Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uhm....NAAN! page

vdm86 is offline Junior Member

Uhm....NAAN!

Shop Now
    Normally, I'm a primal recipe thief, stealing most of the things I cook from a vast array of Primal/Paleo blogs. This morning I attempted Saoirse's manioc flour tortilla recipe, and while they had good flavor, my husband and I couldn't get past the gummy texture that inevitably results in tapioca flour baked goods, and they ended up going into the trash (sadly!). This evening I was cooking some chicken tikka masala and really wanted something naan-like to sop up the delicious sauce. I considered the gummy texture dilemma, and it occurred to me that a bit of coconut flour might solve the problem. And . . . it did! It was so successful that I had to share, and I never post! These ended up turning out better than I could have expected, and I would imagine that without the garlic (and perhaps some cinnamon), they would make a pretty rocking pancake for those 20 percent weekend mornings.

*note* Tapioca starch, while gluten free, is still a starch and can spike blood sugar, etc. Though Mark lists it as a safer starch, I wouldn't consume it very often, and I reserve it for part of my 20 percent or for those very rare occasions when, like tonight, I just crave something bread-y.

Tapioca Starch Naan (makes about 3 decent sized naans)

3/4 cup tapioca starch (I used Bob's Red Mill)
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (I used Trader Joe's)
    1 TBSP (yes, TABLESPOON) of baking powder
    1 TBSP of coconut flour (NOT OPTIONAL)
    1/4 cup full fat Greek yogurt (I used Fage)
    2 eggs
    1 TBSP Olive Oil or melted coconut oil/butter
    1 TSP minced garlic
    salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste

*Mix all of the dry ingredients together, then add the wet ingredients. Mix until there are no lumps. The batter will be thicker than pancake batter but not like a bread dough. Let sit in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. The dough will become fluffy like a souffle at this point. Heat a pan on high, melt a little butter, and spoon about 1/3 of the mixture onto the hot pan. Spread out the mixture as best as you can to about 1/2 inch thickness and cook for a couple of minutes on one side. The bottom should brown and crisp up quite a bit. Then, flip over and cook for a couple of more minutes. I preferred mine really crispy on the outside, but you can remove it earlier if you want it softer.

Beautiful, no? 3739_556579719445_1670485777_n.jpg

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Can you actually fold it or does it crumble?
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

You can definitely fold it. It's pretty pliable and not crumbly at all. The fact that it's almost entirely tapioca starch helps keep it from crumbling or getting hard like a lot of stuff with coconut flour.
    Last edited by vdm86; 10-06-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm, if this works you're my hero. Naan/pita/flat bread is my wheat weakness.....and doughnuts...I know terrible.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

sigzephyr is offline Senior Member
    We just tried these. Excellent. Thanks for the great recipe. We will definitely be having them again next time i cook curry.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Hmmm, if this works you're my hero. Naan/pita/flat bread is my wheat weakness.....and doughnuts...I know terrible.
    I hope it works for you! As for donuts . . . I'm afraid I'm not a miracle worker.

Quote Originally Posted by sigzephyr View Post
    We just tried these. Excellent. Thanks for the great recipe. We will definitely be having them again next time i cook curry.
    Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed them! Thanks for letting me know!

pjgh is online now Senior Member
    These sound a lot like flat Brazilian cheese breads. What a fantastic idea! Definitely something I'll do with my next curry.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    These were super awesome, however I must warn anyone who tries it next--this stuff is dangerous. I forgot to warn my husband about how filling tapioca flour is, he said "it's too late, I'm like Pippin and the lembas bread!".

pjgh is online now Senior Member
    How true that is, meeshar

I make up Primal Soairse's tortilla recipe every now and again, and even those thin almost crepe tortillas are filling. I can imagine these are filling. Mind you, so are Naan with wheat flour. The key is to lather it in butter or ghee and loads of garlic.

Damn it! I need to make up a curry and try these out.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast