Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Legumes, Grains and Complete Proteins page 3

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by djtetsu View Post
    Annals of Internal Medicine | Comparison of Weight Loss at 2 Years on a Low-Carbohydrate Versus Low-Fat Diet

is where the article is located, but it only gives a summary. You have to pay to get the full article and get to the segment in question.

But really, just google 'hair loss' and 'paleo' and you'll have plenty of people with this condition:

https://www.google.com/search?q=paleo+diet+hair+loss

Also, I'm not against Paleo, for the most part I do believe we should be using fat as our main source of fuel. We don't have any ways to mark that as 80% of the importance of Paleo dieting (along with eating whole foods) and cutting out legumes completely is only of 10% significance (or not). Each individual will be different. Japanese live the longest and they eat rice all day.

Cheers.
    Thank you for the link... the findings show "The low-carbohydrate group had some more favorable changes in risks factors for heart disease at year 2 compared with the low-fat diet group"...and your right they mention nothing about hair, so I cant comment on it....if you have any evidence as to the part of the study that indicates hair loss I guess that could also be interesting to those looking to keep hair but increase their risk of heart disease??? Yes I can google that and get a bunch of harebrained (hahah) bloggs, but that isn't science. Hey stick to your own dogma if you like.

Cheers.

Ah, so now you would like to move your peanut butter and bread stance to a Japanese eat rice stance? Right? You started with a "hey anything that produces complete proteins" to a very "well asians eat rice!" stance. Please let me know your actual stance and reasoning before we proceed....just so we are all on the same page.

Perhaps you are just as naive as your opening question makes you out to be. If so, and you are actually not a troll then I sincerely apologize. Fact is you are just horribly incorrect in much of your assumptions. That is why you can not actually competently answer any of the questions put to you. There is no good answers to back up your stance. Sorry. Good news is you are in a place that can help you. Just stick around, read the science and come to your own conclusions.

djtetsu is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Perhaps you are just as naive as your opening question makes you out to be. If so, and you are actually not a troll then I sincerely apologize. Fact is you are just horribly incorrect in much of your assumptions. That is why you can not actually competently answer any of the questions put to you. There is no good answers to back up your stance. Sorry. Good news is you are in a place that can help you. Just stick around, read the science and come to your own conclusions.
    Ok, assuming that I am naive with my assumptions please persuade me in the other direction. I see in a possibility of being able to take in nutrition from a wider variety of Natural food sources and in moderation and doing so strategy (so they you get complete proteins) as a tool for better health. The foods I mentioned, pinto beans and peanuts have very vey long list of health benfits and I want to bring forth the question, how much is the complete avoidance of entire food groups of grains and legumes part of the success of the paleo diet plan (which I am a supporter for). I 'm not saying plunge in, let's have a better look. As I've mentioned before, alcohol is toxic, yet a cup or two a day improves health. So.. could there be anything that we are missing when we close our minds to these natural resources? And yes taking grains as an example, why do Japanese live the longest when they eat it all day? I believe in healthy debates and I wasn't getting the sense that people here are open for them.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    How Do Asians Eat So Much Rice and Not Gain Weight? | Mark's Daily Apple

You're right in that there are many different ways of being healthy, and this is but one of them. However, you would not go to a vegan forum and advocate eating meat and yet here you are trying to go against paleo beliefs on a mostly paleo drum. On your first post. That, my friend, just makes you a troll, however well-meaning you may feel.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

David Tromholt is offline Junior Member
    It's important to apply critical thinking whenever you are reviewing nutrition headlines.

There are a plethora of interest organizations out there who are involved with how scientific data is presented in the media, which is why you should always be skeptical and try to locate the original source of various health articles out there.

What you will find out most of the time, is that the researchers, doctors and journalists make conclusions based on observation studies, not clinical trials.
    More often than not, these conclusions are made by selectively hand picking the data from a study that supports the original hypothesis, e.g. "eating fat makes you fat". You can pretty much "prove" anything you want with observational studies, so they are pretty much pointless as far as concluding anything.

Real scientists don't do this, they always question their results, and replicate their studies before jumping to conclusions.

Unfortunately most studies out there are observational, and often the researchers behind it are sponsored by the drug or food industry, you go figure.

Watch Tom Naughton's documentary "Fat Head" and his speech "Science For Smart People" to get a better insight in how all this misleading data is created, and how relatively easy it is to pick it apart, if you really want to get to the bottom of it.

jpatti is offline Member
    I low-carbed for 2 decades due to diabetes and have very thick, long, curly hair still.

I did wind up with thyroid issues, but it was reverse T3, and less than a year of T3-only meds fixed it. Nothing wrong with my thyroid gland itself. I've been off thyroid meds for a long time now, couple years at least. And yes, low-carb can cause that, but so can elevated bG, so I was probably gonna have that problem regardless.

Those who do lose hair with thyroid issues generally are also low-iron. The reason it is not fixed is the same as the reason those same folks never get their thyroid meds right. T3 is required to hold on to iron and iron is required for T3 to get into the cells. It takes crazy amounts of iron to raise serum levels enough for T3 to work. However, if both the iron is raised and thyroid meds optimized, the hair grows back.

I recently started GAPS and on the very introductory phase of the diet, you are literally only allowed boiled meat, boiled veggies (no potatoes) and broth. I was "aiming" for 100 g carb per day (which is not particularly low carb), and didn't always hit that, but always was > 70 grams. I found it relatively easy to stay out of ketosis with just a heavy focus on my carbier veggie choices: lots of squash, onions, carrots and peas.

That is without fruit, without potatoes and without dairy. With those additions, it's dead easy to not be low carb if you don't want to.

No need for grains or legumes, unless you want them for some reason, but they're not necessary to avoid low carb.

And they're certainly not a good source of protein as they don't come with healthy fats; good protein comes from pastured eggs, meat, poultry, fish and full-fat, preferably raw, dairy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123