Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Legumes, Grains and Complete Proteins page 2

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    To the OP how is what you are eating Primal?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

avelin is offline Senior Member
    To the OP:

You do know that the basis of paleo/primal is that some foods (such as grains and legumes) are newly introduced, have poisonous reactions within our bodies and cause multiple health problems, right? And that paleo/primal might be lower carb but that with eating all those fruits and veggies, and perhaps some sweet potatoes, you can get your diet to be fairly high in carbs if you want?

You do also realise that changing what you are doing based on a 'report' after only three weeks eating this way may be seen as foolish, right?

I'd suggest that you read gnolls excellent analysis of reported scientific testing at http://www.gnolls.org/2893/always-be...ally-tells-us/ and if you still think the report has any validity that you post a link to it here. (Yeah it's about a red meat article but it's relevant to most stuff you read)

In the meantime I'd strongly suggest you drop your grains and legumes because they aren't doing you any good at all, and perhaps spend a little more time learning about this way of eating (aka what we evolved eating) and looking skeptically at scientific report from both sides of the fence - and I don't mean summaries in the popular press.
    Last edited by avelin; 10-06-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: link
    Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    For some reason, and I'm not sure why, but this reminds me of Knifegill's :

"Well, I went to mount Olympus and duct taped two unicorns together to double their magic, and rode their magic bodies for forty days and forty nights. When I got off, I looked like this. It's great!"
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to add here that I know a lot of people don't believe that wheat and gluten cause REAL problems for a significant number of people... and no, I don't mean JUST Celiac.

Probably even a lot of people in the Paleo/Primal community don't really 100% know that this piece of information is true...
    Hell, I was one of those people until very recently..
    Until I realized that I was/AM one of those people!

My body was having serious, significant, autoimmune response to eating the foods that I have removed from my diet by eating Primal... read: grains and legumes.
    And that is no joke.

Doubt if you like... it doesn't hurt me.
    But eating wheat/gluten etc DOES.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    do i smell a troll? My hair fell out after about 6 months on a low-fat-raw-vegan diet. No problem whatsoever since transitioning to primal.

djtetsu is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Please link this study. Would love to see the scientific data.
    Low Carb Diets May Accelerate Hair Loss

However, the study, which was published in the August 3, 2010 issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine, also found that those following the low-carb diet reported more side effects, including hair loss, bad breath and constipation. After six months, 45% of the low-carb group reported hair loss, compared to only 21% of the low-fat group.

Kinda dissappointed in these responses. I don't see any open mindedness of any sort.

It was interesting to hear peanut butter and whole wheat bread be labelled as toxic. Alcohol is toxic, yet 1 or 2 cups a day improves health.. There is something said about not eating them all day, all things in moderation.

There are so many nutrition in foods I've mentioned but I should've known better than to bring up Christ at an atheist meeting.

To each their own..

And with that, I say good bye!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djtetsu View Post
    And we say good riddance.

In regards to the open-mindedness comment, most of us, we've already done the grain and legume thing and decided it's not for us. We were open minded about them at one time, and then decided that we didn't like the results that occurred when we ate them so we ditched them.

There's a reason we did so, we didn't just decide one day "I think I'll ditch grains for the hell of it." That said, for most of us, there will be no turning back. Been there, gave 'em a chance, didn't work out.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Oh My Fucking God from the first paragraph of the study

A two-year study comparing the effect of low-carbohydrate versus low-fat diets in a group of obese adults has found that while both were equally effective at helping participants lose weight, the low-carbohydrate diet was more effective at increasing “good” HDL cholesterol and lowering diastolic blood pressure.

Is the OP a fucking moron....you are worried about hairloss over your over all health....get the fuck out of here troll.

Not to mention how are we missing nutrients by cutting nutrient deficient grains and legumes?

Not to mention the centre in question wants to sell you their drugs

Not to mention damn I hate to swear.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 10-06-2012 at 09:49 PM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djtetsu View Post
    Low Carb Diets May Accelerate Hair Loss

However, the study, which was published in the August 3, 2010 issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine, also found that those following the low-carb diet reported more side effects, including hair loss, bad breath and constipation. After six months, 45% of the low-carb group reported hair loss, compared to only 21% of the low-fat group.

Kinda dissappointed in these responses. I don't see any open mindedness of any sort.

It was interesting to hear peanut butter and whole wheat bread be labelled as toxic. Alcohol is toxic, yet 1 or 2 cups a day improves health.. There is something said about not eating them all day, all things in moderation.

There are so many nutrition in foods I've mentioned but I should've known better than to bring up Christ at an atheist meeting.

To each their own..

Oh, excuse us for asking for scientific or even logical reasoning for your assumptions. Did not understand that you required us to unabashedly agree with you with or without any evidence of your stance. You see...the problem is most of us here are actually well read. We recognize bull sh_t at a glance. Yours was especially stanky . Please either leave now or not.....I'm happy to extend your charade as long as you are. You linked an article....not a scientific piece of literature. Please link the actual 2010 published study for further note. Then please read and archive each article in the Primal Blueprint and this page Published Research | The Paleo Diet. For ALL THAT IS HOLY DO NOT BASE YOUR ASSUMPTIONS ON ONE ARTICLE that you cant even find the original data for.

djtetsu is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Annals of Internal Medicine | Comparison of Weight Loss at 2 Years on a Low-Carbohydrate Versus Low-Fat Diet

is where the article is located, but it only gives a summary. You have to pay to get the full article and get to the segment in question.

But really, just google 'hair loss' and 'paleo' and you'll have plenty of people with this condition:

https://www.google.com/search?q=paleo+diet+hair+loss

Also, I'm not against Paleo, for the most part I do believe we should be using fat as our main source of fuel. We don't have any ways to mark that as 80% of the importance of Paleo dieting (along with eating whole foods) and cutting out legumes completely is only of 10% significance (or not). Each individual will be different. Japanese live the longest and they eat rice all day.

Cheers.
    Last edited by djtetsu; 10-06-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast