Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cocoa's Corner: Forum Version page 2

CocoaNut is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I finally proved that there was something to my name by making chocolate pancakes this morning.

I burned them a bit, though. Turns out that the cooking process needs to be a lot more gentle than I figured. They were still good, but I think I preferred the egg and sausage. I'll do better next time, I think.

Last night, I felt some pain in my gut. It could have been the fact that I was up late or it could be the low carb flu wanting to mess with me some more.

Oh, and I had another nap today and skipped lunch again. I'll be snacking on a couple hard boiled eggs, but these past two days have been rather light on veggies as compared to my goal. I think I should be fine, though. As long as I don't do it again.
    See my progress at Cocoa's Corner.

Or check out my journal thread here.

If I accidently make you a brony or convert you to Taoism, well... you shouldn't have talked to me if you didn't want that to happen.

It's not officially on Cocoa's Corner yet, but I had to share this somewhere:

I weighed myself today.

I lost five fat pounds this past week. I did lose 1.6 lbs of lean body mass, but I know that's because I haven't been getting enough protein. Like I said, I'm hoping to fix that soon. We'll see how it goes.

My mother had similar, but smaller, results (she lost a somewhat larger percentage of weight as lean body mass than I did, which worries me, but she still has quite a bit of lean body mass).

If I accidently make you a brony or convert you to Taoism, well... you shouldn't have talked to me if you didn't want that to happen.

My reaction speed test didn't go so well. I expected as much, but I was feeling fairly okay.

To be fair, my sleep schedule has also been bungled a bit, and I was quite tired, so that's another possible cause aside from the low carb flu (which seems to be near or at its end).

I received a message from the cholesterol test strip company. They'll be sending out some test strips for free, so that's pretty nifty. They're still not sure how it happened (they can't get past user error, and I understand why), but they're willing to send some strips anyway, which I think is pretty cool.

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Hi and Welcome!

Some random thoughts...

Sleep. It's really important to weight loss and health and happiness. I know it's hard to fit everything into a busy life but see if you can keep to a regular schedule, even if the amount of sleep isn't ideal, getting it at regular times is beneficial and your body will adapt to the schedule, given a chance. I had the same problem, up late, work or school in the morning, some nights not sleeping at all. But when I got serious I threw away my television set and now I go to bed at 9:30 and wake up at 5:30. It's been a good thing, since 1997.

The other thing that stands out is that in beginning eating Primally, lots of people try to replicate foods that they like with Primal substitutes, muffins, pizza, etc. using nut flours and other concoctions. I can't help feeling that this isn't the best approach. Not because they are poor substitutes as far as taste goes. But because people cling to types of foods that are not good for them instead of seeking out healthful foods.

I loved pizza. I ate it several times a week all of my life. I suppose I could make some sort of approximation that might fill the space where pizza lives in my list of yummy foods, but what I've tried has been pretty awful. It's better for me just not to eat it at all. Somewhere in the back of my mind when I see or smell pizza, I think "poison." It's the same with bread, muffins, cereal and pastry. It's taken time, but it's happening. If I were to try to make primal substitutes for these foods, I think it would be harder to let them go, and it would be easier to backslide into eating the non-Primal versions.

There's plenty of other things to eat, I do a lot of stir fry and it's easy to incorporate different favors that satisfy the desire for Italian or Mexican foods simply by adding spices to healthier base dishes.

Good luck on your plan. It's great that you're bringing your Mom along. I wish this had been a thing back when my Mom was alive.

David
    Last edited by DCarr10760; 10-13-2012 at 05:54 AM.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Hi, Cocoa, reading through this thread for the first time. Gotta agree with DCarr; you can drive yourself nuts (and gain weight!) trying to duplicate the texture and taste of pizza/bread/pancakes/whatever. Better to just start with healthy, portion-appropriate ingredients.

At the beginning you said you weren't eating eggs, but I guess that was just temporary and you're eating them now? Good decision. For taste, versatility, nutrition and value, it's hard to beat eggs.

Anyway, my suggestion is to totally blow off pancakes and go with a nice pumpkin souffle. I don't measure, but I throw the following into a small mixing bowl: Couple of eggs, couple of giant blobs of canned pumpkin, handful of shredded coconut and a big blob of half-n-half. (I also use Stevia for sweetener; you can use sweetener of choice or none at all.) Oh, and some cinnamon. Then I grease up a microwave-safe bowl, pour in the mixture, nuke it for a minute, mix it, nuke it for another minute. If you're anti-microwave, this could be cooked in some alternate manner.

Sorry for causing the confusion. I meant that I wouldn't be using grass-fed dairy or eggs just yet. I want to, believe me, but... well, I'll not go into it.

You have to understand, I'm not trying to replicate the taste or texture of foods I ate previously. For example, the rare times I did eat pancakes, they were apple-cinnamon-oatmeal wheatcakes and they tasted far different than the pancakes I make these days (I suppose the texture is similar, but I prefer the crepes anyway, even with a very different texture than with what I'm familiar). Pizza is a similar issue (I never had a biscuit pizza crust before two weeks ago, nor did I ever add veggies to my pizza). The point is that I'm not trying to replicate the taste or texture of foods I've eaten previously. I assure you that I have no desire to eat any sort of bread products again. I guess I just never got addicted to gluten.

As to the sleep issue, I am perfectly aware of it. In fact, I once tried the Uberman polyphasic sleep cycle. While my mind was perfectly functional at that time, I likely did permanent damage to my shoulders. The truth is that I've found that I have plenty of time in the day for things when I stick to my schedule, but I've been off-schedule for a while now. If I stuck to my schedule and things were less hectic (IE having to make chicken stock that night or have nothing for dinner the next, and I could not make it previously because I lacked the supplies), then I would most certainly get enough sleep and enough time in the day to do all that I want.

The good news is that I went to bed at about 1 AM yesterday (for now, my schedule says to go to bed at 12 AM).

Thank you for your thoughts and well-wishes. I do appreciate them.

Updating the journal

My mother is out of town for the next day and a half, which means that she'll probably not be able to eat very well for the next 3-4 meals (lunch today through breakfast, perhaps lunch, and hopefully not dinner tomorrow). I coached her about how to order food at a restaurant, but I think we all know that that's not ideal in the first place. Aside from that, my mother does not have the best memory (you should have seen her baselines for the memory test... actually, I'll be putting those on my Tumblr next week), nor is she too good at extra requests (such as that something be cooked in real butter as opposed to oil). Still, I think she should do fairly well. Much better than she would have a few weeks ago, anyway.

My first week measurements are uploaded and ready to go. You can download my current progress (.xls files packed in a .zip file) here, if you're so inclined and don't wish to visit my blog to do so.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    You are autistic? My baby (11) has an Autism diagnosis. I like you already.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    You are autistic? My baby (11) has an Autism diagnosis. I like you already.
    My parents decided to forego an official diagnosis (actually, my dad did, but he managed to convince my mom), and I think it was that that had the greatest impact on my life. Without the constant stream of everyone and everything telling me that this innate part of my being was wrong, I could appreciate myself for who I was... for who I am. If I wasn't autistic, I never would have become obsessed with nutrition, I wouldn't do as well with math, I'd probably be a very poor writer, I wouldn't be so good at helping people out when they're feeling down or when they need advice.

The bottom line is that it's brought so much to my life, and instead of loving it and living as I naturally am, a diagnosis probably would have meant that I put all the effort that went into doing the things that I love into learning the social norms or resisting those obsessions that have taught me so much or forcing myself to eat eggs and veggies together because how dare I have SID.

But you know what? I'm fine with not knowing the social norms. I'm fine with getting obsessive about things, and I'm certainly fine with avoiding eggs (that aren't hard boiled... I have no idea how I'm okay with this) with veggies.

Don't get me wrong. There are advantages to being neurotypical and I would not try to force a neurotypical to become autistic even if they could. All I'm saying is that this is my natural state of being and I've gained so much more by going along with it, rather than fighting it.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoaNut View Post
    My parents decided to forego an official diagnosis (actually, my dad did, but he managed to convince my mom), and I think it was that that had the greatest impact on my life. Without the constant stream of everyone and everything telling me that this innate part of my being was wrong, I could appreciate myself for who I was... for who I am. If I wasn't autistic, I never would have become obsessed with nutrition, I wouldn't do as well with math, I'd probably be a very poor writer, I wouldn't be so good at helping people out when they're feeling down or when they need advice.

The bottom line is that it's brought so much to my life, and instead of loving it and living as I naturally am, a diagnosis probably would have meant that I put all the effort that went into doing the things that I love into learning the social norms or resisting those obsessions that have taught me so much or forcing myself to eat eggs and veggies together because how dare I have SID.

But you know what? I'm fine with not knowing the social norms. I'm fine with getting obsessive about things, and I'm certainly fine with avoiding eggs (that aren't hard boiled... I have no idea how I'm okay with this) with veggies.

Don't get me wrong. There are advantages to being neurotypical and I would not try to force a neurotypical to become autistic even if they could. All I'm saying is that this is my natural state of being and I've gained so much more by going along with it, rather than fighting it.
    Yes, I often wish I hadn't gotten him diagnosed. The legacy of years of behavioral therapy is still getting in the way. He still remains about 18 months behind his age appropriate peers, but I tell people that when he is 40 and he acts like he is 38 nobody will notice the difference. It gets us needed services/accomodations in school (more ADD/Aspergers as he matures), but I am considering pulling him from public education into a more hands-on learning environment. 6th grade this year.

Your parents did a great job. Sounds like you are doing a great job now, too.

I wish my son was obsessed with nutrition! He's obsessed with sugar. Any insights on how to switch focus? He is actually too thin with little muscle mass. We have to find a physical activity that he enjoys or the long term health effects will be huge. If we lived in a warm climate we could bicycle all year. I'm in Wisconsin (brrrrr)

I wish you continued progress with both you and your mom!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast