Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Oil - How Much Absorbed and Consumed? page

Mlieb737 is offline Junior Member

Cooking Oil - How Much Absorbed and Consumed?

Primal Fuel
    Hello Everyone,

I have been lurking on the forums and the site for quite a while, but this is the first time I have been unable to find the answer I am looking for. So first of all let me thank all of you for all the great information and discussion you provide - it has helped me tremendously as I transitioned to Primal over the past two months.

Now on to my question - I am wondering how much cooking oil ends up going into your body after using it to cook. For instance, I pan seared some pork chops this evening in coconut oil, along with some brussel sprouts. I didn't pour any of the excess oil onto the dish afterwards, so I think that the only coconut oil I ate was the amount that went into the meat and was on the outside. Does anyone have an estimate of what that usually amounts too?

I have been tracking my food intake on FitDay for the past week or so and never knew how to account for things like this. I am trying to make sure I am getting enough fat (cooking in coconut oil/pastured butter) but have no idea how much I end up consuming.

Sorry for the long post - I really appreciate any insight you all have on this topic. Thanks!

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Only way to figure that is to measure the oil left in the pan. Subtract that from the oil you poured into the pan.

Rad
    Rad is offline Junior Member
    Personally I doubt the extra teaspoon or so over the course of a day would be worth tracking, but I'm not much of a counter in general!

Look at how much is left in the pan and compare it to how much you added in the first place maybe?

Thanks for your guys responses. I guess I am not really looking for a way to calculate this (your right, its probably negligible) but trying to grasp how much cooking oil really effects what we eat. After all, if it was completely irrelevant, it wouldn't matter what we cooked in. There must be some other way to think about it

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    Don't know if this will help you, but generally the hotter the oil, the less the food absorbs. Very hot oil will cause liquids in the food to boil out, thus keeping oil from penetrating the food.

Rad
    Rad is offline Junior Member
    It'd probably depend on the food really.
    Something fatty like bacon or pork belly exudes enough fat that it's probably not picking up much in the way of cooking oil. I'd assume generally dense non-porous things would be the same (smooth slabs of meat, hard veggies like carrots, etc).

Something with more surface area would pick up more (e.g. piece of wrinkly kale versus a smooth slice of onion), and the smaller the pieces the more oil it'd get coated in.

Similarly porous things would absorb more. I think I've cooked mushrooms in as little as a few drops of oil and as much as half a stick of butter... Eggplant would soak it up as well.

So it'd really depend on what you were cooking as well!

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    If you feel you're not getting enough, you can convert meat drippings, butter, etc. into a cream sauce. Just heat it up with some wine, heavy cream, parmesan, and pepper.

Thanks for the tips!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    uhmmm.... just pour the coconut oil over the pork when your done... more fat and youll know how much then... by the way, i have never seen anything absorb fat like scrambled eggs- easy way to get your fat up

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    I'm with MalPaz, don't let that healthy fat get away from you! Eggs sure are a good way to soak it up. I also like to sautee kale and chopped mushrooms in the leftover grease. Another thing you can do is slice up your meat into tiny pieces; it holds more oil that way. I do everything I can to get all the fat into my body, short of licking the skillet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast