go high. Nurse again, and the cycle continues.

Good update today. I'll update again once the doctor gives me the results.

Misti is offline Member
    Megan, you are describing my situation nine years ago -- except that in addition to be a fat diabetic, I was also "geriatric" new Mamma. While I was pregnant, I was able to keep my sugar down under a 5.1 hbA1C -- but once I started breastfeeding I started to gain weight and had a terrible time controlling my blood sugar. I went on metforman and started taking insulin again for the duration. After my little guy weaned me (just after his third birthday) I started having even MORE trouble. Went to the doctor who increased my insulin --wash, rinse repeat. Three years later, I discovered PB. It took a while to get my blood sugar under control...in part because I was taking *too much* insulin for my body's needs, forcing my body to dump sugar just to keep me opn an even keel.

My advice, knowing what I know now? Tend to baby and your other needs, eat as primal as you can, and take whatever insulin or metformin you need to keep my blood sugar decent. (You're quite right about wanting to keep your sugar under 120 most of the time, but it may not be possible without meds and insulin for the moment. Do your best and realize that it's only a few years.)

Eating primal is best for you and baby, as is keeping your blood sugar uner control in whatever way you can. As you've noticed, lack of sleep is a big factor in the wild BG swings in the early days.

BTW, congratulations of keeping such excellent control during your pregnancy despite the doctors orders! That took a LOT of work!
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12