Normally, I'm a primal recipe thief, stealing most of the things I cook from a vast array of Primal/Paleo blogs. This morning I attempted Saoirse's manioc flour tortilla recipe, and while they had good flavor, my husband and I couldn't get past the gummy texture that inevitably results in tapioca flour baked goods, and they ended up going into the trash (sadly!). This evening I was cooking some chicken tikka masala and really wanted something naan-like to sop up the delicious sauce. I considered the gummy texture dilemma, and it occurred to me that a bit of coconut flour might solve the problem. And . . . it did! It was so successful that I had to share, and I never post! These ended up turning out better than I could have expected, and I would imagine that without the garlic (and perhaps some cinnamon), they would make a pretty rocking pancake for those 20 percent weekend mornings.

*note* Tapioca starch, while gluten free, is still a starch and can spike blood sugar, etc. Though Mark lists it as a safer starch, I wouldn't consume it very often, and I reserve it for part of my 20 percent or for those very rare occasions when, like tonight, I just crave something bread-y.

Tapioca Starch Naan (makes about 3 decent sized naans)

3/4 cup tapioca starch (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (I used Trader Joe's)
1 TBSP (yes, TABLESPOON) of baking powder
1 TBSP of coconut flour (NOT OPTIONAL)
1/4 cup full fat Greek yogurt (I used Fage)
2 eggs
1 TBSP Olive Oil or melted coconut oil/butter
1 TSP minced garlic
salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste

*Mix all of the dry ingredients together, then add the wet ingredients. Mix until there are no lumps. The batter will be thicker than pancake batter but not like a bread dough. Let sit in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. The dough will become fluffy like a souffle at this point. Heat a pan on high, melt a little butter, and spoon about 1/3 of the mixture onto the hot pan. Spread out the mixture as best as you can to about 1/2 inch thickness and cook for a couple of minutes on one side. The bottom should brown and crisp up quite a bit. Then, flip over and cook for a couple of more minutes. I preferred mine really crispy on the outside, but you can remove it earlier if you want it softer.

Beautiful, no? 3739_556579719445_1670485777_n.jpg