Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cocoa's Corner: Forum Version page 3

CocoaNut is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    It is so much harder to eat healthy on your own than with a partner. While my mother was away, I skipped lunch one day (which I'd actually been doing a few times because of naps) only to eat it later that night. Then I put off lunch today until about 2 PM and had an egg with cheese. Eggs are great, but one egg and nothing else for lunch is not.

Then, just before she made me aware that she was back and without dinner, I was about to cook a couple sausage patties for the entirety of my dinner (I even had the bag with the sausage balls out) when I found out she was back. With apples and pears.

I had one of each, which I'm now regretting a bit. And then we had chicken and veggie soup, which was tasty, but was VERY filling (which is why I'm regretting the fruit).
    See my progress at Cocoa's Corner.

Or check out my journal thread here.

If I accidently make you a brony or convert you to Taoism, well... you shouldn't have talked to me if you didn't want that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    Yes, I often wish I hadn't gotten him diagnosed. The legacy of years of behavioral therapy is still getting in the way. He still remains about 18 months behind his age appropriate peers, but I tell people that when he is 40 and he acts like he is 38 nobody will notice the difference. It gets us needed services/accomodations in school (more ADD/Aspergers as he matures), but I am considering pulling him from public education into a more hands-on learning environment. 6th grade this year.

Your parents did a great job. Sounds like you are doing a great job now, too.

I wish my son was obsessed with nutrition! He's obsessed with sugar. Any insights on how to switch focus? He is actually too thin with little muscle mass. We have to find a physical activity that he enjoys or the long term health effects will be huge. If we lived in a warm climate we could bicycle all year. I'm in Wisconsin (brrrrr)

I wish you continued progress with both you and your mom!
    I'm sure your son will catch up rather quickly.

I'm actually pretty prone to suggestion in regards to my obsessions. I got obsessed with baking and cooking in general because of Good Eats, I got obsessed with poker from watching the WSoP, I got obsessed with nutrition from an argument on another forum... but I don't think most autistics are like that.

As for turning him from the sugar... I'm not sure. The advice I'd give in most cases doesn't really fit on a primal forum (boiling broccoli, for example, is a terrible way to cook it, but primal eaters know that).

I guess the only thing of which I can think would be a slow transition, much like watering down fruit juice more and more every week until it's water. If there are any other foods in which he's interested, try incorporating them into dishes.

I'm sorry, but that's all of which I can think. I'm a pretty picky eater myself, which was one of my major challenges when going primal.

If I accidently make you a brony or convert you to Taoism, well... you shouldn't have talked to me if you didn't want that to happen.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoaNut View Post

As for turning him from the sugar... I'm not sure.

I guess the only thing of which I can think would be a slow transition, much like watering down fruit juice more and more every week until it's water. If there are any other foods in which he's interested, try incorporating them into dishes.

I'm sorry, but that's all of which I can think. I'm a pretty picky eater myself, which was one of my major challenges when going primal.
    Yes, I don't expect you to solve my problems! Like any human, what works for one might not work for another...

I gain a lot of insight just be reading what you and some others write. Although I consider myself pretty darned close to the spectrum myself, I still can't make the leap into his head and motivations a lot of the time.

Lucky for me, his picky eating doesn't rule out any one food group, just items within each group. I can get some proteins, some vegetables, some fruits in him. Overall, he eats better than the other 2 kids in the house for sure.

thanks!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

So I just had a salad (pretty late). I was getting out the olive oil and, for some reason, an idea struck me: Why not butter?

So I melted some butter, poured in a bit of apple cider vinegar, and...

Delicious. My goodness. I added a little too much salt (I used unsalted butter for the most part... homemade, in fact), but other than the saltiness, that salad was the best I've had in a while. I actually might give up on making some sort of primal ranch dressing just because I think it's so awesome.

I have now failed three times to make pizza.

Okay, let me explain a bit about SID. SID is known as Sensory Integration Disorder. It means that a stimulus or combination of stimuli affecting an individual's senses has a very bad affect on them. For example, I can't go outside (or even inside in well-lit places) without my sunglasses. I can't stand being touched, etc.

The worst for me on this diet, though, is taste. As I mentioned before, I have trouble with eggs and veggies. The only way I can eat eggs if I'm eating them with veggies is hard boiled. I don't know why I can, I just can.

I should point out that this is rather distinct from being a picky eater. For example, I don't like cucumbers, but I have no actual SID-based issues with them. Furthermore, I actually like eggs and I like veggies (well, it depends on the veggies) and, truth be told, I actually like the flavor a bit. I just can't eat them together.

Which has caused me quite a few issues, but that's aside from the point.

But I've decided to abandon the making of biscuit crust pizza. I'm actually pretty close, but it really isn't worth the effort, omega-6's, and price of almond flour when I have another alternative.

See, today, I made the pizza with my breakfast sausage. And, while the crust didn't pan out (I forgot the eggs. How could I forget the eggs?), it gave me an idea. It's basically a pizza bake without the crust. You have the sausage with the cheese, topped with that same pizza sauce (not the same one I made, but the new one I'll be making that doesn't have the pitfalls of the other)... and then I decided that it would be a good idea to top it with eggs. Four raw eggs that then bake in the oven.

I... hope my body responds well to that. I don't see how it would, but I came up with the idea and my mind had no objections (it usually would if there will be a SID-based issue that it can predict), so I think I'm good. If not, I can always take the eggs out of the equation.

Well, I forgot to take my blood pressure, and my sister needs to make out a check to a local farm that sells grass-fed ground beef at $4.50/lb for 40 lbs or more, which is a pretty good deal (yeah, yeah, I know all about ground beef, but at least this will come from a single cow). Otherwise, it costs about $2 more at the local store that sells it.

Also, I'm running out of pork for my sausage, which means I need to order it online. That's also something that involves my sister, and I forgot to talk to her about it.

I blame the keto-adaptation.

Well, after my failure to eat properly in terms of omega-3s over the weekend, I ended up with a deficiency, which (for me) means depression. It hit me a few nights ago (Tuesday night, in fact) and I didn't get to sleep until 5 AM. I've been slowly getting back on track the past couple days.

But my lack of sleep didn't stop me from making yogurt yesterday or starting on some beef broth today! I had been using pre-packaged beef broth before (I know, I'm a terrible person), but now... not.

Also, I'm much more caught up on all the prep, so I doubt I'll be having many more late nights of making broth or sausage or anything like that.

I do need to be more careful when making soup, though. I.. kind of burned the roux (well, since roux is made with flour, it wasn't exactly a roux, but it should have successfully thickened the soup) because I wasn't ready to add the liquid and the chicken stock was still frozen.

Oops.

It was still pretty good, though!
    Last edited by CocoaNut; 10-19-2012 at 05:19 PM.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoaNut View Post
    So I just had a salad (pretty late). I was getting out the olive oil and, for some reason, an idea struck me: Why not butter?

So I melted some butter, poured in a bit of apple cider vinegar, and...

Delicious. My goodness. I added a little too much salt (I used unsalted butter for the most part... homemade, in fact), but other than the saltiness, that salad was the best I've had in a while. I actually might give up on making some sort of primal ranch dressing just because I think it's so awesome.
    I make a warm vinaigrette with bacon grease (I keep a jar in the fridge), olive oil and apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar. It is good! Oh, and pink sea salt.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    I make a warm vinaigrette with bacon grease (I keep a jar in the fridge), olive oil and apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar. It is good! Oh, and pink sea salt.
    I would do that myself, but I have no bacon. All I have is beef bacon, which does not taste the same as real bacon. US Wellness Meats was out of their sugar-free, nitrate-free bacon when I ordered and nitrate-free bacon you find in the store isn't... well... it isn't exactly nitrate-free.

I just made some ranch dressing to put on my chicken strip salad tonight. I used yogurt instead of mayonnaise and creme fraiche instead of sour cream. It's rather tangy (also, I don't have any garlic powder, so... it's missing that particular flavor), but it's pretty good.

KotikBegemotik is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Where do you live that you have access to all this natural, good food. I'm sincerely jealous. I want homemade butter on my bre....wait, can't have that. Curse it! What am I supposed to put awesome butter on now?

I saw you posting on another newbie's journal and I thought I'd stop by, say that it was classy of you, and let you know that I'm looking forward to your posts.

Did that, now I'm off to explore the rest of the journals. This is my favorite part of the forums: meeting and even conversing with awesome health-minded people.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast