Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Football primal? page 2

wiltondeportes Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    With football (in a small school, anyway) you two tribes battling it out for their school. The boys that are injured are expected to play though those injuries. Not much thought is given to whether that injury could be life long without proper rehabs.

The girls spend a lot of effort making signs to support thier boys and to cheers them on. In a small school, the boys that don't play football are outcastes who are thought of as not carrying about their school. The boys who don't play are second class students. Understand that in small schools well over half the school's boys can be on the team.

None of this is receprocated anywhere near as much with other sports. The less physical the boy's sport the less prestige that sport has.
    Interesting. I grew up in a small town where a 100 person student body used to exist, but I went to a HS in town with basically 4,000 kids. I played football, wrestling, baseball, and golf. I think football might have given me more prestige, but there were lots of other avenues for this 'honor' that a male might be seeking. Maybe in a small school, you really only have time and money to afford a couple programs. For instance, there is this singer I saw recently at an Italian festival who's 19, and he had girls ALL over him. He could have been in some performing arts at my school, but I can't imagine much going on in a school with a single classroom per grade level.

Westly is offline Senior Member
    Playing? Yes.

Watching...not so much.
    Down from 275 to 250!
    Werewolf Primal Living Blog - http://lycanthropology.com
    Some fact, a lot of fiction! Keep track of my progress there!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    I'm watching (prolly not primal) college football today and was wondering if it was primal. I'll acquiesce that te padding isn't.
    Only rugby football. LOL

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Only rugby football. LOL

Rugby player loses testicle after final defeat - CNN.com
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    I think Football is relatively primal. It is mostly either sprinting or brief explosions of pushing and shoving. The one area where it probably falters is that the dynamics of the game favor massive, unhealthily large offensive linemen, which of creates an arms race of almost equally large defensive linemen to stand up to them and that is probably the driving factor in the atrocious life expectancy of professional football players.

A more interesting question perhaps, which sport is most primal?

American Football
    European Football (soccer)
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Australian Rules Football

I would say Rugby Union is most primal.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JWBooth View Post
    I think Football is relatively primal. It is mostly either sprinting or brief explosions of pushing and shoving. The one area where it probably falters is that the dynamics of the game favor massive, unhealthily large offensive linemen, which of creates an arms race of almost equally large defensive linemen to stand up to them and that is probably the driving factor in the atrocious life expectancy of professional football players.

A more interesting question perhaps, which sport is most primal?

American Football
    European Football (soccer)
    Rugby Union
    Rugby League
    Australian Rules Football

I would say Rugby Union is most primal.
    I disagree. Football has a couple more things going for it. One, there's a huge variety of skills on the field at any given moment. There are 5'8" 180 cornerbacks, 6'6" 260 tight ends, and 6'2" 320 offensive guards. There are throwers as well as kickers. Secondly, there's a lot of strategy that goes into the utilizing of these talents. What is rugby but a bunch of running and tackling? Football is that too, but I imagine the comparison like this. Put a football team in the wild using their passing attack, their blitzing, their zone defense, their offensive line, etc against a rugby team that is basically utilizing strategy that American football moved past back in the 1930's or 40's. The American football team wins.

If you play any of these games in your backyard, American football is most dynamic too. Forget about the spectator sport aspect of it. I played a lot of tackle football growing up with no pads just like rugby would be. People only play football with pads when they are in actual leagues. It's for good reason too! The game can be violent, and people don't want to die because of a game.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Only rugby football. LOL

Look...Its our gorgeous boyz
    xxxx
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Liam is offline Member
    If the players are naked or wearing furs and the 'ball' is an inflated bladder - it's primal.
    Last edited by Liam; 10-11-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure serious football violates the "Don't do stupid things" rule, so no. On the other hand, how many of us are playing serious football?

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    If the players are naked
    naked rugby....hmmmmm....theres a thought !!!!!!
    I know its sad !!!!! But sometimes us old Gwammas enjoy a THOUGHT !!!!!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast