Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legumes, Grains and Complete Proteins page

djtetsu is offline Junior Member

Legumes, Grains and Complete Proteins

Shop Now
    Hello everyone,

I have been on the Paleo diet for about 3 weeks and lost inches off my waist, and am loving the results.

But I came across the whole topic of hair loss with a low carb diet and I got pretty freightened. Thank good I have only been doing it for 3 or so weeks and I am fine so far..

Any type of sudden dieting can lead to it, but low carb does seem to increase your chances versus a low fat one, according to a study (20% vs 40%). Sometimes the hair grows back, and sometimes they don't.

At any rate, I just wanted to share that, for me, I don't think eleminating entire food groups dogmatically is a good thing. I do believe that it is better to use fat for fuel instead of carb, but staying constantly on fat-burning mode indefinitely?? I'm not so sure. Good thing Paleo does allow some carbs.

So for those starting a low carb diet, the common suggestion is to start off slowly, so you don't shock your system.

How to do it:

And my realization here was that if you want to bring in carbs (legumes and grains, etc), do so in combinations where they form complete proteins. This might be common knowledge but for me it was big.

Peanut butter and whole grain bread makes a complete protein combination as well as (brown) rice and beans.

So those are some things I'll eat at the middle of the day. Peanuts and pinto beans are just packed with nutrients and even better when they are assisted to become complete proteins. And those two factors, I think, will aid in turning down hunger.

Google complete proteins and you'll get a whole bunch of possibilites.

Anyway, thought it was a good way to come full circle for me.

Cheers

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    I'm not opposed to beans and rice, but bread and peanut butter is a toxic combination.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    It IS possible to be 100% Primal/Paleo and NOT Low Carb... and NEVER eat a legume or grain.

Just sayn...

There are all of these things called roots, and tubers. Fruits too... Amazing!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    ...and to continue Cori's thought, paleo/primal is not about being low carb as a rule.
    Decreasing carbs is an effective way to lose weight - IF you have any to lose, but it's not the rule.

I have eating fairly low carb for 8 months now, and haven't lost any hair.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    so if you don't want to eliminate "food" groups, what are you doing here? have fun!
    Last edited by WeldingHank; 10-06-2012 at 03:46 PM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Post #1 and you think you know enough to advise us on the Primal Blueprint?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djtetsu View Post
    Any type of sudden dieting can lead to it, but low carb does seem to increase your chances versus a low fat one, according to a study (20% vs 40%). Sometimes the hair grows back, and sometimes they don't.
    Please link this study. Would love to see the scientific data.

Quote Originally Posted by djtetsu View Post
    At any rate, I just wanted to share that, for me, I don't think eleminating entire food groups dogmatically is a good thing.
    Explain what is dogmatic about eliminating grains and legumes based on available knowledge?

Anyhow nice to see you've come full circle in three weeks . You know I've heard after your hair falls out on low carb you then become immortal....so you probably shoulda just stuck with it a bit longer . That doesn't happen until week four though.

Shari Bambino is offline Junior Member
    You want advise on how to properly combine legumes and grains? From this group? Fascinating.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast